And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Admiral Yi

The problem for Trump with martial law would be the law part.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: katmai on December 19, 2020, 04:15:34 PM
I look forward to Jan 20th when his ass is banned from Twitter and he ends up on parler (?)

WTF are they waiting for?  He is a president not a king. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2020, 08:44:39 AM

Heh but martial law in the US context just mean suspending the writ of habeas corpus - Trump may not understand what it means but doing things he doesn't understand has never been an obstacle.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

I'm less concerned about what Trump may not understand than I am with what the people with guns might not understand.  Once you get to the point of solving political conflict with martial means, it matters less what the piece of paper says it means, and matters more what the people with guns think it means.

The Minsky Moment

"Martial law" can't achieve the goals the President want.  Even if he could legally invoke the Suspension clause (he can't) it would not give him authority to hold "new elections" and if he did those "new elections" would have no more significance or effect than a languish internet poll.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Trump brought Flynn in to talk about Flynn's wacky claims, and the adults stepped in and stopped it.  There's nothing new here.

If we had a Senate interested in its constitutional duties, we'd have already seen them firing a shot across the Trump admin's bow regarding talk about martial law.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

katmai

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 20, 2020, 12:02:44 PM
"Martial law" can't achieve the goals the President want.  Even if he could legally invoke the Suspension clause (he can't) it would not give him authority to hold "new elections" and if he did those "new elections" would have no more significance or effect than a languish internet poll.
now wait ne god damn minute. I am the Languish asshole, can't take that away from me.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Solmyr

The crazies over on TDW seem to think that martial law and mass arrests are Trump's endgame. They are also planning mass protests on January 6th to influence the vote counting.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2020, 08:44:39 AM

Maybe he could just pass martial arts instead?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

The chairwoman of the AZ GOP. I kind of love that after all the comparisons with various historical authoritarians including Caesar, someone's literally calling on Trump to #CrosstheRubicon :lol:
QuoteDr. Kelli Ward
@kelliwardaz
Mr. President @realDonaldTrump - we are with you in #Arizona. We are working every avenue to stop this coup & to stop our Republic from crumbing. Patriots are united. Those who are against us are exposing themselves. #Liberty & #freedom are on the line. #CrossTheRubicon @GenFlynn
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

"Those who are against us are exposing themselves."

She speaks the truth--see Jeffrey Toobin.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 20, 2020, 02:55:31 PM
The chairwoman of the AZ GOP. I kind of love that after all the comparisons with various historical authoritarians including Caesar, someone's literally calling on Trump to #CrosstheRubicon :lol:

You will have to excuse me if I do love the current situation that much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on December 20, 2020, 12:47:57 PM
Trump brought Flynn in to talk about Flynn's wacky claims, and the adults stepped in and stopped it.  There's nothing new here.

If we had a Senate interested in its constitutional duties, we'd have already seen them firing a shot across the Trump admin's bow regarding talk about martial law.

The President brought in a US army general that was in the pay of foreign nations to discuss over launching a coup inside the US, that's nothing new to you?  You were in the US military, is this sort of thing common?  Did you have a similar conversation with President Adams or is this just an army thing?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 20, 2020, 02:55:31 PM
someone's literally calling on Trump to #CrosstheRubicon :lol:

That one also originates from TDW (yeah, I've been reading stuff over there for a few days :Embarrass: ).