News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on February 18, 2017, 06:41:11 PM
the "non-editorial article about people stranded at airports, families separated, the chaotic implementation of the ban, etc.," would read differently if the journalistic integrity remained the same but the authors and staff of the news agency happened to have personal views consistent with the average muslim or white male anti-immigrant extremist, for two examples using opposite ends of the spectrum.

I imagine it would.  And that in your opinion would make it "far from the truth?"

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on February 18, 2017, 04:54:38 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 18, 2017, 04:51:25 PM
You know as little about Jobs's "reality distortion field" as you do about punctuation.

then explain it in your own words

It was coined as a compliment to Jobs.  His charisma and persuasiveness got him a workforce and customer base committed to his vision beyond anything logic could support.

Trump is just a pathological liar.  He lies because he likes to lie.  I think he gets a feeling of superiority from it, because his daddy's money made people unwilling to contradict him when he was young and malleable. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2017, 06:45:37 PMI imagine it would.  And that in your opinion would make it "far from the truth?"

it makes it "far from the truth" for members of the opposite group, to use the earlier simplified-analogy. yeah. if an article discusses an immigration ban to members who support it and uses language consistent with that members' view, they're going to support it--they're in support of the ban. they don't truly care about those families, just like the average american pro-iraqi war didn't truly care about the iraqi families when an article occasionally mentioned how US armed forces killed civilians via collateral damage, because they're not really empathizing with those families. similarly, some (mostly anti-ban) empathize with the immigrant families, but others (mostly pro-ban) don't. a pro-ban article is going to focus less attention on the families -- sure they get a sentence or two to maintain journalistic integrity and show The Other Side's viewpoint, but then they focus on other things. you can have an article be 100% true yet still be slanted toward a particular group.

LaCroix

Quote from: grumbler on February 18, 2017, 06:52:41 PMIt was coined as a compliment to Jobs.  His charisma and persuasiveness got him a workforce and customer base committed to his vision beyond anything logic could support.

Trump is just a pathological liar.  He lies because he likes to lie.  I think he gets a feeling of superiority from it, because his daddy's money made people unwilling to contradict him when he was young and malleable.

an engineer would give jobs an idea, jobs would tell the engineer it was a terrible idea, and then he would return a week later and tell the engineer to implement a new idea of his: the idea the engineer had given him. this happened frequently. this was part of jobs' unusual mentality that resulted in people coining things like "reality distortion field."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on February 18, 2017, 06:56:06 PM
it makes it "far from the truth" for members of the opposite group, to use the earlier simplified-analogy. yeah. if an article discusses an immigration ban to members who support it and uses language consistent with that members' view, they're going to support it--they're in support of the ban. they don't truly care about those families, just like the average american pro-iraqi war didn't truly care about the iraqi families when an article occasionally mentioned how US armed forces killed civilians via collateral damage, because they're not really empathizing with those families. similarly, some (mostly anti-ban) empathize with the immigrant families, but others (mostly pro-ban) don't. a pro-ban article is going to focus less attention on the families -- sure they get a sentence or two to maintain journalistic integrity and show The Other Side's viewpoint, but then they focus on other things. you can have an article be 100% true yet still be slanted toward a particular group.

So an article can be 100% true but far from the truth.

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on February 18, 2017, 06:58:14 PM
an engineer would give jobs an idea, jobs would tell the engineer it was a terrible idea, and then he would return a week later and tell the engineer to implement a new idea of his: the idea the engineer had given him. this happened frequently. this was part of jobs' unusual mentality that resulted in people coining things like "reality distortion field."

The term was coined by Job's co-founder at Apple, Bud Tribble.  Steve Jobs didn't dismiss Tribble's ideas and then steal them, so I think you are probably making up that part of the origin of the term.

This stuff isn't hard to look up. Why don't you post easily-found truths rather than easily-coined lies?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2017, 07:02:42 PM
Is English your first language Dakota?

yes. we've been talking around each other.

CountDeMoney

Marti doesn't use caps to throw off suspicions.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on February 18, 2017, 07:08:48 PM

I haven't been talking around anything.  I'm still at the same place i was, talking about the media being "far from the truth."

LaCroix

Quote from: grumbler on February 18, 2017, 07:06:41 PMThe term was coined by Job's co-founder at Apple, Bud Tribble.  Steve Jobs didn't dismiss Tribble's ideas and then steal them, so I think you are probably making up that part of the origin of the term.

This stuff isn't hard to look up. Why don't you post easily-found truths rather than easily-coined lies?

yes, and what people referred to was part of jobs's mentality/complex/defense mechanism/whatever you want to call it of twisting reality and truly believing in his own made up version of the truth, if (for example) to temporarily to sell an idea via reality distortion effect. deep down, that wasn't anything different than him refusing to believe his daughter was actually his

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2017, 07:12:32 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on February 18, 2017, 07:08:48 PM

I haven't been talking around anything.  I'm still at the same place i was, talking about the media being "far from the truth."

that's how you defined "far from the truth"? I said "trump is the worst thing ever" + "everyone hates him" = "far from the truth." ie those views are far from the truth for a segment of the population.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on February 18, 2017, 07:17:07 PM
that's how you defined "far from the truth"? I said "trump is the worst thing ever" + "everyone hates him" = "far from the truth." ie those views are far from the truth for a segment of the population.

Everyone hates him is a purely empirical question.  The only way FAKE MEDIA could be "far from the truth" about this is if they were reporting false survey results.

"Trump is the worst thing ever" is a question of values.  The fact that FAKE MEDIA hold different values than Trump supporters does not mean they are "far from the truth." 

LaCroix

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on February 18, 2017, 07:47:45 PM
but it means they're biased

Then first you need to concede your original "far from the truth" post was dog poo. 

And there's nothing in my post that could be used as support for the claim they're biased, so unless "it" refers to something completely unrelated to our discussion, no, "it" does not mean they're biased.