News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 19, 2020, 01:19:42 AM
There are SO many vile evil and disgusting things Trump and his followers have said and done, there is no need to make up nonsense like they chose this red triangle because they knew it was a labour camp sign. Nobody knew that on this forum either 48 hours ago.

Trying to mobilise their support base with what is basically inciting to violence is still evil, but it is standard evil, and not Hitler cosplay.

Except that it is entirely plausible given that we are talking about an administration that loves a dog whistle, employees people like Stephen Miller and at various times been positive about white nationalists.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on June 19, 2020, 01:50:33 AM
There are SO many vile evil and disgusting things Trump and his followers have said and done, there is no need to make up nonsense like they chose this red triangle because they knew it was a labour camp sign. Nobody knew that on this forum either 48 hours ago.

Trying to mobilise their support base with what is basically inciting to violence is still evil, but it is standard evil, and not Hitler cosplay.

Except that it is entirely plausible given that we are talking about an administration that loves a dog whistle, employees people like Stephen Miller and at various times been positive about white nationalists.

I wanted t write that most I can imagine from that lot is that some low level nazi cosplay wanker suggested the symbol because  they knew what it was and it got approved out of ignorance.

Having thought about it a bit more, however, I actually think you might be right in terms that it was deliberate.

Things like this have worked wonders for Fidesz in Hungary as well and for Trump.

Look at us. We are debating why they used a red triangle as it makes any difference. Trump makes a couple more tweets with it and everyone forgets this Bolton book ever got published while they furiously argue over the ridiculous point of "Does Trump want to recreate Nazi Germany?"

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 19, 2020, 02:44:00 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 19, 2020, 01:50:33 AM

I wanted t write that most I can imagine from that lot is that some low level nazi cosplay wanker suggested the symbol because  they knew what it was and it got approved out of ignorance.

Having thought about it a bit more, however, I actually think you might be right in terms that it was deliberate.

Things like this have worked wonders for Fidesz in Hungary as well and for Trump.

Look at us. We are debating why they used a red triangle as it makes any difference. Trump makes a couple more tweets with it and everyone forgets this Bolton book ever got published while they furiously argue over the ridiculous point of "Does Trump want to recreate Nazi Germany?"

But I'm not taking that stance. I'm thinking that given the amount of hate that surrounds and is produced by this administration, it isn't all that surprising that someone on the campaign could have decided to use this symbol with knowledge of what it meant.

I don't think it is some conspiracy theory of distraction as, while I see it is now on major news outlets, its all about Facebook taking it down. I also don't think they need a great distraction from Bolton's book. Personally, I've no interest in any of these tell all books given that they are coming from people who were in the inner circle and thus to varying extents supported the administration and then suddenly once they are no longer part of the gang want to expose all to make some money.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Talk for yourself.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on June 19, 2020, 05:02:03 AM

Talk for yourself.

Indeed!

Admiral Yi

PredicitIt.org has the odds at 57/43, which is a big change since I last checked the betting markets (on other sites).

Admiral Yi

Woops.  Maybe election thread better fit.

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on June 18, 2020, 08:36:07 PM
I paid $6 for the Kindle version. If that makes him rich, okay? Also, he was never subpoenaed, and still worked for Trump at the time.

Do I like the guy? No. Do I think he has something worth saying? Yes, yes I do.

Sounds like it is going to make him extremely wealthy. He will probably sell a few million books.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on June 19, 2020, 06:30:33 AM

Talk for yourself.

Indeed!

If I showed you a red triangle, say, last week, and you would have associated to the Nazi death camp ID label assigned to political prisoners, then, I guess, good for you.

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on June 19, 2020, 08:17:22 AM
Quote from: merithyn on June 18, 2020, 08:36:07 PM
I paid $6 for the Kindle version. If that makes him rich, okay? Also, he was never subpoenaed, and still worked for Trump at the time.

Do I like the guy? No. Do I think he has something worth saying? Yes, yes I do.

Sounds like it is going to make him extremely wealthy. He will probably sell a few million books.

Less than 20 books a year sell a million copies, and most of them are fiction.  Fear did it in 2018, but Bolton is no Bob Woodward.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Besides the royalties for authors are only a small part of the sales price. Way under 20%, even for top authors, IIRC. For digital sales it's probably higher.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 19, 2020, 08:42:56 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 19, 2020, 06:30:33 AM

Talk for yourself.

Indeed!

If I showed you a red triangle, say, last week, and you would have associated to the Nazi death camp ID label assigned to political prisoners, then, I guess, good for you.

I don't really get this argument that you (and BB) are advancing. Because you couldn't recognize something, it therefore must be people overreacting?

I went to Dachau less than two years ago and saw recall seeing this artwork that made prominent use of it*.

*Though incidentally, my tour guide noted that when that memorial was built they didn't want to highlight gays (pink) and perhaps a few of the other badges

The Minsky Moment

It's possible it is just a coincidence that Trump used the Nazi symbol for labelling left wing political "deviant" groups, in labelling a left wing "deviant" group.  I would be more confident in accepting the coincidental explanation were it not for the fact that someone on Trump's team is feeding him lines from George Wallace.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 19, 2020, 08:55:26 AM
It's possible it is just a coincidence that Trump used the Nazi symbol for labelling left wing political "deviant" groups, in labelling a left wing "deviant" group.  I would be more confident in accepting the coincidental explanation were it not for the fact that someone on Trump's team is feeding him lines from George Wallace.

Indeed.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on June 19, 2020, 08:54:46 AM
Besides the royalties for authors are only a small part of the sales price. Way under 20%, even for top authors, IIRC. For digital sales it's probably higher.
There's actually been really interesting twitter threads in light of BLM of different authors revealing their royalty cut and advances - largely because if it's not public then it's difficult to know if there is a difference. Obviously this isn't the fault of the authors, but there is an unsurprisingly large gulf (especially on advances) between white men and black women.

QuoteIt's possible it is just a coincidence that Trump used the Nazi symbol for labelling left wing political "deviant" groups, in labelling a left wing "deviant" group.  I would be more confident in accepting the coincidental explanation were it not for the fact that someone on Trump's team is feeding him lines from George Wallace.
Agreed. There is someone who is really running through the deep cuts of white supremacist language - e.g. "the looting starts, the shooting starts" (chief of Miami police in 1968 - interestingly Trump thought it was from Frank Rizzo and that was, somehow, better  :lol: :blink: I really think so much of Trump is just New York/big city politics in the 70s) etc.
Let's bomb Russia!