And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on April 02, 2020, 11:38:43 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 02, 2020, 11:17:14 AM

None of these are insider trading, and I think you know that.

I don't/didn't know that.

As I look at it again, the CDC one is at least arguable.  The CDC person is perhaps an insider.  I have to admit though I've never heard of insider trading being charged when one is simply trading in a basket of securities, and not specific stocks.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on April 01, 2020, 04:45:25 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 01, 2020, 03:43:41 PM
How is this legal? :blink:
https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/loeffler-reports-more-stock-sales-denies-wrongdoing/YFPDT3pChO873nuzNKa44K/

It seems like this is a critical part:

"Loeffler's campaign said an investment firm manages the stocks she and her husband own and neither of them has control over the day-to-day decisions to buy or sell fractions of their vast fortune."
I have non day-to-day control over a part of my portfolio.  I can still give instructions on where to invest or divest.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on April 02, 2020, 10:09:24 AM
Something I've never understood is where insider trading begins and legitimately obtained information ends.

For example:

-I am walking through a field and watch a delta jet crash a mile away. I immediately open my etrade app and short delta stock.
-I have a friend working at the CDC who tells me in January that this Corona thing is really bad news. So I short an index of hotel stocks.
-I am a high net worth individual who is concerned about this corona thing in January and hire investigators to go to China to figure out what is really going on. Based on what they report, which shows things are much worse than the Chinese government is letting on, I sell my stock holdings and short the S&P 500.
-I am the same high net worth individual as the bullet above, and after selling my stock holdings and short the S&P 500, I release the results of the information my investigators have gathered to the public, which causes the market to react negatively.
-I am an executive at a major company with insights that, for my company at least, the trends in consumer response are much stronger (or negative) than anticipated as a result of coronavirus. I buy (or sell) index mutual funds before this information is a part of an earnings release.
-I am on the team putting together the consumer sentiment survey. I know the survey results are much stronger than anticipated, so before the release I buy stocks.
-I am a high net worth individual who pays for a survey that mimics the methodology of the michigan consumer sentiment survey so I can know the results before it is released. I trade on this information.
insider tradings relies on using information that is not available to the other investors and the general public.

Except for the CDC thing, everything there is available to everyone.  The Delta jet crash will be noticed by a lot of people.  Being concerned about something and investigating is not the same as reading a confidential government report and then acting on it for your own personal gain.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2020, 10:21:59 AM
I always thought insider trading was just a company official sharing privileged information with an individual before the general public.  Does it cover privileged information that gets shared with a government agency?  I think it must, based on the Trading Places example of early information about orange harvests.
insider trading is technically any information not publicly available, that no one could legally have access to.

If I break into a Fortune 500 computer to steal quarterly results before they are published, that would be insider trading as well as theft and whatever the charges for hacking a computer network.

Not all countries prosecute all breaches at the same level.  I believe Russia allows insider trading.

viper37

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/jared-kushner-is-going-to-get-us-all-killed/ar-BB126cfb?li=AAggNb9
According to Sherman, when New York's governor, Andrew Cuomo, said that the state would need 30,000 ventilators at the apex of the coronavirus outbreak, Kushner decided that Cuomo was being alarmist. "I have all this data about I.C.U. capacity," Kushner reportedly said. "I'm doing my own projections, and I've gotten a lot smarter about this. New York doesn't need all the ventilators." (Dr. Anthony Fauci, the country's top expert on infectious diseases, has said he trusts Cuomo's estimate.)

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Man, this shit must be stronger than I thought.  :wacko:

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 02, 2020, 10:00:04 PM
wHaT BEauTiFUl eDItInG jOB. 
editing a message with fonts,sizes,urls, never works for me on this board, or at least not wihtout a lot of work, like editing a message 3-4 times to add, then remove, than move around the tags manually.  Or I copy/paste in Notepad and remove all the extranenous tags that get copied than repost here.

I'll just dispense with the preview from now on.

Oexmelin

I was just teasing you. And yeah, the various tags make it frequently a pain.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
16h
Just spoke to my friend MBS (Crown Prince) of Saudi Arabia, who spoke with President Putin of Russia, & I expect & hope that they will be cutting back approximately 10 Million Barrels, and maybe substantially more which, if it happens, will be GREAT for the oil & gas industry!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

I thought he was recently saying that low gas prices were great for the economy and now he is saying how great higher gas prices will be for the economy. Ah well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2020, 01:58:06 AM
I thought he was recently saying that low gas prices were great for the economy and now he is saying how great higher gas prices will be for the economy. Ah well.

No, he says high prices will be good for the oil & gas industry. ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on April 03, 2020, 02:04:57 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2020, 01:58:06 AM

No, he says high prices will be good for the oil & gas industry. ;)

Well yeah I guess it all depends on how you spin it :P

But high prices are also good for Venezuela, Russia, Saudi, and Iran so that's not great but I guess two of those four are his good friends.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."