News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

FWIW, in our State of the Nation Adress the opposition has the right to reply to the president right after he's made it.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on February 01, 2018, 10:17:44 AM
FWIW, in our State of the Nation Adress the opposition has the right to reply to the president right after he's made it.

Which is totally normal and expected. I am not sure why Tim thought I was referring to that. I suspect it is because setting up an alternative State of the Union Address is so stupid it just did not register in his brain.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2018, 10:20:39 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 01, 2018, 10:17:44 AM

Which is totally normal and expected. I am not sure why Tim thought I was referring to that. I suspect it is because setting up an alternative State of the Union Address is so stupid it just did not register in his brain.

:huh: Spelling isn't stupid.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Valmy is referring to "The People's State of the Union" a protest (billed as a "Public Alternative" to Trump's State of the Union Address) held in New York City on Monday; not the Democratic Party's response to Trump's State of the Union Address, delivered by Joe Kennedy III on Tuesday after Trump's State of the Union address.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

They were talking about 5 different responses on fox, anyone know what that's about?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on February 01, 2018, 10:29:49 AM
Valmy is referring to "The People's State of the Union" a protest (billed as a "Public Alternative" to Trump's State of the Union Address) held in New York City on Monday; not the Democratic Party's response to Trump's State of the Union Address, delivered by Joe Kennedy III on Tuesday after Trump's State of the Union address.

:yes:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Larch

Joe Kennedy III? Are there still Kennedys in politics nowadays?

frunk

Quote from: The Larch on February 01, 2018, 11:07:16 AM

Unfortunately.

celedhring

The Larch

Yep, Irish and a Kennedy, no doubt about that.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2018, 10:09:48 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 31, 2018, 10:49:25 PM
There has been a response to the state of the union since 1966, so I guess your entire life has been a stupid age.

Was there a time when people did not respond to the State of the Union Address? :unsure:

Anyway why would I think a response is stupid? I was talking about setting up your alternative speech.

A response is fine, and fair.  More than one response is silly (the Dems had like 5 or 6-- granted the GOP sort of started it when they had a Tea Party response on top of the official GOP one).  The alternative SOTU is plain dumb.

I do regret missing Maxine Waters' response, though.  I'm sure it was a doozy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Went back and saw some parts I missed.
Gitmo? "unlawful combatants"?  That was a serious retro neo-con flashback moment.  I know Trump likes to dwell on the past, and I know his comms department likes to plagiarize other politicians all Biden-like, but that's no excuse for lifting large chunks of Bush's 2004 SotU address and reading it straight.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on February 01, 2018, 11:07:16 AM

Always & forever. Better than Clintons.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on February 01, 2018, 07:22:35 AM
And in the no surprise at all section:

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump    13m (ago)

Thank you for all of the nice compliments and reviews on the State of the Union speech. 45.6 million people watched, the highest number in history. @FoxNews beat every other Network, for the first time ever, with 11.7 million people tuning in. Delivered from the heart!

It's all about the ratings folks.

And of course it's Trump so it's also untrue.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

No way 45.6 million people watched that shit.