News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2020, 03:31:48 PM
Is he?  He didn't campaign for prez, either in the primiaries or the general as anything other than a centrist managerial can do type.
This is because, unlike Trump, he is actually a skilled politician and knows he needs to appeal to the center to win a general election.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2020, 03:42:27 PM
Is he?  He didn't campaign for prez, either in the primiaries or the general as anything other than a centrist managerial can do type.
This is because, unlike Trump, he is actually a skilled politician and knows he needs to appeal to the center to win a general election.

:hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

:lol:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

But you have pulled aside the veil and determined he is seriously conservative?  How so?

Sheilbh

Quote from: PJL on October 15, 2020, 03:18:00 PM
Of course it could be that Republicans think Trump is toast in this election (at least privately), so that is why it's being rushed through. Either way, it's ironically a good thing for the Democrats electorally.
I think they do - see McConnell's comments and today's comments from Sasse. It doesn't strike me as the behaviour of a party that's confident in their incumbent President.

QuoteIs he?  He didn't campaign for prez, either in the primiaries or the general as anything other than a centrist managerial can do type.
He ran in 2008 as the social conservative candidate. Now admittedly I think that was fake and voters saw through it and went with the real deal (Huckabee). I also think that fakeness is why McCain held him in such disdain.

QuotePence is the tie breaker AFAIK.
I knew that for legislation but wasn't sure for nominees especially to the Supreme Court. Seems odd in a way to have a member of the executive able to vote (in rare circumstances) on the executive's nominee.

QuoteAll it takes is one defector on the Judiciary Committee, which is split 12-10.  On a tie vote, the committee will not forward the nomination.
Sure but looking at the list of members are any of them likely to, or even want to vote against? (It also strikes me as a committee you probably wouldn't want potential rebels/moderates/independent-minded people on - I could be wrong.)
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

You can take the man out of Utah, but you can't take Utah out of the man.
Especially when the man goes back to Utah.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 15, 2020, 04:01:12 PM
I knew that for legislation but wasn't sure for nominees especially to the Supreme Court. Seems odd in a way to have a member of the executive able to vote (in rare circumstances) on the executive's nominee.

I said AFAIK because I can't remember a tie break on a nomination.

But hey, you gotta give the veep *something* to do.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2020, 04:03:03 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 15, 2020, 04:01:12 PM

I said AFAIK because I can't remember a tie break on a nomination.

But hey, you gotta give the veep *something* to do.
Yeah - that was not meant as a snipe. Just explaining why I'm asking.

I can't imagine a more dis-spiritng administration to be VP in than Trump's. You're basically just room meat, except when you have serious duties available like effusively praising the President.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 15, 2020, 04:05:05 PM
Yeah - that was not meant as a snipe. Just explaining why I'm asking.

Not taken as one.

FunkMonk

Just think of it. On Earth 2, after 8 years of a Romney presidency, this election could have been between Vice President Ryan and, say, Senator Warren.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2020, 12:56:24 PM
Quote from: Maladict on October 15, 2020, 04:42:31 AM
QuoteSupreme court nominee Amy Coney Barrett refused to say whether she accepts the science of climate change, under questioning from Kamala Harris, saying she lacked the expertise to know for sure and calling it a topic too controversial to get into.

This is going to be very helpful for our future  <_<

"Too controversial to get into"??? Does she know what job she's interviewing for???

Aren't these hearings usually a letany of non-answers by the candidates?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on October 15, 2020, 04:37:32 PM
Aren't these hearings usually a letany of non-answers by the candidates?

I refuse to participate in this high tech lynching.