What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

QuoteAnybody have an opinion on the Senate censuring Sen. Warren?

Didn't Bernie Sanders just read the letter she was going to read anyway?

I don't know, the Senate has all sorts of weird rules. If the intent was to shut up Warren I think that backfired pretty badly.

As a Texan I am glad it is South Carolina who has a record of physical assaults in the Senate. Because that totally sounds like something Texas would do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Pocahontas broke a rule.  That's my take.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: citizen k on February 08, 2017, 04:38:11 PM
Anybody have an opinion on the Senate censuring Sen. Warren?

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/02/a-brief-history-of-the-senate-rule-that-silenced-elizabeth-warren/516042/

Seems pretty dumb, especially since they let other Democrats read the letter after they silenced Warren. All in all, seems like a minor detail though.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/02/a-brief-history-of-the-senate-rule-that-silenced-elizabeth-warren/516042/

Improper use of the rule.  Because Warren was commenting on Sessions not as a Senate colleague, but as a nominee for Executive Office. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 08, 2017, 04:57:47 PM

Improper use of the rule.  Because Warren was commenting on Sessions not as a Senate colleague, but as a nominee for Executive Office.

Slightly related question. Does Sessions have to give up his Senate seat after he becomes AG?

citizen k

Quote from: celedhring on February 08, 2017, 05:02:17 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 08, 2017, 04:57:47 PM

Slightly related question. Does Sessions have to give up his Senate seat after he becomes AG?

Yes, they're moving his office furniture as we speak.

The Minsky Moment

Yes we don't have this Frenchified stuff where e.g. mayors sit in the Assembly and run for President all at the same time.  One branch of government at a time.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

IMO it is a real no-no by McConnell.  Because there is supposed to be reasonably unfettered debate on executive nominees - gag rules are inappropriate.  McConnell is basically saying if you happen to be sitting in the Senate when you get the nomination, special rules apply and the Senate has to treat the nominee with kid gloves.  Ridiculous double standard.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 08, 2017, 05:05:38 PM

Yes we don't have this Frenchified stuff where e.g. mayors sit in the Assembly and run for President all at the same time.  One branch of government at a time.

Well, our president has constitutionally to be a sitting member of parliament, but that goes with the "the legislative elects the executive" model.

Of course, this enables politicians to collect offices like candy. I.e. pretty common for mayors to sit in parliament, or for lawmakers to sit both at a regional and the national parliament at the same time.  :bleeding:

citizen k

Gorsuch:"Trump's attack on judges demoralizing."

Malthus

I was listening to a podcast about the life of  Marcus Aurelius, when they quoted from his Meditations the following, which I thought pertinent to the Trump Presidency:

QuoteThe object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius