News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on December 17, 2019, 03:24:05 PM
This is the point I was getting at: that the two nations are, in fact, culturally different in some fundamental ways.

I don't know man. Your treatment of the natives and...those...other people in your country you love so much hardly does you much credit. I mean until more recent times of course.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on December 17, 2019, 02:48:36 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 17, 2019, 11:49:17 AM
IMO, it's a race thing.  White people have been running the country since its founding, and it was up to them to decide how much others would be tolerated.  Now it's more and more conceivable that others may have a real say in how the country is run, and that's perceived as a threat.  Seeing a reminder for eight years that white people no longer have a monopoly on power in the US certainly didn't help.

This seems to matter more in the US than in Canada though. Canada has a very high level of immigration as well, without as yet the same sort of backlash.
Not yet.  It can turn on a dime.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on December 17, 2019, 03:39:51 PM

They seem to be putting them mostly into large urban areas which is handy for preventing much of a backlash.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2019, 03:42:58 PM

They seem to be putting them mostly into large urban areas which is handy for preventing much of a backlash.

:secret:  One of our tips about preventing a backlash is that we don't put people anywhere - they can move where they like.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2019, 03:56:01 PM

:secret:  One of our tips about preventing a backlash is that we don't put people anywhere - they can move where they like.

I didn't mean literally. I just meant that seems to be where they were living :P

I wasn't suggesting Canada was imitating the noble ways of Andrew Jackson.

OttoVonBismarck

I think any rational person would say Canada has a different culture than the United States, and Canada's "national culture" is not generating the sort of "panic" that I think we're seeing about a "culture under siege" in the United States. I wouldn't go another step and say Canada has some mystical inoculation against dangerous anti-immigrant sentiments and an abandonment of democratic ideals--no. We've seen this happen in too many countries we assumed weren't "like this", and seeing it happen in my own country just reinforces my belief that it can essentially happen anywhere.

The cultural climate can always change, and with it the political climate.

The Brain

I don't think a charismatic leader can appear in Canada.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on December 17, 2019, 03:24:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2019, 03:18:02 PM

The US fear of "losing relative power" is because the US has a long history of having disadvantaged groups (and treating them badly), and a lot of the immigrants that are coming aren't integrating that well into "white" society and culture.

This is the point I was getting at: that the two nations are, in fact, culturally different in some fundamental ways.

One of those nations doesn't seem to have much use for immigration.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

The older I get, the less I believe in the wisdom of multiculturalism.  My greatest fear is that any country can turn like an Ottoman empire, where centuries of tolerance of diversity were no insurance against ethnic cleansing.

crazy canuck

Is there risk, sure.  But greater rewards.  I would hate to live in an all white uni-lingual, uni-cultural society.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on December 17, 2019, 06:26:33 PM
The older I get, the less I believe in the wisdom of multiculturalism.  My greatest fear is that any country can turn like an Ottoman empire, where centuries of tolerance of diversity were no insurance against ethnic cleansing.

Not everywhere is like Eastern Europe or the Middle East.

I am not a big fan of distinct communities like they had in the Ottoman Empire though to be sure. Mixing everybody together is fine though...though if you do that after a few generations you no longer really have a multicultural society unless you keep adding more people.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2019, 03:56:01 PM

well, immigrants&refugees need resources, resources that aren't readily available in non urban centres.  Not enough numbers to justify the costs, apparently... ;) 

The Quebec govt asked for Syrian refugees to be settled in non urban areas.  Many communities rallied themselves to find food, accomodations, French teachers, etc... Then Justin the Wise decreed the refugees would go only in urban centres.  For Quebec, that means the greater Montreal area.  Then people in the countryside or even in Quebec city get criticized for being "too white".  Go figure. 

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

We Are Republicans, and We Want Trump Defeated

QuoteThe president and his enablers have replaced conservatism with an empty faith led by a bogus prophet.

Patriotism and the survival of our nation in the face of the crimes, corruption and corrosive nature of Donald Trump are a higher calling than mere politics. As Americans, we must stem the damage he and his followers are doing to the rule of law, the Constitution and the American character.

That's why we are announcing the Lincoln Project, an effort to highlight our country's story and values, and its people's sacrifices and obligations. This effort transcends partisanship and is dedicated to nothing less than preservation of the principles that so many have fought for, on battlefields far from home and within their own communities.

This effort asks all Americans of all places, creeds and ways of life to join in the seminal task of our generation: restoring to this nation leadership and governance that respects the rule of law, recognizes the dignity of all people and defends the Constitution and American values at home and abroad.

Over these next 11 months, our efforts will be dedicated to defeating President Trump and Trumpism at the ballot box and to elect those patriots who will hold the line. We do not undertake this task lightly, nor from ideological preference. We have been, and remain, broadly conservative (or classically liberal) in our politics and outlooks. Our many policy differences with national Democrats remain, but our shared fidelity to the Constitution dictates a common effort.
[...]

Too little, too late?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

An op-ed would have been too little at any point, so its timeliness is irrelevant.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

I think there were Never Trumpers saying this since 2015. I mean it never hurts to say it again I guess.

I really worry that the Democracts are making the mistake of the UK Labour party and choosing this vital moment to rush left and let our country be gravely injured. There are these kind of voters out there who would love to help us boot Trump out but might hesitate with all 10,000 unicorns for every fairy princess stuff.