News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

He's quoting Scott Adams almost verbatim if you want his sources.

Scott Adams is wrong, of course. Virtually no one opposing Trump is claiming he is "somewhat effective".
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Legbiter

Just banting with FunkMonk Valmy. We do that every once in a while. Take it easy.

Jesus.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Quote from: Habbaku on December 20, 2017, 03:11:53 PMVirtually no one opposing Trump is claiming he is "somewhat effective".

Fact check: True.  :lol:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on December 20, 2017, 03:14:26 PM
Just banting with FunkMonk Valmy. We do that every once in a while. Take it easy.

Jesus.

Ok then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 20, 2017, 01:57:23 PM
Looks like the Rs actually got something major passed. Finally the Donald will be able to point to something yuge that happened in his Administration. I have to admit, the R record for incompetence in both Congress and the WH had me thinking even today that they would fuck it up bigly. 

I guess it's because I'm on the RNC mailing list, but I get amusing emails "from" Trump.  I know he's not typing them up himself, but they do a pretty good job emulating his style.  This afternoon's email was titled "WINNING":

QuoteWe did it, Friend.

Thanks to you, America is getting the biggest tax cut in history. This never could've happened without your support. OUR bill...

☑ Cuts taxes by $1.5 TRILLION
☑ Repeals the ObamaCare mandate
☑ Brings back American money parked overseas
☑ Increases the child tax credit for working families
☑ Makes American industry competitive with the world
☑ Overhauls our complicated, loophole-infested tax code

Now I want to close out our historic inaugural year STRONG, because this is not my presidency, it's yours. It belongs to the people who truly power our nation.

Please make a grassroots contribution to show our movement is only getting started: America is coming roaring back, bigger, stronger, and GREATER than EVER before!

You're welcome.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Is mandate repeal really in there? I was unaware.

And is there an amnesty or end to extraterritoriality (probably not the right word), or are they basing the claim of bringing back profits on just the reduction in corporate rate?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

AT&T and Fifth Third Bank (stupidest name ever) announced they will give employees a $1,000 bonus if the tax plan passes.

derspiess

I once worked in a division of Fifth Third. Weird place.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2017, 06:08:08 PM
AT&T and Fifth Third Bank (stupidest name ever) announced they will give employees a $1,000 bonus if the tax plan passes.

WINNING

America seems BETTER OFF with this tax plan!!
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2017, 04:39:54 PM
When does this all go into effect?

Today, in the Rose Garden, where everyone's eternal soul who was about to die saluted him.

QuoteThe Washington Post's Aaron Blake compiled this list of Pence's many, many expressions of gratitude:

1. "Thank you for seeing, through the course of this year, an agenda that truly is restoring this country."
    2. "You described it very well, Mr. President."
    3. "You've restored American credibility on the world stage."
    4. "You've signed more bills rolling back federal red tape than any president in American history."
    5. "You've unleashed American energy."
    6. "You've spurred an optimism in this country that's setting records."
    7. "You promised the American people in that campaign a year ago that you would deliver historic tax cuts, and it would be a 'middle-class miracle.' And in just a short period of time, that promise will be fulfilled."
    8. "I'm deeply humbled, as your vice president, to be able to be here."
    9. "Because of your leadership, Mr. President, and because of the strong support of the leadership in the Congress of the United States, you're delivering on that middle-class miracle."
    10. "You've actually got the Congress to do, as you said, what they couldn't do with [the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska] for 40 years."
    11. "You got the Congress to do, with tax cuts for working families and American businesses, what they haven't been able to do for 31 years."
    12. "And you got Congress to do what they couldn't do for seven years, in repealing the individual mandate in Obamacare."
    13. "Mostly, Mr. President, I'll end where I began and just tell you, I want to thank you, Mr. President. I want to thank you for speaking on behalf of and fighting every day for the forgotten men and women of America."
    14. "Because of your determination, because of your leadership, the forgotten men and women of America are forgotten no more. And we are making America great again."

QuoteBut Pence was hardly alone in furiously sacrificing his dignity on the altar of the president's fragile ego. Here is what 83-year-old Utah senator Orrin Hatch had to say about a president who watches television for four-to-eight hours a day; goes on a golf vacation nearly every weekend; and who has effectively turned the White House into an "adult daycare center," according to other Republican senators:

Mr. President, I have to say that you're living up to everything I thought you would. You're a heck of a leader. And we're all benefiting from it. This president hasn't even been in office for a year and look at all the things that he's been able to get done — by sheer will, in many ways ... I came from very humble roots. And I have to say that this is one of the great privileges of my life to stand here on the White House lawn with the president of the United States who I love and appreciate so much ... We're going to make this the greatest presidency that we've seen, not only in generations, but maybe ever.

Tennessee congresswoman Diane Black opted to debase herself with a bit more concision, saying "Thank you, President Trump, for allowing us to have you as our President." :lol:

Meanwhile, Paul Ryan praised Trump's "exquisite leadership," and thanked him for "getting us over the finish line." Mitch McConnell declared Trump's entire first year in office to be an "extraordinary accomplishment."

Ben Carson thanked God for giving America a president who is "courageous" and "willing to face the winds of controversy in order to provide a better future for those who come behind us."

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/12/all-the-sycophantic-compliments-republicans-gave-trump-today.html

Habbaku

Quote from: Legbiter on December 20, 2017, 03:17:58 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on December 20, 2017, 03:11:53 PMVirtually no one opposing Trump is claiming he is "somewhat effective".

Fact check: True.  :lol:

You aren't even an entertaining troll.  :(
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Legbiter on December 20, 2017, 03:01:05 PM
It's interesting though how the media narrative around Trump has shifted quickly from Literally Hitler at first to Incompetent Trump during the summer and now to Somewhat Effective But We Don't Like It at the end of the year.

I don't see where that narrative has appeared anywhere.  Everybody knows he is absolutely clueless about policy, how government works, and that he can't read.  Even Paul Ryan thanked him yesterday for staying the fuck out of shit he knows nothing about.