What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://thehill.com/media/347952-wsj-gop-lawmakers-should-ignore-trump-and-focus-on-their-own-goals

QuoteWall Street Journal editorial: GOP should treat Trump as a 'political independent'

The Wall Street Journal's editorial board on Friday advised Republican lawmakers to ignore recent attacks from President Trump and to pursue an agenda independent from the administration.

To keep a majority in 2018, Republicans must "fulfill their legislative promises" with or without Trump's support, the editorial says.

"Republicans in Congress need to think of themselves as governing with an independent President — if they don't already. This doesn't mean joining Democrats as "the Resistance." But it does mean acting on their own to fulfill their legislative promises with or without the support of Mr. Trump," The Journal's editorial board wrote. "If the President goes his own way, at least Republicans can point to votes for legislation that they put on his desk."

The editorial comes in light of Trump's stepped up attacks on Republican lawmakers and the looming threat of a government shutdown this fall.

Trump has publicly feuded with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), criticizing him for failing to pass an ObamaCare repeal bill and blaming him and House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) over the coming debt ceiling fight, which Trump called a "mess."

Trump has pointed the finger at Republican leadership for failing to score more legislative victories, and added pressure on lawmakers to avoid a government shutdown, raise the debt ceiling and get tax reform — a longtime GOP promise — off the ground.

But Trump also threatened to shut down the government in order to secure funding for his proposed border wall with Mexico while speaking during a rally in Phoenix, Ariz. on Tuesday.

"Build that wall. Now the obstructionist Democrats would like us not to do it, but believe me if we have to close down our government, we're building that wall," Trump said Tuesday.

The Wall Street Journal editorial board said a shutdown fight over the border wall would do nothing to help Republicans and that lawmakers should ignore the added pressure from Trump to ensure a 2018 majority.

"The GOP should pass a budget that has as many of its priorities as possible, and more money for border enforcement ought to satisfy the immigration restrictionists. The physical wall is Mr. Trump's personal preoccupation. He can veto a bill without it, but then he'd be responsible for the shutdown," the Journal wrote.

"Legislative success—especially on tax reform—is the best way Republicans can protect themselves from any Trump undertow in 2018."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Nazi week set a high bar for worst week.  Even Trump's got to work to out shitty that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 25, 2017, 10:31:50 AM
Nazi week set a high bar for worst week.  Even Trump's got to work to out shitty that.

Famous last words?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

The one sort of work he's truly adept at.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on August 25, 2017, 12:31:27 PM

Famous last words?

I said he had to work to do it.  Not that it couldn't be done.  The man has a talent for epic-sized dumpster fires.  It'll be tough but his massive personality flaws are up to the challenge.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Trump ramping up 2020 reelection campaign

QuoteTrump is mapping out a fall fundraising tour that is expected to fill his campaign bank account with tens of millions of dollars. His team has tracked dozens of potential Democratic rivals, a list of names that ranges from Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren to Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg. And his administration has received political advice from a top campaign pollster from his 2016 campaign, who has urged the president to keep up his attacks on the mainstream media.
[/b]

that could explain why he spends so much time attacking the media, more than he attacks terrorists. 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Liep

Pardons, hurricanes, North Korean missiles. Lots of things happening tonight
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Whew.  Thank Christ that asshole is gone.

QuoteWhite House aide Sebastian Gorka resigns
By ANNIE KARNI and JOSH DAWSEY
08/25/2017 08:43 PM EDT
Updated 08/25/2017 09:32 PM EDT
POLITICO

Sebastian Gorka, a deputy assistant to the president who was closely aligned with former chief strategist Steve Bannon, has resigned from the administration, a source close to Gorka confirmed Friday.

In a resignation letter, published Friday night by The Federalist and confirmed by POLITICO, Gorka cited "forces" that do not support President Donald Trump's "MAGA promise" as those that drove him out of the White House.

"Regrettably, outside of yourself, the individuals who most embodied and represented the policies that will 'Make America Great Again,' have been internally countered, systematically removed, or undermined in recent months," Gorka wrote.

Confirmation of the resignation came one week to the day after Bannon was fired from his White House position.

A senior White House official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said Friday night: "Sebastian Gorka did not resign, but I can confirm he no longer works at the White House."

The latest high-profile resignation from the populist faction of Trump's ideologically divided West Wing resulted from a major policy disagreement about Afghanistan. Gorka, a White House official said, disagreed with Trump's decision to dispatch more American troops to Afghanistan, a tortured decision the president outlined in his first national security address, on Tuesday night.

In his resignation letter, Gorka wrote that "the fact that those who drafted and approved the speech removed any mention of Radical Islam or radical Islamic terrorism proves that a crucial element of your presidential campaign has been lost."

The news of Gorka's departure was greeted with resignation by Trump loyalists, who believe the president has handed over too much power to military officers and former generals — including his new chief of staff, John Kelly, and national security adviser H.R. McMaster — and is losing any connection to the base that elected him.

"I guess that means the seven-day-in-May crowd  :lol: is making steady progress and trying to convert the Trump administration to George Soros-style globalism," said political operative Roger Stone, a longtime Trump adviser and confidant. "The decision over Afghanistan was very disappointing. I'm sorry that Gorka is leaving. He's one of the few people who actually voted for Trump and understands Trump's worldview."

Stone, who helped Trump think through his presidential bid, warned that while he is not yet throwing in the towel on the Trump presidency, "I can find another candidate for 2020 who can win the primary, believe me."

Gorka was closely aligned with Bannon, and often attended meetings as Bannon's surrogate and worked with his former Breitbart colleague in his West Wing office.

Internally, Bannon was his biggest defender against skeptics who accused him of holding anti-Semitic views and playing up his intellectual status by insisting on going by "Dr. Sebastian Gorka." But he was not seen as a power player in the administration other than as an effective television surrogate. That role endeared him to Trump but made him thin-skinned about the media that covered him: He often blocked mainstream-media journalists from following him on Twitter.

It was not clear whether Gorka, like Bannon, would return to Breitbart News, where he previously served as national security editor.

Ed Anger

It'll take awhile to get the beet smell out of the White House.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 25, 2017, 08:41:04 PM
Whew.  Thank Christ that asshole is gone.

Yeah, a class 1A wanker.

A Brit too.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on August 19, 2017, 11:38:55 AM

Week isn't over with; but I think Trump finally broke the streak.  This week included Trump's crazed rant in Phoenix; former head of National Intelligence, James Clapper, questioning his fitness to be in office; and a threat to shut down the government over the border wall.  Yet, by the standards of Trump, this was a pretty good week.   :)

I think the shut down threat hurts him with the Senate. His fights with GOP senators are going to have consequences down the road. Still might be on of his best weeks though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 25, 2017, 11:01:31 PM
Just noticed he pardoned sheriff Joe. Ugh :yucky:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyjsemotiuk/2017/08/25/trumps-pardon-of-sheriff-arpaio-could-spark-a-constitutional-crisis/#5e15d03351e2

And it's time for Dorito Grande to get the fuck out of there before he decides to see just how far he can go with the pardon power.
Experience bij!

garbon

It's like everything he does is designed to tear America apart. You can't bumble your way into this many bad decisions.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.