And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I shouldn't have been surprised by this, but I was:

QuoteTrump Alarms Lawmakers With Disparaging Words for Haiti and Africa

WASHINGTON — President Trump on Thursday balked at an immigration deal that would include protections for people from Haiti and African countries, demanding to know at a White House meeting why he should accept immigrants from "shithole countries" rather than people from places like Norway, according to people with direct knowledge of the conversation.

Mr. Trump's remarks left members of Congress attending the meeting in the Cabinet Room alarmed and mystified. They were there discussing an emerging bipartisan deal to give legal status to immigrants illegally brought to the United States as children, the people said, speaking on condition of anonymity without authorization to discuss the explosive proceedings of the private meeting.

When Mr. Trump heard that Haitians were among those who would benefit, he asked if they could be left out of the plan, according to the people familiar with the conversation, asking, "Why do we want people from Haiti here?"

The comments were reminiscent of ones the president made last year in an Oval Office meeting with Cabinet officials and administration aides, where he complained about admitting Haitians to the country, saying that they all had AIDS, as well as Nigerians, who he said would never go back to their "huts," according to officials who heard the statements in person or were briefed on the remarks by people who did. The White House vehemently denied last month that Mr. Trump made those remarks.

In a written statement on Thursday, Raj Shah, the White House deputy press secretary, did not deny the account or directly address Mr. Trump's comments during the meeting.

"Certain Washington politicians choose to fight for foreign countries, but President Trump will always fight for the American people," Mr. Shah said. "Like other nations that have merit-based immigration, President Trump is fighting for permanent solutions that make our country stronger by welcoming those who can contribute to our society, grow our economy and assimilate into our great nation."

The episode, first reported by The Washington Post, unfolded as Mr. Trump was hosting a meeting with Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, and Richard J. Durbin, Democrat of Illinois, who are working to codify the protections in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA, the Obama-era initiative that provided temporary work permits and reprieves from deportation to immigrants brought to the United States as children by their parents. Representative Kevin McCarthy, Republican of California and the majority leader; Senator David Perdue, Republican of Georgia; Senator Tom Cotton, Republican of Arkansas; and Representative Robert W. Goodlatte, Republican of Virginia and the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, were also there.

The plan would also include some $2.7 million for border security and a grant of protected status for the parents of the so-called Dreamers, who would be barred from sponsoring their parents for citizenship.

Mr. Trump grew angry as the group detailed another aspect of the deal — a move to end the diversity visa lottery program and use some of the 50,000 visas to protect vulnerable populations who have been living in the United States under so-called Temporary Protected Status. That was when he asked about Haiti.

When the discussion turned to African nations, the people with knowledge of the conversation added, Mr. Trump asked why he would want "all these people from shithole countries," adding that the United States should admit more people from places like Norway.

:uffda:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

If only the Republicans could summon some decency.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

I for one agree with the notion of offering amnesty to the hordes of illegal Norwegian immigrant children - one of the major problems facing the US today, are the uncountable numbers of innocent children being forced to return to the hellhole that is Norway.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

QuoteThe Pentagon's senior enlisted service member has issued a blunt warning to Islamic State fighters, saying in new social-media posts that they could either surrender or face death in a number of forms, including being beaten to death with steel entrenching tools.

Army Command Sgt. Maj. John Wayne Troxell, the senior enlisted adviser in the Pentagon, issued the warnings on Facebook and Twitter. Senior U.S. officials, including Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, have warned Islamic State fighters for months that they must lay down their weapons or face annihilation, but Troxell's message was unusually forceful.

"ISIS needs to understand that the Joint Force is on orders to annihilate them," Troxell wrote on Facebook. "So, they have two options should they decide to come up against the United States, our allies and partners: surrender or die!"

Troxell added that the U.S.-led military coalition will provide militants who surrender with safety in a detainee cell, food, a cot and legal due process.

"HOWEVER, if they choose not to surrender, then we will kill them with extreme prejudice, whether that be through security force assistance, by dropping bombs on them, shooting them in the face, or beating them to death with our entrenching tools," Troxell wrote. "Regardless, they cannot win, so they need to choose how it's going to be."

Basecop lost his entrenching tool.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 11, 2018, 08:43:59 PM
QuoteThe Pentagon's senior enlisted service member has issued a blunt warning to Islamic State fighters, saying in new social-media posts that they could either surrender or face death in a number of forms, including being beaten to death with steel entrenching tools.

Army Command Sgt. Maj. John Wayne Troxell, the senior enlisted adviser in the Pentagon, issued the warnings on Facebook and Twitter. Senior U.S. officials, including Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, have warned Islamic State fighters for months that they must lay down their weapons or face annihilation, but Troxell's message was unusually forceful.

"ISIS needs to understand that the Joint Force is on orders to annihilate them," Troxell wrote on Facebook. "So, they have two options should they decide to come up against the United States, our allies and partners: surrender or die!"

Troxell added that the U.S.-led military coalition will provide militants who surrender with safety in a detainee cell, food, a cot and legal due process.

"HOWEVER, if they choose not to surrender, then we will kill them with extreme prejudice, whether that be through security force assistance, by dropping bombs on them, shooting them in the face, or beating them to death with our entrenching tools," Troxell wrote. "Regardless, they cannot win, so they need to choose how it's going to be."

Basecop lost his entrenching tool.

E-Tool FTW.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Apparently the White House is thinking of a small military strike on North Korea.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on January 11, 2018, 09:40:10 PM
Apparently the White House is thinking of a small military strike on North Korea.

I hope this isn't true.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Guess they're rally worried that Mueller is getting close.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on January 11, 2018, 09:57:41 PM

Maybe he can't live with something, the olympics, being bigger than him in the news cycle for a couple of weeks? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on January 11, 2018, 09:57:41 PM

I wish I could say I didn't think that was a factor.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on January 11, 2018, 10:21:28 PM

Full FT.com article on issue, worth a read:

https://www.ft.com/content/a6384b1e-eaf7-11e7-8713-513b1d7ca85a

Do you get a commission of you generate new subscribers?

FunkMonk

We elect a shithole then we get a shithole president, he's not going to change because he's a shithole
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on January 11, 2018, 10:21:28 PM

Full FT.com article on issue, worth a read:

https://www.ft.com/content/a6384b1e-eaf7-11e7-8713-513b1d7ca85a

Can us nonsubscribers get a summary or a quote of the most important bit?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point