News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 20, 2018, 10:37:43 AM

You asked me what a potential reason could be for her making it up.  We know from her social media (a lot of it now sanitized) that she's pretty firmly on the Democrat side-- an activist, even.

You sure it wasn't some of the fake stuff on social media?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

bogh

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 20, 2018, 11:08:42 AM
Why does it have to be personal?

Because I don't believe in the "dems" hive mind theory, any more than I believe in the "GOP" hive mind theory.

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on September 20, 2018, 10:39:26 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2018, 10:33:52 AM
Quote from: frunk on September 20, 2018, 10:23:29 AM
Quote from: PDH on September 20, 2018, 10:19:56 AM
Delay is the word of either opposing party now.  We no longer have a government that really functions.

There's a reason Trump got to appoint a record number of judges, and it wasn't because Obama wasn't nominating them.

Exactly. The Republicans were assholes and fucked with the Democrats and behold the rich bounty of rewards they have received. If they had acted in good faith they would have been in far worse of a position. Hence the dysfunctional system.

Democrats arguably started it with Bork.

:huh:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 20, 2018, 11:01:16 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 20, 2018, 10:55:22 AM
Kavanaugh obviously has more at stake.  Don't see that as being particularly relevant, though.

That is  one of the factors a trier of fact will often consider - who has the most to gain by lying?  Or perhaps put differently, what motivation is there to be dishonest.  It is the main reason the evidence of non parties is often preferred over those whose interests are at stake.   You have implicitly been weighing that factor when you question her motivation for making the allegation.

You have to be careful though with "motive to lie".  Every person charged with an offence has a motive to lie - but to put too much weight on that factor would discount for the possibility that a person charged is actually innocent. As well, people do weird stuff all the time without any particular motive.  There was never a particularly satisfying motive given for why the woman behind the University of Virginia / Rolling Stone rape hoax fabricated her story.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2018, 11:19:52 AM

He addressed that already right? The political martyr angle?

People do shit for a cause all the time. Just because you wouldn't is no reason to dismiss the possibility somebody else would.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: bogh on September 20, 2018, 11:48:05 AM

Because I don't believe in the "dems" hive mind theory, any more than I believe in the "GOP" hive mind theory.

:huh:

People thinking for themselves hardly keeps them from acting in what they believe to be for the greater good.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2018, 11:52:09 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 20, 2018, 11:01:16 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 20, 2018, 10:55:22 AM
Kavanaugh obviously has more at stake.  Don't see that as being particularly relevant, though.

That is  one of the factors a trier of fact will often consider - who has the most to gain by lying?  Or perhaps put differently, what motivation is there to be dishonest.  It is the main reason the evidence of non parties is often preferred over those whose interests are at stake.   You have implicitly been weighing that factor when you question her motivation for making the allegation.

You have to be careful though with "motive to lie".  Every person charged with an offence has a motive to lie - but to put too much weight on that factor would discount for the possibility that a person charged is actually innocent. As well, people do weird stuff all the time without any particular motive.  There was never a particularly satisfying motive given for why the woman behind the University of Virginia / Rolling Stone rape hoax fabricated her story.

I agree.  That is why I said it was a factor that is considered.  There is always the possibility that there are other factors to consider.

bogh

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 20, 2018, 11:53:46 AM
People do shit for a cause all the time. Just because you wouldn't is no reason to dismiss the possibility somebody else would.

Sure. I am not dismissing the possibility that she is acting very irrationally and is enough of a fanatic to believe throwing her life away is warranted in the name of the cause.

I just don't consider it all that likely given what I know - which is why I am inclined to believe her more than consider it fabricated (unlike Yi, who has the opposite position).

According to Wikipedia she donated a grand total of 80 dollars to democratic causes and participated in two marches in 2017 (march for science and the women's march). Doesn't really read as a die hard fanatic eager to martyr herself IMO, but anything is possible I suppose.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2018, 11:43:13 AM

You asked me what a potential reason could be for her making it up.  We know from her social media (a lot of it now sanitized) that she's pretty firmly on the Democrat side-- an activist, even.

Dunno.  What was the fake stuff?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Well I guess my question would be how you can claim to know something based on social media. It is a very easily manipulable and unreliable thing. But now we are supposed to draw firm conclusions based on it? As for what stuff was fake, I would say the majority of everything on every social media platform is not true.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

The Larch

So apparently Kavanaugh only hired hotties from Yale to clerk for him.

Quote'No accident' Brett Kavanaugh's female law clerks 'looked like models', Yale professor told students

Guardian learns Amy Chua said she would advise students on their physical looks to help win post in Kavanaugh's chambers

A top professor at Yale Law School who strongly endorsed supreme court nominee Brett Kavanaugh as a "mentor to women" privately told a group of law students last year that it was "not an accident" that Kavanaugh's female law clerks all "looked like models" and would provide advice to students about their physical appearance if they wanted to work for him, the Guardian has learned.

Amy Chua, a Yale professor who wrote a bestselling book on parenting called Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, was known for instructing female law students who were preparing for interviews with Kavanaugh on ways they could dress to exude a "model-like" femininity to help them win a post in Kavanaugh's chambers, according to sources.
(...)
Yale provided Kavanaugh with many of the judge's clerks over the years, and Chua played an outsized role in vetting the clerks who worked for him. But the process made some students deeply uncomfortable.

One source said that in at least one case, a law student was so put off by Chua's advice about how she needed to look, and its implications, that she decided not to pursue a clerkship with Kavanaugh, a powerful member of the judiciary who had a formal role in vetting clerks who served in the US supreme court.

In one case, Jed Rubenfeld, also an influential professor at Yale and who is married to Chua, told a prospective clerk that Kavanaugh liked a certain "look".

"He told me, 'You should know that Judge Kavanaugh hires women with a certain look,'" one woman told the Guardian. "He did not say what the look was and I did not ask."

Chua advised the same student Rubenfeld spoke to that she ought to dress in an "outgoing" way for her interview with Kavanaugh, and that the student should send Chua pictures of herself in different outfits before going to interview. The student did not send the photos.

There is no allegation that the female students who worked for Kavanaugh were chosen because of their physical appearance or that they were not qualified.

However, the remarks from Chua and Rubenfeld raise questions about why the couple believed it was important to emphasize the students' physical appearance when discussing jobs with Kavanaugh. The couple were not known to do that in connection with other judges, sources said.

The full article goes into more details:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/20/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-yale-amy-chua

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 20, 2018, 12:27:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2018, 11:43:13 AM

Dunno.  What was the fake stuff?

Pictures of her being an activist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: bogh on September 20, 2018, 12:26:31 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 20, 2018, 11:53:46 AM

Sure. I am not dismissing the possibility that she is acting very irrationally and is enough of a fanatic to believe throwing her life away is warranted in the name of the cause.

I just don't consider it all that likely given what I know - which is why I am inclined to believe her more than consider it fabricated (unlike Yi, who has the opposite position).

According to Wikipedia she donated a grand total of 80 dollars to democratic causes and participated in two marches in 2017 (march for science and the women's march). Doesn't really read as a die hard fanatic eager to martyr herself IMO, but anything is possible I suppose.

I think the characterization of her "martyring" herself is overwrought. She'll go through a few weeks of intense media scrutiny, then a lifetime of lionization on the left(aka, everyone she meets in the Bay Area). Anita Hill has certainly done well professionally.

I don't mean to sound too cynical. There is a good chance she's telling the truth, after all. But this is probably the highest staked SC nomination in my lifetime, there's no telling how far people will be willing to go.