News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Yeah. That was a very un-gentlemanly thing to say.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 20, 2018, 01:58:16 PM
I agree.  It would be remarkable if a majority of the court decided "you know what, we know it is our constitutional obligation to rule on this matter, but it is too hot to handle.  Back to you legislative branch. "

They do that sometimes.  "Political question" doctrine.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 20, 2018, 01:03:33 PM
Quote from: bogh on September 20, 2018, 12:26:31 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 20, 2018, 11:53:46 AM
People do shit for a cause all the time. Just because you wouldn't is no reason to dismiss the possibility somebody else would.

Sure. I am not dismissing the possibility that she is acting very irrationally and is enough of a fanatic to believe throwing her life away is warranted in the name of the cause.

I just don't consider it all that likely given what I know - which is why I am inclined to believe her more than consider it fabricated (unlike Yi, who has the opposite position).

According to Wikipedia she donated a grand total of 80 dollars to democratic causes and participated in two marches in 2017 (march for science and the women's march). Doesn't really read as a die hard fanatic eager to martyr herself IMO, but anything is possible I suppose.

I think the characterization of her "martyring" herself is overwrought. She'll go through a few weeks of intense media scrutiny, then a lifetime of lionization on the left(aka, everyone she meets in the Bay Area). Anita Hill has certainly done well professionally.

I don't mean to sound too cynical. There is a good chance she's telling the truth, after all. But this is probably the highest staked SC nomination in my lif7etime, there's no telling how far people will be willing to go.

One of Roy Moore's accuser had her house burned down

https://www.google.co.kr/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna835106
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 20, 2018, 04:59:47 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 20, 2018, 01:58:16 PM
I agree.  It would be remarkable if a majority of the court decided "you know what, we know it is our constitutional obligation to rule on this matter, but it is too hot to handle.  Back to you legislative branch. "

They do that sometimes.  "Political question" doctrine.

That is not quite BBs point.  I am not sure how the Court dodges clear constitutional questions on the basis it is best left for the politicians to make the judgment call.  The political questions doctrine is really a question of jurisdiction.  In any event, it would remarkable.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

This school sounds pretty sketchy

https://twitter.com/casey_connects/status/1042805631579836416

I have known men of great character from Georgetown Prep. My son is named after one, another is my daughter's Godfather. I would trust those men with my life. 1/

A man either has character or he doesn't. When one has character, power and wealth cannot diminish that. When one lacks character, power and wealth amplify the damage he leaves in his wake. 2/

I was sexually assaulted in the mid-80's at the home of one of Kavanaugh's schoolmates. The host of that party added his name to this letter to the Judiciary Committee attesting to Kavanaugh's character. 3/

This week has been a difficult one for women like me who are forced to relive the spectre of being assaulted by one young man as another watches the door. The pain is compounded by the crucification of Kavanaugh's accuser in the media, the twittersphere and the U.S. Senate. 4/

Decades ago, when we were sexually assaulted, we didn't report it. "Date rape" was barely entering the lexicon. We thought rape and assault were things that happened in parking garages or dark alleys. We didn't know how to quantify these actions by men in our own peer groups. 5/

When we were assaulted, we blamed ourselves for drinking excessively or being in the wrong place or trusting the wrong person. We were humiliated and we saw no examples of recourse. We know better now. We want our sons and daughters to know better. 6/

Here's the deal about character: if you are not rapey, you don't sexually assault women. If you are, you might. Can you grow out of being rapey? I hope so. I'd like to believe in redemption. But I do think a rapey past should disqualify you from a seat on the Supreme Court. 7/

I have seen the signatures of my schoolmates saying Kavanaugh never treated them with disrespect. Perhaps they don't realize that some men in their social circles did not treat the women on the periphery of those circles with the same reverence as the ones in the center. /8

I see myself in Dr. Blasey because of our shared experiences. I don't know if Kavanaugh disrespected women in his youth. I do know that his documented values suggest he does not respect their agency now. I am clearly biased. 9/

I am biased. The Senate Judiciary Committee is also biased. That is why Blasey and Kavanaugh should be afforded a thorough, nonpartisan investigation, not a rushed political side-show. 10/

To our elected representatives:
- rape is non-partisan
- sexual assault survivors are watching you
- our children are watching you.
Are you sure that rape is the hill you want to die on? 11/

To the man who assaulted me in the basement of that house decades ago:
I learned this week that there is no statute of limitations for felony sexual assault in Montgomery County, MD.

I sincerely hope your nights will be as sleepless as mine as I consider my next steps. /end
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

FunkMonk

Some dude did some gumshoe-level internet sleuthing via Google and identified the actual alleged attacker as some other kid whose family owned the house he identified and named him on Twitter and now Kav's defenders are supposedly going with the "Actually, it was someone else" defense and now everything is even shittier than before  :lol: :cry:

What a fucking shit show.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2018, 01:49:04 PM
Yeah I agree all that started with Brown...or at least that Brown was a watershed moment. The States abusing their authority to disenfranchising and oppressing citizens eventually led to the Supreme Court having to intervene and established that role for the Court. And any claim that the USSC should just leave it to the States and the Legislature always have to somehow explain away that instance and why that precedent does not apply elsewhere.

Dredd Scott even more so, though.
It's been going on ever since there's been a Supreme Court.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Eddie Teach

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 20, 2018, 09:05:38 PM
Some dude did some gumshoe-level internet sleuthing via Google and identified the actual alleged attacker as some other kid whose family owned the house he identified and named him on Twitter and now Kav's defenders are supposedly going with the "Actually, it was someone else" defense and now everything is even shittier than before  :lol: :cry:

Cause assaults never happen at somebody else's house?  :huh:

FunkMonk

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 20, 2018, 09:51:15 PM

Cause assaults never happen at somebody else's house?  :huh:

I am told by reliable sources that, in fact, many houses look similar. Some even have 2 floors! And multiple bathrooms :o
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

Gross

Quote from: Sahil KapurInteresting demographic breakdown in this NBC/WSJ poll.

Kavanaugh's net support among GOP men has gone UP points since his accuser went public.

Among Dem women it's gone DOWN 14 points.

It's also fallen among independent men and women.

Notable: Kavanaugh's net support has gone up 5 points among GOP men and up 3 points among Democratic men (!!!) since Christine Blasey Ford went public.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Lol
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1042965763613777921
QuoteGood lord! This is too perfect. The guy they slimed as the real culprit is one of the alums who signed a letter to the senate attesting to Kavanaugh's character!

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Least he could do after Kavanaugh took the rap for him.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 20, 2018, 11:39:48 PM
Least he could do after Kavanaugh took the rap for him.

Well, he's a middle school teacher, so somehow I don't think he's going to roll with it and take the blame.

1 Karma Chameleon point