News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

They really need to sort this military deal thing out with Trump because when the Russian troops start rolling in to take over "guarding" the American bases in Syria and Iraq, the US troops on the ground better know what's going on.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Syt, are your crazy right-wing relatives still trying to defend this guy?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on July 18, 2018, 08:40:28 AM

I am sure. They are in way too deep. That group of people have been for at least since the election victory.

Why would they concede they were utter morons for the past 2+ years? No way. They'd rather see the world burn.

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on July 18, 2018, 08:40:28 AM

No, just something about San Fran allowing undocumented/illegal immigrants to vote for school board?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

So it looks like the NRA is basically in Putin's pay, and has been for a while? Am I understanding that correctly?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on July 18, 2018, 11:34:48 AM
So it looks like the NRA is basically in Putin's pay, and has been for a while? Am I understanding that correctly?

Maybe . . . I'm not totally sold on the Butina indictment.  Will wait and see what evidence is presented.

The indictment portrays her as an agent under the direction and control of a prominent Russian politician, who she had interned for. That may be but unlike with Manafort the specifics in the indictment itself are thin.

I have some concern with aggressive use of foreign agent registration laws. Other regimes - including Russia - abuse such laws to intimidate NGOs that have support and backing from non-citizen members.  Of course, registration should be enforced when someone is really acting as an agent of a foreign state.  But it is perfectly OK for a private foreigner to participate in and give enthusiastic support for US NGOs.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 18, 2018, 12:13:58 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 18, 2018, 11:34:48 AM

Maybe . . . I'm not totally sold on the Butina indictment.  Will wait and see what evidence is presented.

The indictment portrays her as an agent under the direction and control of a prominent Russian politician, who she had interned for. That may be but unlike with Manafort the specifics in the indictment itself are thin.

I have some concern with aggressive use of foreign agent registration laws. Other regimes - including Russia - abuse such laws to intimidate NGOs that have support and backing from non-citizen members.  Of course, registration should be enforced when someone is really acting as an agent of a foreign state.  But it is perfectly OK for a private foreigner to participate in and give enthusiastic support for US NGOs.

Yeah, it seems there may be an innocent explanation that she wished to set up a similar organization in Russia.

@Jacob, this indictment is unrelated to the work Mueller is doing.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 17, 2018, 03:19:25 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 17, 2018, 01:52:00 PM
Donald just reversed everything and said he was misinterpreted,

See, I figured all you guys (plus everyone else) misunderstood him.  Shame on you!

:lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Maladict on July 18, 2018, 02:42:39 AM
I guess that's why he didn't want to have an American translator present.

Can he really make deals with a foreign power without any kind of oversight?

He can't agree to a binding treaty without Senate approval.  But there is a lot he can do short of that - he is Commander in Chief of all armed forces.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

From CNN:

QuoteWhite House denies President Trump doesn't think Russia is targeting US
From CNN's Kevin Liptak

The White House denied on Wednesday that President Trump doesn't believe Russia is targeting the United States.

Press secretary Sarah Sanders, who said she spoke with Trump about his answer earlier during a Cabinet meeting, said the President was declining to answer shouted questions when he said "no" to a question about Russia's current efforts.

"The President said thank you very much and said no to answering questions," Sanders said."The President and his administration are working very hard to make sure Russia is unable to meddling in our elections," she said, indicating Trump does believe Russia poses a current threat.

"We certainly believe that we are taking steps to make sure they can't do it again," Sanders said.

This was the exchange:

Reporter: "Is Russia still targeting the US, Mr. President?"

President Trump: "Thank you very much, no."

Vega: "No, you don't believe that to be the case?"

Trump: "Thank you very much everybody. We're doing very well, probably as well as anybody has ever done with Russia. There's been no President ever as tough as I have been on Russia.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

QuoteThere's been no President ever as tough as I have been on Russia.

:lol: this guy is his own parody. The Onion will soon go out of business.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on July 18, 2018, 01:56:38 PM
From CNN:

From CNN's Kevin Liptak

The White House denied on Wednesday that President Trump doesn't believe Russia is targeting the United States.

Press secretary Sarah Sanders, who said she spoke with Trump about his answer earlier during a Cabinet meeting, said the President was declining to answer shouted questions when he said "no" to a question about Russia's current efforts.

"The President said thank you very much and said no to answering questions," Sanders said."The President and his administration are working very hard to make sure Russia is unable to meddling in our elections," she said, indicating Trump does believe Russia poses a current threat.

"We certainly believe that we are taking steps to make sure they can't do it again," Sanders said.

This was the exchange:

Trump: "Thank you very much everybody. We're doing very well, probably as well as anybody has ever done with Russia. There's been no President ever as tough as I have been on Russia.

You know, that actually sounds like a plausible explanation (unlike yesterday's "I meant to say wouldn't" whopper).

It's a pity that Trump has given us every reason to disbelieve anything that comes out of his mouth though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 18, 2018, 02:23:46 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 18, 2018, 01:56:38 PM
From CNN:

From CNN's Kevin Liptak

This was the exchange:

You know, that actually sounds like a plausible explanation (unlike yesterday's "I meant to say wouldn't" whopper).

It's a pity that Trump has given us every reason to disbelieve anything that comes out of his mouth though.

If you read the full transcript, that is not plausible at all.