News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

But mostly you're talking about apathetic voters with mainstream views.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on June 24, 2018, 05:38:00 PM
Fucking independents not doing as they're told.

I haven't told them to do anything. I just hoped events would have convinced them to see my way of things a bit, but perhaps not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Hopefully the fickle independents swing the other way in a few months.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2018, 09:39:36 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 24, 2018, 05:38:00 PM
Fucking independents not doing as they're told.

I haven't told them to do anything. I just hoped events would have convinced them to see my way of things a bit, but perhaps not.

I think there may have been a joke in Brain's post  ;)

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

I am zero interest in whatever nonsense you are trying to waste my time with here dude.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2018, 10:55:35 AM
I am zero interest in whatever nonsense you are trying to waste my time with here dude.

Yeah, it is a bit of a waste.  Will take note and act accordingly.

crazy canuck

Interesting piece on the re-balancing of American interests post Cold War.  The thesis is that Trump is not a cause but a symptom and former allies of the US need to reconsider their relationship with the US as a result - so its back to the 19th century we go?

http://vancouversun.com/news/economy/trump-vs-world-americans-strategy-of-disengagement/wcm/e9ded4dc-05c2-45dd-898b-d724bf2ad257?video_autoplay=true

Grey Fox

The Republican white house is obviously creating an america immigrants will not want to come to. It has been its aimed for almost 40 years now.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 25, 2018, 11:45:18 AM
The Republican white house is obviously creating an america immigrants will not want to come to. It has been its aimed for almost 40 years now.

I wonder what the long term effects of that kind of policy will be and especially for Canada - if we can attract the immigrants who would otherwise go to the US, I would be pretty happy with that  :)

Eddie Teach

You're still less attractive than Australia.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 25, 2018, 12:15:05 PM
You're still less attractive than Australia.

:outback:

... I don't think CC is concerned about being the number one most best immigration destination, but rather about improving the quality of talent we attract compared to where we are now.

Certainly, at my work we've recently hired a few highly skilled people who were immigrants to the US, but decided to leave there for Canada. I haven't explicitly asked them if politics where the reason they left, but from conversations it certainly seems it contributed - "it seemed a good time to leave."

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2018, 11:34:46 AM
Interesting piece on the re-balancing of American interests post Cold War.  The thesis is that Trump is not a cause but a symptom and former allies of the US need to reconsider their relationship with the US as a result - so its back to the 19th century we go?

It is pretty much what the Nationalists want. But it will never work in today's world.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on June 25, 2018, 12:24:52 PM
Certainly, at my work we've recently hired a few highly skilled people who were immigrants to the US, but decided to leave there for Canada. I haven't explicitly asked them if politics where the reason they left, but from conversations it certainly seems it contributed - "it seemed a good time to leave."

Probably was. The business interests in this country endlessly struggle trying to get the highly qualified talent they need and the Feds have always made it really hard on them. Those people probably saw a future of deportation was even more likely moving forward.