News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 14, 2020, 06:29:42 PM
What's the difference between you saying reversing certain precedents would be inconcievable and Supreme Court nominee saying reversing certain precedents would be inconceivable?

I'm not really saying that reversing certain precedents would be inconceivable; that is my characterization of Gerhardt's descriptive argument about super-precedents which I don't necessarily agree with.  The past 4 years have reminded us in America that the scope of what is politically conceivable is broader than previously assumed.

That's why I think the whole discussion of super-precedents is really insider baseball.  There aren't dozens of major law review articles talking about it, the concept isn't being taught in ConLaw classes, and it isn't being cited in judicial opinions - although if (when?) Barret is confirmed that could change.

grumbler gets at the reason why this comes up. Respect for precedent is a classic conservative position and yet one of the more radical conservative schools of jurisprudence - originalism - doesn't really have that respect. There are intellectual battles within the conservative legal-academic community in the US between originalists like Scalia and non-originalists like Alito and there are those who seek to bridge the gap.  Barrett's article strikes me as being firmly in the latter camp - an attempt to suggest a via media where originalist methods are applied generally while protecting a core group of special precedents from originalist critique on more conventional Burkean grounds.  It's a discussion that may animate federalist society dinners but doesn't necessarily have a ton of relevance for those outside the conservative-academic bubble
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Thank you for the very clear and informative answer Joan.

Maladict

QuoteSupreme court nominee Amy Coney Barrett refused to say whether she accepts the science of climate change, under questioning from Kamala Harris, saying she lacked the expertise to know for sure and calling it a topic too controversial to get into.

This is going to be very helpful for our future  <_<

merithyn

Quote from: Maladict on October 15, 2020, 04:42:31 AM
QuoteSupreme court nominee Amy Coney Barrett refused to say whether she accepts the science of climate change, under questioning from Kamala Harris, saying she lacked the expertise to know for sure and calling it a topic too controversial to get into.

This is going to be very helpful for our future  <_<

"Too controversial to get into"??? Does she know what job she's interviewing for???
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

Could be read as "I don't want to piss off the Republican senators and lose their vote."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on October 15, 2020, 01:09:20 PM
Could be read as "I don't want to piss off the Republican senators and lose their vote."

Yeah...lots of danger of that happening.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I mean... couldn't she just say "I'm going to ban baby murder and FUCK ALL'YALL BITCHES" and still get confirmed? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2020, 01:27:24 PM
I mean... couldn't she just say "I'm going to ban baby murder and FUCK ALL'YALL BITCHES" and still get confirmed? :hmm:

Yes.

But she couldn't say "I'm going to ban baby murder, save obamacare, GREEN NEW DEAL FTW and FUCK ALL'YALL BITCHES".
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

Eddie Teach

Zoupa

Eddie Teach

Valmy

Look she is going to be on the USSC. There is really nothing that can be done to stop it. Just have to win elections.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I don't think she's a done deal yet.  Still a chance of a couple more no votes popping up.