News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on August 16, 2023, 03:38:25 PMWorked in the Nuremberg Trials. :P

It was a different time. -_-

But back in the 90s-2000s there was a push in Canada to run these massive gang prosecutions with many multiples of defendants on trial at once.  There's a huge courtroom in the basement of the Edmonton courthouse set up to run like 10-20 defendant trials.

It's mostly unused.  There just wind up being so many delays with that many people.  Better to run multiple trials if you have to rather than one megatrial.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on August 16, 2023, 02:23:44 PMMy only comment is that in our experience in Canada trying to run a trial with something like 19 co-accuseds tends to crash and burn from just the sheer size and weight of matters.

Big RICO prosecutions have long been a staple of American legal life, for better or worse.  It is more common in the federal system, but some big city DAs use them too, and this particular prosecutor has past experience.

There are a lot of defendants, but some may be dismissed before trial, some may succeed in severing their cases, and some may do deals. Willis is not on the clock the way Smith is, she can let this play out and proceed deliberately.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on August 16, 2023, 03:49:46 PM
Quote from: Zanza on August 16, 2023, 03:38:25 PMWorked in the Nuremberg Trials. :P

But back in the 90s-2000s there was a push in Canada to run these massive gang prosecutions with many multiples of defendants on trial at once.  There's a huge courtroom in the basement of the Edmonton courthouse set up to run like 10-20 defendant trials.

It's mostly unused.  There just wind up being so many delays with that many people.  Better to run multiple trials if you have to rather than one megatrial.

In Montreal, they built an entire court house for those megatrials. It's connected to the nearby prison by an underground tunnel. AFAIK, like the Edmonton one, it mostly sits empty.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 16, 2023, 05:40:32 PM

In Montreal, they built an entire court house for those megatrials. It's connected to the nearby prison by an underground tunnel. AFAIK, like the Edmonton one, it mostly sits empty.

As does the one in Vancouver.

viper37

They tried it for the Hell's Angels trials in Montreal, as GF hinted.  It failed miserably.  But our situation is different.  The Jordan rule, for one.  They don't have such strict delays to obey in the US.  

Other trial rules may be different.  Their Supreme court is much less lenient toward the accused than our.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2023, 06:30:44 PM

They tried it for the Hell's Angels trials in Montreal, as GF hinted.  It failed miserably.  But our situation is different.  The Jordan rule, for one.  They don't have such strict delays to obey in the US. 

Other trial rules may be different.  Their Supreme court is much less lenient toward the accused than our.

R v Jordan (the seminal case about delay in criminal proceedings for non-Canadians) is indeed the killer here.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Apparently the names and addresses of the grand jurors in Georgia have been leaked?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Syt on August 16, 2023, 11:37:15 PMApparently the names and addresses of the grand jurors in Georgia have been leaked?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/names-addresses-grand-jurors-georgia-trump-indictment-posted-online-rcna100239

QuoteTrump supporters post names and addresses of Georgia grand jurors online

A fringe website featured the purported names and addresses of the Fulton County grand jury that indicted Trump and 18 other people for their efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

ATLANTA — The purported names and addresses of members of the grand jury that indicted Donald Trump and 18 of his co-defendants on state racketeering charges this week have been posted on a fringe website that often features violent rhetoric, NBC News has learned.

NBC News is choosing not to name the website featuring the addresses to avoid further spreading the information.

The Fulton County District Attorney's Office declined to comment. District Attorney Fani Willis faced racist threats ahead of the return of the indictment, and additional security measures were put in place, with some employees being allowed to work from home.

The grand jurors' purported addresses were spotted by Advance Democracy, a nonpartisan research group founded by Daniel J. Jones, a former FBI investigator and staffer for the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee.

"It's becoming all too commonplace to see everyday citizens performing necessary functions for our democracy being targeted with violent threats by Trump-supporting extremists," Jones said. "The lack of political leadership on the right to denounce these threats — which serve to inspire real-world political violence — is shameful."

Advance Democracy also noted that users were posting the names and images of people believed to have been grand jurors on other social media sites. The posts asserted that the jurors had posted on social media in support of Sens. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and Raphael Warnock, D-Ga., former President Barack Obama and the Black Lives Matter movement.

The indictment issued Monday lists the names of the grand jury members but not their addresses or other personal information.

Tuesday — after Trump posted on his social media website that authorities were going "after those that fought to find the RIGGERS!" — Advance Democracy said Trump supporters were "using the term 'rigger' in lieu of a racial slur" in posts.

The Fulton County Sheriff's Office, which is handling the surrender of Trump and his co-defendants over the next 10 days, declined to comment.

"We are not commenting on any issues related to grand jury security," said Natalie Ammons, a spokeswoman for the sheriff's office.

The FBI did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The grand jurors have come under attack in the days since Trump's indictment, the fourth criminal indictment brought against the twice-impeached former president.

"These jurors have signed their death warrant by falsely indicting President Trump," a post on a pro-Trump forum read in response to a post including the names of jurors, which was viewed by NBC News.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

Of all his complaints, that one sounds fair. Being accompanied by federal agents 24/7 and being one of the most recognizable persons in the world should mean you are not a flight risk.

The Minsky Moment

No it is not fair.

First, the bond was entered by consent, so if Trump thinks it is unreasonable, that is a complaint he should be addressing to his own lawyers who negotiated and agreed to the amount.

Second, the concern is not so much "flight risk" to exotic foreign climes, but ensuring that the defendant will show up in court and on time for all appearances.  The concern is not that he will fly the Trump airplane to Venezuela, but that he will decide that he doesn't feel like accommodating the Court's schedule and removing himself from Mar-a-lago or Bedminster for a given mandatory appearance.  That IMO is a realistic risk for Donald. 

In assessing bail, the principal element that courts look at is ties to the community - i.e. Fulton County in this case, where Trump has no ties.  The Court also considers financial capacity including the amount needed to realistically impact the decision to appear.   

The bond amount in this case was very reasonable under the circumstances for Trump, which was why his attorneys were so quick to agree.  It looks to me more like Willis lowballed to get the process moving.   
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Looks like he's scheming to steal Christmas
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.