News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Two people of color in total, if you don't count Trump.  Both getting an early introduction to being marginalized.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on June 09, 2020, 05:01:07 PM
Two people of color in total, if you don't count Trump.  Both getting an early introduction to being marginalized.

I think I saw a couple of Asian faces in the back rows, but still not a lot.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2020, 05:51:38 PM
I think I saw a couple of Asian faces in the back rows, but still not a lot.

I see two in the second row.

The number of high and tight haircuts on the dudes is interesting.

PRC

I wonder if the Secret Service allowed the Sikh intern in Obama's admin to keep his kirpan?

FunkMonk

DJT tweeted:

QuoteIt has been suggested that we should rename as many as 10 of our Legendary Military Bases, such as Fort Bragg in North Carolina, Fort Hood in Texas, Fort Benning in Georgia, etc. These Monumental and very Powerful Bases have become part of a Great American Heritage, and a...

...history of Winning, Victory, and Freedom. The United States of America trained and deployed our HEROES on these Hallowed Grounds, and won two World Wars. Therefore, my Administration will not even consider the renaming of these Magnificent and Fabled Military Installations...

...Our history as the Greatest Nation in the World will not be tampered with. Respect our Military!

The Army Secretary said yesterday he was open to renaming army bases named after Confederate generals.

Donald focusing HARD on the Leeaboo vote!
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

I always found that Fort Hood sends a bad message. It implies we are going to send our soldiers against fortified enemy positions across miles of open ground and then blame them when they all get killed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Really, Bragg as an example of winning?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on June 10, 2020, 02:57:26 PM
Really, Bragg as an example of winning?

:lol:

If he wants that fort to be named after a winner he should try Fort Thomas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Isn't naming southern bases after Losing Generals part of the reconciliation scheme? Maybe they are still needed in the end. The White south still hasn't gotten over losing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 10, 2020, 03:17:09 PM
Isn't naming southern bases after Losing Generals part of the reconciliation scheme? Maybe they are still needed in the end. The White south still hasn't gotten over losing.

Of course it was. And I think we have gotten over it. Few people remember who John Bell Hood was, it is just the name of that army base up by Killeen. I think it would be less people being upset at the great name of John Bell Hood being dishonored and more of the bother of changing something we are all used to for politically correct reasons (even if it was originally named that for politically correct reasons)

Grey Fox

Yes, it would just have 2 names from now on.

I still call where I live "Fabreville" even tho that city got merged in 1965, 19 years before my birth.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

I guess this is part of the same movement?

QuoteUS Navy joins Marines in moving to ban Confederate battle flag

(CNN)The Navy's top admiral has directed the drafting of an order that would prohibit displays of the Confederate battle flag, a move that takes place several months after the Marine Corps ordered a similar policy and comes as the Army has said it's open to renaming bases currently named after Confederate officers.

"The Chief of Naval Operations, Adm. Mike Gilday, has directed his staff to begin crafting an order that would prohibit the Confederate battle flag from all public spaces and work areas aboard Navy installations, ships, aircraft and submarines," Gilday's spokesman Cmdr. Nate Christensen said in a statement.

"The order is meant to ensure unit cohesion, preserve good order and discipline, and uphold the Navy's core values of honor, courage and commitment," he added.

The commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. David Berger, issued a similar policy banning the display of the flag on installations back in April.

"I am mindful that many people believe that flag to be a symbol of heritage or regional pride. But I am also mindful of the feelings of pain and rejection of those who inherited the cultural memory and present effects of the scourge of slavery in our country," Berger wrote, adding, "My intent is not to judge the specific meaning anyone ascribes to that symbol or declare someone's personally held view to be incorrect."

"Rather, I am focused solely on building a uniquely capable warfighting team whose members come from all walks of life and must learn to operate side-by-side," he continued.

Two US Defense officials previously told CNN that US Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, Secretary of Defense Mark Esper and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley are said to be open to holding a "bipartisan conversation" about renaming nearly a dozen major bases and installations that bear the names of Confederate military commanders.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 10, 2020, 03:24:25 PM
Yes, it would just have 2 names from now on.

I still call where I live "Fabreville" even tho that city got merged in 1965, 19 years before my birth.

Two names? Actually that gives me an idea. We could just rename the fort after another better Texas general: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hood_Simpson

Just call it Fort Hood Simpson. Problem solved.

Edit: If anybody knows how I can forward this brilliant idea on to the Pentagon let me know :P

The Larch

I have the feeling that this is a big deal. Is it?

Valmy

Holy shit.

I wonder if we are going to see another explosion of defiant Confederate Flags like I had to endure down here a couple years ago.