News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Conway is a big shot partner in a NY law firm; very impressive resume including winning the most significant securities case to hit the Supreme Court in the past decade.
And yes he is also married to the Pale Horse of the Liepocolypse.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 17, 2019, 06:50:32 PM
Is there risk, sure.  But greater rewards.  I would hate to live in an all white uni-lingual, uni-cultural society.

Even when I was a kid I thought it must be boring to live in a place where everyone looked the same, sounded the same, and had the same names.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 17, 2019, 11:28:45 AM
he basically won the party in the states of the Old Confederacy, and while those states have a lot of negative cultural stuff, economically the whole region has been doing great for decades now. Florida, the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee have been growing and they've grown across most sectors. New manufacturing, IT, finance etc. These states and their people are doing tremendously better right now than they ever have before. States like Georgia and Tennessee are seen as pretty good places now, 30 years ago large swathes of both states were seen as being essentially third world countries. But for some reason among Republican voters, this is where Trump's destructive ideology gained broad and decisive acceptance.

Those states, particularly Georgia are getting more diverse and minorities are gaining more economic and political power. Frankly there are a lot of people who would rather do worse if their perceived enemies are hurt more, than for everyone to become more prosperous.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 17, 2019, 09:25:39 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 17, 2019, 09:14:31 PM
We Are Republicans, and We Want Trump Defeated

George T. Conway III, Steve Schmidt, John Weaver and Rick Wilson

Who are these guys?

Wilson has been all over cable news, writing tons of op-eds for different magizines, etc since Trump has been elected. How could you miss him.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2019, 09:20:32 PM
I think there were Never Trumpers saying this since 2015. I mean it never hurts to say it again I guess.
Yes, there have been.But these guys are committing money toward seeing him defeated by Democrats. That's different.
I really worry that the Democracts are making the mistake of the UK Labour party and choosing this vital moment to rush left and let our country be gravely injured. There are these kind of voters out there who would love to help us boot Trump out but might hesitate with all 10,000 unicorns for every fairy princess stuff.
I've been saying this for the past two years.  Can't really disagree.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2019, 03:26:59 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 17, 2019, 03:24:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2019, 03:18:02 PM

The US fear of "losing relative power" is because the US has a long history of having disadvantaged groups (and treating them badly), and a lot of the immigrants that are coming aren't integrating that well into "white" society and culture.

This is the point I was getting at: that the two nations are, in fact, culturally different in some fundamental ways.

Here's the problem I have with that.  You make it sound like Canada's culture is better, more virtuous.  I think we're just geographically lucky.

I didn't make any claim based on virtue.  :huh:

Though I will say this: geography can create incentives for vice.

To give an example chattel slavery never took off in Canada. There was slavery early in the colonial period, but it was relatively easily displaced. The reasons are no doubt in part due to geography - chattel slavery was mostly an entrenched thing in the US south because of its use in growing certain cash crops. Having slavery as a major aspect of one's past creates an obvious cultural difference.

Is not having chattel slavery more virtuous? An argument can be made that virtue has nothing to do with it, that it is all economics. Though I think that such reductionism may be too simple.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2019, 03:34:36 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 17, 2019, 03:24:05 PM
This is the point I was getting at: that the two nations are, in fact, culturally different in some fundamental ways.

I don't know man. Your treatment of the natives and...those...other people in your country you love so much hardly does you much credit. I mean until more recent times of course.

Cultural difference isn't a matter of credit or blame.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on December 18, 2019, 08:49:45 AM

And I was disputing the cultures are really that different and bringing forth those examples to be submitted as evidence in the record.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on December 18, 2019, 08:52:10 AM
Quote from: Malthus on December 18, 2019, 08:49:45 AM

And I was disputing the cultures are really that different and bringing forth those examples to be submitted as evidence in the record.

Both nations treated natives (and others) shabbily it is true.

The claim that the two nations have important cultural differences isn't based on an assertion that Canada never treated any of these groups shabbily.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on December 18, 2019, 08:48:28 AM
To give an example chattel slavery never took off in Canada. There was slavery early in the colonial period, but it was relatively easily displaced. The reasons are no doubt in part due to geography - chattel slavery was mostly an entrenched thing in the US south because of its use in growing certain cash crops. Having slavery as a major aspect of one's past creates an obvious cultural difference.

Is not having chattel slavery more virtuous? An argument can be made that virtue has nothing to do with it, that it is all economics. Though I think that such reductionism may be too simple.

Your example rather overwhelmingly undermines your point here. I am not sure you could have chosen a better example to demonstrate that it IS about virtue. Our culture has been stained by the evils of slavery.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on December 18, 2019, 08:56:41 AM
Both nations treated natives (and others) shabbily it is true.

The claim that the two nations have important cultural differences isn't based on an assertion that Canada never treated any of these groups shabbily.

Except the whole basis was going over how differently the non-white non-majority cultured people were treated as a cause or effect of those differences. I don't think they were that different.