News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on August 10, 2017, 01:17:22 PM
Let's hope we have a future ...

But more importantly, how will a nuclear war effect Toronto house prices?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on August 10, 2017, 02:35:41 PM

Asking the truly important questions, I see.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Odd that in this current crisis, some of the N.Korean propaganda is now sounding more reasoned than Trump is.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on August 10, 2017, 02:55:54 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 10, 2017, 02:35:41 PM

Asking the truly important questions, I see.  ;)

I mean you should always try to look on the bright side :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

FunkMonk

Donald is at heart a coward and wouldn't really try to postpone the 2020 election, unless he thought it would actually be easy and people let him do it. He likes to do easy things and then brag about how hard it actually was to make himself look so, so great.

If he did try to postpone the election I genuinely think there would be states seriously contemplating secession though. :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Quote from: Syt on July 31, 2017, 02:23:18 AM
Well, the State department wants to reduce its staff, anyways.

Called it!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/10/donald-trump-russia-diplomats-north-korea

QuoteGolf club diplomacy: Trump thanks Putin for expelling US diplomats

Donald Trump has thanked Vladimir Putin for expelling 755 American diplomatic staff from Russia, claiming that it will save the US "a lot of money".

The US president on Thursday held a characteristically free-wheeling, subject-hopping, occasionally stunning question and answer session over 20 minutes with pool reporters at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey.

When Putin announced last month that the American diplomatic mission in Russia must cut its staff by 755 employees, an ill-tempered response to new US sanctions, the gesture was seen as putting relations at their lowest ebb since the cold war.

But Trump, widely criticised for his warm relationship with Putin, said on Thursday: "I want to thank him because we're trying to cut down our payroll and as far as I'm concerned, I'm very thankful that he let go of a large number of people because now we have a smaller payroll.

"There's no real reason for them to go back. I greatly appreciate the fact that we've been able to cut our payroll of the United States. We're going to save a lot of money."

The claim was just one of many surprise insights into the thinking of Trump, who was flanked by Vice-President Mike Pence and the national security adviser, HR McMaster. Here are subject-by-subject highlights of the session, which the New York Times columnist Frank Bruni described as a "melodious aria" of self-praise:

North Korea

"He does something in Guam, it will be an event the likes of which nobody's seen before, what will happen in North Korea."

Asked if that was a dare, Trump bristled: "It's not a dare. It's a statement. It has nothing to do with dare. That's a statement. He's not going to go around threatening Guam and he's not going to threaten the United States and he's not going to threaten Japan and he's not going to threaten South Korea. No, that's not a dare, as you say. That is a statement of fact."

How the threat of nuclear weapons compares with climate change

"Nuclear to me, number one, I would like to 'de-nuke' the world. I know that President Obama said global warming is the biggest threat. I totally disagree... I'd like to de-nuke the world. I would like Russia, the United States and China and Pakistan and many other countries that have nuclear weapons get rid of them. But until such time that they do, we will be the most powerful nuclear nation on earth, by far."

Why he announced a ban on transgender personnel in the military

"I have great respect for the community ... I think I've had great support, or I've had great support from that community. I got a lot of votes. But the transgender, the military's working on it now ... It's been a very difficult situation and I think I'm doing a lot of people a favour by coming out and just saying it. As you know, it's been a very complicated issue for the military, it's been a very confusing issue for the military, and I think I'm doing the military a great favour."

Investigations into leaks from the White House

"We're looking. We're always looking. We have two leaks. You have the leaks coming out of intelligence and various departments having to do with Syria, having to do with all sorts of different places, having to do, frankly, with North Korea. And those are very serious. And then you have the leaks where people want to love me and they're all fighting for love. Those are not very important but certainly we don't like them. Those are little inner-White House leaks. They're not very important. But actually I'm somewhat honored by them. But the important leaks and the leaks that the attorney general is looking at very strongly are the leaks coming out of intelligence and we have to stop them for the security and the national security of our country."

Whether he will dismiss special counsel Robert Mueller

"I haven't given it any thought. Well, I've been reading about it from you people. You say, 'Oh, I'm going to dismiss him.' No, I'm not dismissing anybody. I mean, I want them to get on with the task. But I also want the Senate and the House to come out with their findings. Now, judging from the people leaving the meetings, they leave the meetings all the time and they say we haven't found anything ... "

Mueller's investigation into Russia's interference in the presidential election

"We're working with him. We have a situation that's very unusual. There was no collusion between us and Russia. In fact, the opposite. Russia spent a lot of money on fighting me ... Additionally, it seems that Russia spent a lot of money on that false report, and that was Russian money, and I think it was Democrat money too. You could say that was collusion. Plus the Democrats colluded on the Ukraine, so they colluded.

"... So, we have an investigation of something that never took place. And all I say is work with them, because this is an event that never took place. Now, as far as somebody else, where did they file the right papers, or did they forget to file a paper. You know, like I guarantee that if we went around and looked at everybody who made a speech or whatever these people did, that's up to them.

"Did they do something wrong because they didn't file the right document or whatever? Perhaps, you'd have to look at them, but I guarantee you this, there are probably a lot of people in Washington who did the same thing."

FBI raid of former campaign manager Paul Manafort's home

"I thought it was a very, very strong signal, or whatever. I know Mr Manafort. Haven't spoken to him in a long time, but I know him. He was with the campaign for a relatively short period of time. I thought it was a very – you know, they do that very seldom, so I was surprised to see it. I was very, very surprised to see it."

Asked if he had talked to the attorney general or FBI about the raid, Trump replied: "No, I have not, but to do that early in the morning, whether or not it was appropriate, you'd have to ask them. I've always found Paul Manafort to be a very decent man. He's like a lot of other people, probably makes consultant fees from all over the place, who knows, I don't know, but I thought it was pretty tough stuff to wake him up, perhaps his family was there. I think that's pretty tough stuff."

Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell and his wife, transportation secretary Elaine Chao

"Elaine is doing a very good job. We're very proud of Elaine as secretary of transportation, as you know. She's doing a very good job. I'm very disappointed in Mitch. If he gets these bills passed, I'll be very happy with him and I'll be the first to admit it."

Measuring his own success

"I actually said to Tim Cook of Apple, I said, 'You know Tim, I won't consider myself successful as president unless I see you start building those big, beautiful plants that you have all over China, you start building them in the United States.' And he's gonna do that."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2017, 11:28:31 AM
Pence will save us all-- even those of you unworthy of salvation.

Last I checked the messiah doesn't get qualified by taking the #2 job with the devil.
Pence got us into the mess by providing cover, support, enablement.  He's a symptom not a cure.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

That's from Jesus' unreported Sermon Further Down the Mount.  If thine enemy strikes thee on the right cheek, turn the key and immolate his people in nuclear fire.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 11, 2017, 12:13:53 AM
That's from Jesus' unreported Sermon Further Down the Mount.  If thine enemy strikes thee on the right cheek, turn the key and immolate his people in nuclear fire.

I don't think the President should take advice on nuclear war from people who wish to see the end of the world.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Do not worry.  Eastern Quebec will rise from the ashes and takes its true place as leader of the freeworld!  We will survive!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2017, 08:23:22 AM
I don't think the President should take advice on nuclear war from people who wish to see the end of the world.
I don't think the President should take advice from religious leaders.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

I don't think the President anyone should take advice from Viper.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.