News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

You guys are talking about a symptom rather than a cause, if the US gets into that bad a situation, then significant parts of American society and some institution will be in open revolt.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

QuoteDonald Trump: Could the US president pardon himself?

22 July 2017

Amid relentless scrutiny over possible ties between his presidential campaign and Russia, an extraordinary suggestion has emerged - that Donald Trump could pardon himself or his family.

The Washington Post reported that Mr Trump inquired about the scope of his power to issue pardons, as a means of undercutting special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into alleged Russian interference in the US election.

Mr Trump has since tweeted that "all agree the US President has the complete power to pardon".

To some experts, this would be like a judge presiding over their own trial. Others though say Mr Trump may be correct - although that is not to say it would be a good idea

Full item here::
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40693249

Then that'll be the only time in his life he'll say "Pardon me".

CountDeMoney

Don't fall for the Russian troll, mongers.  DRussel is just planting fake news.

dps

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 23, 2017, 10:00:25 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2017, 09:40:41 AM
AFAIK his power to pardon is pretty much unlimited.

It doesn't cover impeachment, so it won't save his job or any other cabinet official (so, say, they could still kick Rex Tillerson out despite a presidential pardon).

Most of the analysis I've heard is:

1) Only for federal crimes, not for state,
2) Not for himself, and
3) Being considered an admission of guilt, may actually advance a case for obstruction of justice against The Don himself.

Accepting parole is an admission of guilt.  AFAIK, accepting a pardon is not.  In fact, the President can pardon people for crimes that they haven't even been charged with.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on July 23, 2017, 05:00:39 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 23, 2017, 10:00:25 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2017, 09:40:41 AM
AFAIK his power to pardon is pretty much unlimited.

It doesn't cover impeachment, so it won't save his job or any other cabinet official (so, say, they could still kick Rex Tillerson out despite a presidential pardon).

Most of the analysis I've heard is:

1) Only for federal crimes, not for state,
2) Not for himself, and
3) Being considered an admission of guilt, may actually advance a case for obstruction of justice against The Don himself.

Accepting parole is an admission of guilt.  AFAIK, accepting a pardon is not.  In fact, the President can pardon people for crimes that they haven't even been charged with.
I believe you do have to accept guilt to accept a pardon and it removes 5th amendment protection. You have to testify against other folks involved if you take a pardon.

Also, LOL
QuoteA brutal response to Trump's complaints about Republicans not doing enough to defend him from a GOP Senate aide:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Whatever, Donald.

Trump: USS Ford is '100,000-ton message to the world'

Quote"Wherever this vessel cuts through the horizon, our allies will rest easy and our enemies will shake with fear because everyone will know that America is coming, and America is coming strong," Trump said.

#GrabThatThirdPussyWire

QuoteAfter the speech, he put the Ford into commission and asked God to "bless and guide this warship and all who shall sail in her."

:bleeding:

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on July 22, 2017, 09:29:19 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 21, 2017, 11:45:59 PM
Ok. They ran a psyops campaign that was unexpectedly successful. We probably do the same things.
Except for the successful part. Our psyops are run by hansmeister.

I kinda wonder what he thinks of this whole Trump thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2017, 10:40:55 PM
Ok. They ran a psyops campaign that was unexpectedly successful. We probably do the same things.

He's been seconded to ECOMCON; currently incommunicado.

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on July 23, 2017, 11:28:58 PM

There's an acronym that gives away your age!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on July 23, 2017, 11:28:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2017, 10:40:55 PM

Or maybe he's cosplaying a soldier at Comic Con.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

:hmm:

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/888904322326638592/photo/1
QuoteAsymmetric polarization: The entire GOP has moved to the right, where Dems have just become slightly less moderate.

QuoteWhile US lawmakers have polarized largely due to GOP moving right (as above graphs show) the public has moved rapidly both directions
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

QuoteDonald J. Trump‏
Verified account

So why aren't the Committees and investigators, and of course our beleaguered A.G., looking into Crooked Hillarys crimes & Russia relations?

Speaks for itself.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Can't you appoint people to do that Mr. President?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

QuoteDonald J. Trump‏
 @realDonaldTrump  1h
1 hour ago

Republicans have a last chance to do the right thing on Repeal & Replace after years of talking & campaigning on it.

And again.
Because it was "Republicans" who talked and campaigned on Repeal & Replace while lacking any plan to do it.
Not some particular guy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 24, 2017, 09:27:09 AM
QuoteDonald J. Trump‏
Verified account

So why aren't the Committees and investigators, and of course our beleaguered A.G., looking into Crooked Hillarys crimes & Russia relations?

Speaks for itself.

From the desk of Richard Nixon:

So why aren't the Committees and investigators, and of course our beleaguered A.G., looking into Crooked George McGoverns crimes?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius