News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Is there any limit to what he can do?  What if he pardons every federal criminal for shits and giggles?  Is there any remedy other than fulfilling that order with resignation?  Or is there some force majeure clause somewhere that can nullify such gross abuse?

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on November 02, 2020, 09:39:04 AM
Is there any limit to what he can do?  What if he pardons every federal criminal for shits and giggles?  Is there any remedy other than fulfilling that order with resignation?  Or is there some force majeure clause somewhere that can nullify such gross abuse?

Relax. The President is elected by the entire American people after a period of intense scrutiny, and in competition with several highly experienced and skilled politicians. The chances of an evil moran being made President seem remote.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Is there any limit to what he can do?  What if he pardons every federal criminal for shits and giggles?  Is there any remedy other than fulfilling that order with resignation?

Yes but it would require the cooperation of the wardens of the federal prisons system

In United States v. Wilson, 32 U.S. 150, 161, 8 L. Ed. 640 (1833), Justice Marshall held that "[a] pardon is a deed, to the validity of which, delivery is essential, and delivery is not complete, without acceptance." (i.e. unlike the commission in Marbury where delivery was purely ministerial). That precedent was relied on by US Grant in revoking 2 pardons issues by Andrew Johnson at the end of his presidency.  The federal wardens let the pardons set in their correspondence pile untouched until Grant was inaugurated and revoked them.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on November 02, 2020, 09:44:57 AM

Relax. The President is elected by the entire American people after a period of intense scrutiny, and in competition with several highly experienced and skilled politicians. The chances of an evil moran being made President seem remote.

No more than 30% according to Nate Silver.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

The Brain

For Patriotic Pi I don't think 4 is enough. 5 or even 6 will make it the greatest Pi ever.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2020, 03:49:46 PM
This order will do jack shit.

Assuming he wins re-election, he probably won't get around to appointing anyone to the commission. In the unlikely event he does, they will probably issue a few ineffective statements.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

The feds don't have power over education, do they?

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on November 02, 2020, 04:10:03 PM

They have some spending power, but no Education is a state / local concern.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on November 02, 2020, 02:58:05 PM

This guy is such an idiot.  You don't go announcing new policies or promises the day before the election!  If you think this is important you announce it months ago, then keep bringing it up afterwards.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on November 02, 2020, 04:11:28 PM

So I guess they could resort to the "do this or I'm witholding funds" trick?

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on November 02, 2020, 04:15:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 02, 2020, 04:11:28 PM

So I guess they could resort to the "do this or I'm witholding funds" trick?

They can only do that to enforce compliance with laws, not whims.  The Trump Administration that tried to hold back funds unless schools taught that Trump did more for American Blacks than Lincoln would be sued right off the planet.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on November 02, 2020, 02:58:05 PM

And you know that so many people aren't going to understand the irony in this tweet. :cry:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...