Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2018, 02:35:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2018, 02:26:28 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2018, 12:53:16 PM
I think there has to be some kind of hearing.  Prof Ford should testify, under oath, and face cross-examination.  As should Kavanaugh and Judge.  And I expect that after that hearing the Senate should not accept Kavanaugh's nomination.

The problem is you are treating a Senate hearing like a quasi judicial hearing. But that is not how it works.  There is no prosecution proving the case.  There is no effective cross examinations.  There is no defense lawyer trying their best to poke holes in the case.  There are a bunch of Senators playing to the camera while using their alloted time.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for her to want a law enforcement agency to conduct an investigation of what is a criminal allegation.

Well for starters the FBI doesn't investigate those kinds of offences. 

Just to clarify for non-US posters, the FBI investigates Federal crimes.  Rape is a state crime, not a Federal matter.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on September 19, 2018, 03:47:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2018, 02:35:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2018, 02:26:28 PM
I think there has to be some kind of hearing.  Prof Ford should testify, under oath, and face cross-examination.  As should Kavanaugh and Judge.  And I expect that after that hearing the Senate should not accept Kavanaugh's nomination.

The problem is you are treating a Senate hearing like a quasi judicial hearing. But that is not how it works.  There is no prosecution proving the case.  There is no effective cross examinations.  There is no defense lawyer trying their best to poke holes in the case.  There are a bunch of Senators playing to the camera while using their alloted time.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for her to want a law enforcement agency to conduct an investigation of what is a criminal allegation.

Well for starters the FBI doesn't investigate those kinds of offences. 

Just to clarify for non-US posters, the FBI investigates Federal crimes.  Rape is a state crime, not a Federal matter.

Yeah, its why I said law enforcement - rather than the FBI.   But iirc the FBI are responsible for the background checks and so the question becomes are allegations of criminal conduct part of such a background check?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2018, 04:55:35 PM
Yeah, its why I said law enforcement - rather than the FBI.   But iirc the FBI are responsible for the background checks and so the question becomes are allegations of criminal conduct part of such a background check?

The "background check" is apparently a national security clearance check.  The FBI did one of those.  They were informed about this allegation, but all they did (and all they really could do) was to attach it to their report.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2018, 05:04:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2018, 04:55:35 PM

The "background check" is apparently a national security clearance check.  The FBI did one of those.  They were informed about this allegation, but all they did (and all they really could do) was to attach it to their report.

Then I agree.  I am not sure what they could do with it.

Razgovory

The woman should never have come forward.  It won't accomplish anything and she's not afraid for her life. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

I think that was in response to Raz's typo.

Camerus

How difficult could it be to find another conservative partisan candidate with a decent CV? Fairly or not, dude's probably a greater political liability than it's worth now.

Admiral Yi

I'm slightly inclined to think she fabricated.

FunkMonk

Kav should withdraw but I suspect he doesn't want to because he wants to clear his name.

Withdrawing saves the GOP a huge hassle when they can just pull another one off the bench quick time, and the Dems can chalk up a W. Everyone wins. Well, except the 2 people involved. Their lives and reputations are ruined.

FWIW, I believe the allegations.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2018, 01:10:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 19, 2018, 01:00:59 PM
Quote from: PDH on September 19, 2018, 12:57:12 PM
I think I can understand about why someone would not want to testify in a highly charged political atmosphere, one in which there have been three ringed circuses (and Long Dong references) in the past.

True, but then she also has chosen to enter the political fray.

Well, kind of.

She wrote to the Democrats a letter with her allegation, and requested anonymity.  The Dems (and Feinstein specifically) gave her that anonymity, but realized (correctly) there wasn't much they could do with an anonymous complaint.

But the story leaked.  Reporters started calling her trying to speak with her.  So she chose to go public so that she could control the story.

Was this really leaked, or was it, uh, "leaked"?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DGuller

Yeah, the prudent thing for GOP to do is to call up the next one on the list.  These Federalist Society drones are all interchangeable anyway.

dps

If I was in his place, I know that I wouldn't withdraw.  Of course, if I was in his place, I'd know I was innocent.  I have no idea if Kavanaugh is or not.

jimmy olsen

And I'm not clear how much help an FBI investigation would help.  These are 35 year old allegations.  The reporting done on this story seems to me like it's turned up every last bit of evidence that can be turned up.

Seems like an investigation could interview people who went to school with her, and with him. IIRC, there was a three day investigation into Anita Hill that interviewed a lot of people. This being a more serious accusation, they could at least go that far.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/accuser-s-schoolmate-says-she-recalls-hearing-alleged-kavanaugh-incident-n911111
QuoteAccuser's schoolmate says she recalls hearing of alleged Kavanaugh incident

Cristina King Miranda says she recalls it being discussed at their school,
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point