Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on February 02, 2018, 06:15:38 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 02, 2018, 11:24:56 AM
Quote from: derspiess on February 01, 2018, 06:15:29 PM

And yes, Bernie & Co. are anti-NAFTA, but it doesn't seem to be a high priority.  The most vocal anti-Naftites by far are on the Populist Right.

Because they won their election. Bernie and Co. came very very close. And it is a very high priority. That is why I am very worried that they ever seize control of the agenda.

Both parties are going to have anti free trade majorities, I'm afraid.

Yeah.  Shit is going to be bad for a while.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PJL

My take on the situation so far: Trump will get a second presidency. Can't see how he can be stopped. The polls bear this out,. Yes very unpopular first year, but this tends to be an indicator that low expectations will give him second presidency. This has been true since at least Bush I if not before.

mongers

Quote from: PJL on February 03, 2018, 04:32:12 PM
My take on the situation so far: Trump will get a second presidency. Can't see how he can be stopped. The polls bear this out,. Yes very unpopular first year, but this tends to be an indicator that low expectations will give him second presidency. This has been true since at least Bush I if not before.

This is the current favourite in the most depressing post of 2018 competition.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Bush I didn't win reelection.  :huh:

And Bush II won because of the war and Kerry's lack of charisma, not because of low expectations.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

At the same time previous history can be misleading. In the past, a Trump wasn't electable.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

He might but I fail to see this inevitability bore out by anything. If he couldn't get a plurality of the votes when he could promise 10,000 unicorns, it will be harder when he has a record to defend.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2018, 05:19:37 PM

At the same time previous history can be misleading. In the past, a Trump wasn't electable.

I fail to see how current trends make him unbeatable. How bizarre.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 03, 2018, 05:19:26 PM

And a year before the election, he had record high approval levels IIRC.  So while President Trump's current record low approval rating doesn't mean he can't win re-election, but I certainly don't think it makes him unbeatable, either.

Admiral Yi

A Trump presidency has generated over a thousand pages of posts before the first midterm.  I wonder how much discussion a Clinton presidency would have generated.

Eddie Teach

I don't think there would be a President Clinton thread pinned for one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

And Bush II won because of the war and Kerry's lack of charisma, not because of low expectations.

Kerry's charisma and leadership was fine for a large section of the electorate, a major part of why he lost was the swiftboat BS, some of that mud stuck. Some republicans were playing that dirty, way back then.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: mongers on February 03, 2018, 09:05:51 PM

Kerry's charisma and leadership was fine for a large section of the electorate, a major part of why he lost was the swiftboat BS, some of that mud stuck. Some republicans were playing that dirty, way back then.

Kerry has the charisma of a used sock.

The Democratic Presidential nominees of my lifetime can basically be divided into 2 groups:  charismatic figures and policy wonks.  (The outlier was Bill Clinton, who was both).  Generally speaking, the charismatic figures win and the policy wonks lose in the general election.

frunk

Quote from: dps on February 03, 2018, 09:37:36 PM
The Democratic Presidential nominees of my lifetime can basically be divided into 2 groups:  charismatic figures and policy wonks.  (The outlier was Bill Clinton, who was both).  Generally speaking, the charismatic figures win and the policy wonks lose in the general election.

I think most of Bill's wonkery came from Hillary, so i think that grouping works perfectly.  Stretching it back to Truman the only exception would be LBJ. 

Oexmelin

No reaction to the announced future military parade ?
Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 07, 2018, 02:57:02 PM
No reaction to the announced future military parade ?

Apparently not, since even you are asking a question rather than reacting to the announcement.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!