What Will Be Your Personal Response to the Trump Ascendancy?

Started by mongers, November 09, 2016, 04:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

So your guy have collectively elected an near infinite ego to the world's most powerful political position.

Whether you were for or against him, how are you going to deal with a four year Trump presidency?

What is going to be your personal response to his 'policies'?

For me, being a western foreigner, I figure it like this, I'm going to be one of the last few percentage of the world population directly affected my any of his random, egotistical or deluded actions.  So I reckon I've got a good chance of carrying out my policy with regard to Trump.

And it's this, I'm assuming America has replaced the office of the president with that of the world's largest reality TV show, it'll be other people in Washington and elsewhere who will still engage in politics, but perhaps within a somewhat different framework.

I've found I pretty mush ignore all celebrity gossips and all the bollocks associated with reality TV; I still have no clear idea who JZ is, what Kimmy Kardishianos does and am only vaguely aware that Ozzie Osbourne is still alive and married to someone now more famous.

So I guess I can have a good stab at entirely ignoring anything to do with Trump and the circus that'll spring up around him. If I stay away from Facebook and all that attendant silliness and limit my news watching/reading to more long term stuff and less rolling news coverage, I think I can get away with just knowing Trump is a tool and that the four year fiasco is something Americans have to endure, rather than me.

I should also point out, lest I be thought a snob, we here have our on comedy of errors, namely 'Dave, Nigel and Theresa's Brexit Vicarage Farce' to keep us entertained for the next few years.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Business as usual. I will be mildly surprised if there is fundamental change in the US. They've certainly had crap presidents before, if in fact he turns out to be crap.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Hamilcar

I will continue to enjoy a favorable exchange rate when I go shopping during visits to the States.

celedhring

If I believed in something I'd pray that he doesn't gut the H-1B visa system before I get the chance to apply for one. Other than that, honestly there's little I can do from here.  :hmm:

We don't even have our own far-right insurgent movement to worry about. Man, as usual Spain is so behind the times.

Hamilcar

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2016, 04:08:46 PM
If I believed in something I'd pray that he doesn't gut the H-1B visa system before I get the chance to apply for one.

Go for an O-1 "Alien of Extraordinary Ability". No limits.

celedhring

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 09, 2016, 04:10:31 PM
If I believed in something I'd pray that he doesn't gut the H-1B visa system before I get the chance to apply for one.

Go for an O-1 "Alien of Extraordinary Ability". No limits.

But I'd need extraordinary ability for that.  :hmm:

To be honest, though, I have had colleagues get one on rather average merits.

alfred russel

We don't even have our own far-right insurgent movement to worry about. Man, as usual Spain is so behind the times.

You've already gone far right. You aren't so much behind as at a different point in the cycle.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on November 09, 2016, 04:02:43 PM
only vaguely aware that Ozzie Osbourne is still alive and married to someone now more famous.

More famous than him? Nah.

My main worry is that the Republicans take away my health care. Other than that, life will go on as usual. WW3 is still a distant possibility which I can do nothing about, so it does no good to worry about it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

If I believed in something I'd pray that he doesn't gut the H-1B visa system before I get the chance to apply for one. Other than that, honestly there's little I can do from here.  :hmm:

Don't you guys not even have a government?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Monoriu

No response.  There really is no use getting angry over it.  The trends in the US have shifted, and like so many other things in the world, I have zero control over it.  Life goes on.  I do think the people are too emotionally invested in elections that they have no control over. 

viper37

Quote from: mongers on November 09, 2016, 04:02:43 PM
What is going to be your personal response to his 'policies'?
Buy a gun.  The type that can't be legally bought.  Lots of ammo.  Reinforce the doors and the windows.  The guy seems to have a huge fan club in an around the area that will be the most affected by his policies, things will turn desperate when all these people are laid off due to lack of demand for our exports.

Business wise, it's gonna be tough.  I depend on clients having money to spend.  My clients depend on Americans having money to buy their product.  As America gets poorer and the trade diminishes, the local industries will stop investing to expand their business, that means less contract for me.  The Trudeau government is set to raise income taxes on filthy business owners like me and corporate tax income as well.  His policies of endebtment will provide a short term boost to Ontario's economy, but that's too far for me.  Within 4-5 years, we will get to the aftershock and things will be dire, combined to the US declining economy.

My dream of touring the US east coast up to Texas is postponed forever.  No way I'm setting foot in a land that blames foreigners for all their problems.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Quote from: Scipio on November 09, 2016, 04:29:09 PM

Don't you guys not even have a government?

We do now, your regular corrupt establishment conservatives.

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on November 09, 2016, 04:29:48 PM
No response.  There really is no use getting angry over it.  The trends in the US have shifted, and like so many other things in the world, I have zero control over it.  Life goes on.  I do think the people are too emotionally invested in elections that they have no control over.

We don't have any control over natural disasters, either. But people still get upset when a storm blows their house down.

Trump has promised to gut the trade agreements that have major impact on the economic viability of our countries. That can hit us right in the pocket-book, signaling a downward economic spiral. The damage of this will not be confined to the US.  Now, it could well be that he's simply lying, no way to tell.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

dps

I've already checked, and unfortunately the company I work for doesn't do business in Belize.  So it's either move to Belize and find a new job, or stay here and grin and bear it.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?