And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 10, 2020, 02:15:22 PM
DJT tweeted:

QuoteIt has been suggested that we should rename as many as 10 of our Legendary Military Bases, such as Fort Bragg in North Carolina, Fort Hood in Texas, Fort Benning in Georgia, etc. These Monumental and very Powerful Bases have become part of a Great American Heritage, and a...

...history of Winning, Victory, and Freedom. The United States of America trained and deployed our HEROES on these Hallowed Grounds, and won two World Wars. Therefore, my Administration will not even consider the renaming of these Magnificent and Fabled Military Installations...

...Our history as the Greatest Nation in the World will not be tampered with. Respect our Military!

The Army Secretary said yesterday he was open to renaming army bases named after Confederate generals.

Donald focusing HARD on the Leeaboo vote!

Not knowing the particulars of the individuals thus honored, I've always found fascinating that there are *army bases* named after rebels to the US government.  :lol:

Valmy

You have to understand the agenda behind them. The federal government had a big interest in re-incorporating the former Confederate states and eventually this led to a general agreement to just pretend the Civil War was just a big misunderstanding and everybody was right. So we have the general acceptance of the Lost Cause history and celebration of Confederate heroes as a politically correct version of history in order to achieve this political goal.

Most of this went on with the impotent rage of the Union veterans in the background. There is quite a colorful collection of letters to the editor of northern newspapers of angry vets denouncing what was going on. They were under quite a bit of pressure to reconcile with their Confederate counterparts and have nice photo ops of them shaking hands and such.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2020, 03:53:57 PM
Holy shit.

I wonder if we are going to see another explosion of defiant Confederate Flags like I had to endure down here a couple years ago.

So, not over it, eh?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Normally with rebellions it's good policy to punish the leaders (which in this case would mean hanging Lee and all CSA generals and political leaders), and then look at the grievances that led to rebellion and see how you can improve on that front. Unfortunately this rebellion was about keeping slavery, so meeting the ex-rebels halfway would carry a great human cost and lead to further problems. The US in its wisdom decided to pretend that Lee and his bois were basically decent people, and meet the South halfway by allowing great formal and informal oppression of ex-slaves and their descendants. And here we are 150 years later with the Civil War still a live issue, an issue that should have been laid to rest at least a century ago.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on June 10, 2020, 03:52:06 PM
I have the feeling that this is a big deal. Is it?

I thought it was already banned by Brian France.  That was one of the two good things he did for the sport, the other one being the DUI incident that got him removed.  I looked it up, though, and it turns out that his ban in 2015 didn't stick.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Trump just wrote "These Monumental and very Powerful Bases have become part of a Great American Heritage, and a... ....history of Winning, Victory, and Freedom. The United States of America trained and deployed our HEROES on these Hallowed Grounds, and won two World Wars. Therefore, my Administration will not even consider the renaming of these Magnificent and Fabled Military Installations."

If there are two thing I associate with winning, victory, and freedom it's Braxton Bragg and John Bell Hood.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

If this keeps up, we'll never see Dukes of Hazzard reruns ever again.  :(

11B4V

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 10, 2020, 07:27:43 PM
If this keeps up, we'll never see Dukes of Hazzard reruns ever again.  :(

The NASCAR FB page is an epic meltdown. :lmfao:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 10, 2020, 04:29:20 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2020, 03:53:57 PM
Holy shit.

I wonder if we are going to see another explosion of defiant Confederate Flags like I had to endure down here a couple years ago.

So, not over it, eh?

Not the same thing. Unless people in Michigan are upset they won.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 10, 2020, 05:45:10 PM
Trump just wrote "These Monumental and very Powerful Bases have become part of a Great American Heritage, and a... ....history of Winning, Victory, and Freedom. The United States of America trained and deployed our HEROES on these Hallowed Grounds, and won two World Wars. Therefore, my Administration will not even consider the renaming of these Magnificent and Fabled Military Installations."

If there are two thing I associate with winning, victory, and freedom it's Braxton Bragg and John Bell Hood.

They did contribute to the destruction of an entire rebel army.

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2020, 09:05:56 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 10, 2020, 05:45:10 PM

They did contribute to the destruction of an entire rebel army.

True heroes
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

That Nascar thing is pretty big.  Surely someone will try to break the rule and create a scene at some point.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2020, 10:54:24 PM
That Nascar thing is pretty big.  Surely someone will try to break the rule and create a scene at some point.

This fresh off my sisters' Facebook:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Internet rants are all well and good, but don't compare in entertainment value to news clips of red necks brawling with Nascar security.