News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2018, 11:45:20 AM
No way 45.6 million people watched that shit.

Nielsen ratings say that happened but many have been higher, such as Obama's which was 48 mil.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Wow I never imagined so many people wanted to watch some boring choreographed speech.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

In all seriousness it seems to have been well received.  I read or heard somewhere that 43% of registered Democrats liked the speech. 

I watched most of it, and it wasn't bad as far as SOTU speeches go.  I'd still prefer presidents revert to submitting it in writing, but no way any president is ever going to refuse an hour of free prime time air time.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on February 01, 2018, 12:47:52 PM
In all seriousness it seems to have been well received.  I read or heard somewhere that 43% of registered Democrats liked the speech. 

I don't see why that wouldn't be the case. As mentioned it was a prepared speech that had enough to appeal to both sides. Who cares about that though given that we've already seen a year of what he actually does outside of times when he sticks to a prepared speech.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I read or heard somewhere that 43% of registered Democrats liked the speech. 

Did he say any protectionist things? Because that is one thing many Democrats are cheering him on about. Unfortunately. I get anti-NAFTA leftist spam all the time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2018, 01:12:23 PM
I read or heard somewhere that 43% of registered Democrats liked the speech. 

Did he say any protectionist things? Because that is one thing many Democrats are cheering him on about. Unfortunately. I get anti-NAFTA leftist spam all the time.

He did say some protectionist things, but as he sometimes does he couched them so much it wasn't clear to me (or probably to him) what he actually meant.

My impression is that the left is somewhat less protectionist than it used to be, and IMO we have Bill Clinton to thank for that.  Obviously there are some die-hards that remain.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 01, 2018, 01:46:24 PM
He did say some protectionist things, but as he sometimes does he couched them so much it wasn't clear to me (or probably to him) what he actually meant.

My impression is that the left is somewhat less protectionist than it used to be, and IMO we have Bill Clinton to thank for that.  Obviously there are some die-hards that remain.

When I say the left I actually mean people who are leftist in their politics but when you say the left I sometimes get the impression you mean everybody who is not a conservative. :P

Bill Clinton and his policies are generally not popular at all among leftists. Bernie and his ilk are their standard bearers and you know what they think about it.

I mean it would be great if everybody was onboard for free trade but the Democrats are highly divided on this issue. Corporate evil capitalist corrupt scum liberals like me and the True Champions of the People(tm) are never going to see eye-to-eye on this shit. I think that is one of the reasons the party likes the culture war. It keeps everybody distracted from noticing too much that they are diametrically opposed on most issues and keeps them focused on the vile conservatives and your racist hate mongering ways. The coalition frayed a ton during the election and I was worried the left was going to be triumphant. But instead everybody seems distracted by TRUMPMANIA.

So far from being a few die-hards I think they just put up with us deciding things for as long as they could tolerate it and are now on the ascent. Or I thought they were. I am not really sure. I will be interested to see how the primaries go this spring.

But it is not like the Republicans do not have similar issues.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Larch on February 01, 2018, 11:07:16 AM
Joe Kennedy III? Are there still Kennedys in politics nowadays?

The Adams family stayed prominent in American political and intellectual life for nearly two centuries: John-John Quincy-Charles Francis-Henry-Grizzly-Gomez-Wednesday...

;)

Actually I see from Wikipedia that Fillmore, Taft, Coolidge and Dick Cheney are all somehow related to the Adams family; so maybe there is something to the way Mono picks winners after all.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

I cannot listen to a Kennedy talk anymore and not think of Mayor Quimby from the Simpsons.

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 01, 2018, 11:28:11 AM

Always & forever. Better than Clintons.

I don't know, he came over very badly, sort of college 1st year student trying too hard to be earnest, because he wants to impress the girls.

Really it need a no holes bared, barn stormer of a reply; Democrats standing up, throwing down the gauntlet  and declaring political war on Trump/GOPards.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

He'd have the Dorchester vote locked up for sure.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2018, 02:29:11 PM
When I say the left I actually mean people who are leftist in their politics but when you say the left I sometimes get the impression you mean everybody who is not a conservative. :P

:mellow:

Well, if you don't consider Obama a leftist then I guess we can end that part of the discussion.

QuoteBill Clinton and his policies are generally not popular at all among leftists. Bernie and his ilk are their standard bearers and you know what they think about it.

Some weren't, but on some others (like NAFTA) he pulled some leftish Dems to the center, like he did with welfare reform. 

And yes, Bernie & Co. are anti-NAFTA, but it doesn't seem to be a high priority.  The most vocal anti-Naftites by far are on the Populist Right.

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on February 01, 2018, 05:25:20 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 01, 2018, 11:28:11 AM

Always & forever. Better than Clintons.

I don't know, he came over very badly, sort of college 1st year student trying too hard to be earnest, because he wants to impress the girls.

Also he looked like he just got finished eating pizza.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on February 01, 2018, 06:15:29 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2018, 02:29:11 PM

:mellow:

Well, if you don't consider Obama a leftist then I guess we can end that part of the discussion.

QuoteBill Clinton and his policies are generally not popular at all among leftists. Bernie and his ilk are their standard bearers and you know what they think about it.

Some weren't, but on some others (like NAFTA) he pulled some leftish Dems to the center, like he did with welfare reform. 

And yes, Bernie & Co. are anti-NAFTA, but it doesn't seem to be a high priority.  The most vocal anti-Naftites by far are on the Populist Right.

Here's a good test:  Do you consider the Nazis leftists.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?