And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on July 26, 2017, 03:11:55 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 26, 2017, 02:52:01 PM
If you believe White people are naturally superior to other people.

Ah I see... I think another popular definition is "if you think society should be structured to primarily benefit white people".

I don't think any white supremacists would think of it that way. Probably not an accurate definition.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Ah I see... I think another popular definition is "if you think society should be structured to primarily benefit white people".

Wouldn't a White Supremacist have to, by definition, believe that White people are better than non-White people, and therefore ought to dominate over them?

The definition you have provided, seems to  me, goes for any ethnic or tribal chauvinist, even if they believed people in their particular ethnicity or tribe weren't "superior" to others.     
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

I don't think much of that definition.

If that's your definition, and you believe that society is already structured to primarily benefit white people, then viola!  Anyone who believes in the status quo can be dismissed as a white supremacist.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 26, 2017, 03:55:41 PM

If that's your definition, and you believe that society is already structured to primarily benefit white people, then viola!  Anyone who believes in the status quo can be dismissed as a white supremacist.

Well if you believe that the racist status quo should be kept than yeah that's kinda racist.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

QuoteDonald J. Trump‏
@realDonaldTrump

IN AMERICA WE DON'T WORSHIP GOVERNMENT - WE WORSHIP GOD! http://45.wh.gov/POTUSInsta
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on July 26, 2017, 03:59:40 PM

Well if you believe that the racist status quo should be kept than yeah that's kinda racist.

But I don't think the status quo is generally racist.

grumbler

Who believes that the racist elements of the status quo should be retained?  "Status quo" is far more complex than a simplistic "racist/non-racist" divide can express.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on July 26, 2017, 04:52:10 PM

Who believes that the racist elements of the status quo should be retained?  "Status quo" is far more complex than a simplistic "racist/non-racist" divide can express.

Not sure why you are replying to me with that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 26, 2017, 04:47:41 PM

Well that's a post that says basically nothing.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 26, 2017, 04:53:46 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 26, 2017, 04:52:10 PM

Not sure why you are replying to me with that.

I'm okay with that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on July 26, 2017, 04:15:26 PM
QuoteDonald J. Trump‏
@realDonaldTrump

IN AMERICA WE DON'T WORSHIP GOVERNMENT - WE WORSHIP GOD! http://45.wh.gov/POTUSInsta

Zeus, n. The chief of Grecian gods, adored by the Romans as Jupiter and by the modern Americans as God, Gold, Mob and Dog. Some explorers who have touched upon the shores of America, and one who professes to have penetrated a considerable distance to the interior, have thought that these four names stand for as many distinct deities, but in his monumental work on Surviving Faiths, Frumpp insists that the natives are monotheists, each having no other god than himself, whom he worships under many sacred names.

-Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Oexmelin

What would it take to convince you otherwise?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 26, 2017, 05:12:52 PM

What would it take to convince you otherwise?

Whadda ya got?

Oexmelin

Everything, really. I genuinely want to know what your criteria are, because it would be a waste to just hurl data that are not liable to convince you.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Minsky Moment

It's pretty incontestable that the status quo is one where their is material and significant diversion in outcomes based on race: income, wealth, positions of power and authority, and so on. 
So the challenge of the no racism hypothesis is to explain how one reaches such outcomes in the absence of racism.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson