And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

LaCroix

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2017, 09:28:50 AMSummary of summary: All people have biases. People who go into self-expressive fields (art, music, writing (thus the press), theoretical sciences, etc) tend to be left-leaning.  Those who go into rules-based fields (law enforcement, military, to some extent politics themselves) tend to be right-leaning.  There is a natural tension between these groups, and this is good.

You are correct to note that bias impacts the choice of what to cover as well as how it is covered, and that sensationalism matters.  The degree to which sensationalism matters, though varies quite widely.  The NYT has a pretty stiff policy against sensationalism, for instance, while the tabloids are based on it.

I wouldn't call it "rules-based" fields. what you're probably thinking of is public order-based, not "rules." lawyers in general lean left. the right-leaning ones go to the state's attorney offices

crazy canuck

Quote from: LaCroix on February 19, 2017, 02:35:55 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2017, 09:28:50 AMSummary of summary: All people have biases. People who go into self-expressive fields (art, music, writing (thus the press), theoretical sciences, etc) tend to be left-leaning.  Those who go into rules-based fields (law enforcement, military, to some extent politics themselves) tend to be right-leaning.  There is a natural tension between these groups, and this is good.

You are correct to note that bias impacts the choice of what to cover as well as how it is covered, and that sensationalism matters.  The degree to which sensationalism matters, though varies quite widely.  The NYT has a pretty stiff policy against sensationalism, for instance, while the tabloids are based on it.

I wouldn't call it "rules-based" fields. what you're probably thinking of is public order-based, not "rules." lawyers in general lean left. the right-leaning ones go to the state's attorney offices

Most lawyers would feel very uncomfortable in an environment where they had to follow the rules unquestionably.  We spend most of our time doing the exact opposite - questioning laws on behalf of our clients (judicial review and constitutional cases); moving the law in the direction of our client's interests (most forms of civil litigation and human rights laws); and of course criminal defense work where it is all about challenging the system.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2017, 03:34:41 PM
Most lawyers would feel very uncomfortable in an environment where they had to follow the rules unquestionably.  We spend most of our time doing the exact opposite - questioning laws on behalf of our clients (judicial review and constitutional cases); moving the law in the direction of our client's interests (most forms of civil litigation and human rights laws); and of course criminal defense work where it is all about challenging the system.

That's my interpretation of the lawyers I know, as well; they tend to think of themselves as creative.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: LaCroix on February 19, 2017, 02:35:55 PM

Most lawyers aren't in law enforcement.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on February 19, 2017, 08:58:00 AM
So, no one any clear about what it was about? :unsure:

Apparently, it's been pieced together that Sweden and immigration issues with Middle Eastern arrivals had been obliquely mentioned the night before FOX News during a discussion on terrorism issues.

So that's how that "Sweden" and "last night" got all mixed in with his 3.4-second attention span. 

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2017, 04:23:04 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 19, 2017, 08:58:00 AM
So, no one any clear about what it was about? :unsure:

Apparently, it's been pieced together that Sweden and immigration issues with Middle Eastern arrivals had been obliquely mentioned the night before FOX News during a discussion on terrorism issues.

So that's how that "Sweden" and "last night" got all mixed in with his 3.4-second attention span. 

I heard that Bowling Green might be located in Sweden.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2017, 05:02:05 PM
I heard that Bowling Green might be located in Sweden.

I wish I'd been the one who said that.  :(
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Its been bouncing around FB.

Apparently Chelsea Clinton even got in on it - some twitter comment from her speculating that they might have caught the BG perps in Sweden.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

Quote from: Berkut on February 19, 2017, 05:30:17 PM
Its been bouncing around FB.

Apparently Chelsea Clinton even got in on it - some twitter comment from her speculating that they might have caught the BG perps in Sweden.
About time, our long national nightmare is over. 
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

I thought the Bowling Green massacre happened every time their athletic teams took the field.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Read in NYT that 46% favor impeachment, 46% opposed.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2017, 06:55:38 PM
Read in NYT that 46% favor impeachment, 46% opposed.

FAKE NEWS - did not say "Failing NYT!" Sad.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Trump to Interview 4 Candidates for National Security Adviser
By PETER BAKER and MAGGIE HABERMAN
The Failing New York Time
FEB. 18, 2017

MELBOURNE, Fla. — President Trump will interview four candidates on Sunday to replace his dismissed national security adviser, three of them military veterans, but one of America's most prominent retired generals, whose name had been floated, is not in the running.

A White House spokesman said on Saturday that Mr. Trump would speak with Lt. Gen. H. R. McMaster, a prominent military strategist; Lt. Gen. Robert L. Caslen Jr., the superintendent of the United States Military Academy at West Point; and Keith Kellogg, a retired lieutenant general already serving as acting national security adviser.

Mr. Trump, who is spending the weekend in Florida, will also interview John R. Bolton, who served as President George W. Bush's ambassador to the United Nations and has previously been considered for deputy secretary of state. Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary, told reporters that "potentially others" might also be considered but that David H. Petraeus, the retired general and former C.I.A. director, was not a candidate.

Let's see...Keith Kellogg, Silver Stars  from Vietnam, already in the job...
Robert Caslen, career war planner with a ribbon board the size of a billboard...
H.R. McMaster, Petreus Yoda and author of the required reading Dereliction of Duty...

and...John Bolton.

My money is on Bolton.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".