And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on February 07, 2018, 02:58:31 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on February 07, 2018, 02:57:02 PM
No reaction to the announced future military parade ?

Apparently not, since even you are asking a question rather than reacting to the announcement.

Isn't his question a reaction?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2018, 03:50:39 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 07, 2018, 02:58:31 PM

Apparently not, since even you are asking a question rather than reacting to the announcement.

Isn't his question a reaction?

No.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Well, he probably would not have asked it if there wasn't an announcement.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 07, 2018, 04:28:52 PM
Well, he probably would not have asked it if there wasn't an announcement.

Exactly. Also as we know Oex, it is clear he is expressing that he's horrified about it and potentially sounding out how we may have become desensitized now to Trump's reckless actions.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

What's wrong with military parades?  They may not be the most efficient use of public resources, but it is normal for countries to have these parades.  Of all the horrible things that Trump has said and done, this one doesn't and shouldn't feature in the radar. 

Liep

Quote from: Monoriu on February 07, 2018, 04:44:44 PM

What's wrong with military parades?  They may not be the most efficient use of public resources, but it is normal for countries to have these parades.  Of all the horrible things that Trump has said and done, this one doesn't and shouldn't feature in the radar. 

Normal for countries that suck.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Monoriu

Quote from: Liep on February 07, 2018, 04:53:38 PM

So France sucks -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-6aoTHyAHA

And so does Japan -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVpkTQ_g30I

The UK does it too -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw5NTZdGdAs

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2018, 04:57:14 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 07, 2018, 04:53:38 PM

Harsh toke on France.  :(

France does a lot of things right, but they still suck.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Minsky Moment

There's nothing really wrong with it.  The US has had them in the past, and it's common to have smaller scale ones on a local level for memorial day or the 4th of July.  In NYC one yearly highlight is fleet week, where a flotilla of ships sails up the harbor, and the sailors and officers get some liberty.  The US doesn't tend have big national parades on land because they are very expensive if you are going to have heavy vehicles.  Also during the Cold War it became associated with Soviet May Day parades, or in a more contemporary sense with the NK ones. 

The legit concern on this one aside from waste and expense, is that the motivation seems to be a child-like urge from Trump, as opposed to a genuine desire to celebrate our people in uniform. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 07, 2018, 05:11:11 PM
The legit concern on this one aside from waste and expense, is that the motivation seems to be a child-like urge from Trump, as opposed to a genuine desire to celebrate our people in uniform. 

Yep

Grey Fox

Your president is a toddler, he has toddler ideas. Like the wall, this is just one more.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Better give him the parade. His button is bigger than his hands.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I think it's a little more than a simple desire to play with toy soldiers.  He sees the Nunes gambit failing, Mueller closing in, GOP support slipping, and he wants to divert the masses with Circus and wrap himself in the flag.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2018, 05:34:12 PM
I think it's a little more than a simple desire to play with toy soldiers.  He sees the Nunes gambit failing, Mueller closing in, GOP support slipping, and he wants to divert the masses with Circus and wrap himself in the flag.

+1

It's a diversion.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!