Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on January 06, 2017, 04:10:37 PM
"PresidentialTrump"

https://twitter.com/MatureTrumpTwts

You know it was kind of funny to read at first, but after a half dozen tweets you realize how Boring! typical politician speak can be.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 06, 2017, 04:33:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 05, 2017, 11:41:13 PM
what do we do.

Circumvent.

Yep. This has always been my stand.

We have to fund things like PP ourselves. Republicans like that sort of thing right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on January 06, 2017, 04:41:19 PM
You know it was kind of funny to read at first, but after a half dozen tweets you realize how Boring! typical politician speak can be.

Agreed.  Kids say the funniest things.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on January 06, 2017, 04:24:29 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 06, 2017, 12:52:20 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 06, 2017, 12:39:54 PM
They really ARE anxious to pretend the 8 years with a N-word President never happened.

If the GOP hardliners really are willing to eat a $1 trillion deficit in order to take the ACA off the map, then it's not really about the government subsidies and fiscal responsibility for the debt, now is it?

I can't speak for the GOP leadership, but the cost of Obamacare was only part of the reason for my opposition to it.

Nobody fucking asked you.

grumbler

I can't speak for the GOP leadership, but the cost of Obamacare was only part of the reason for my opposition to it.

That's fair enough.  The cost of Trumpcare is only part of the reason I think it is such a huge disaster.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on January 06, 2017, 06:17:29 PM

That's fair enough.  The cost of Trumpcare is only part of the reason I think it is such a huge disaster.

You cannot discount the importance of opposition for the purpose of making sure the black non-American guy fails. So critical!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: Berkut on January 07, 2017, 12:29:16 PM

You cannot discount the importance of opposition for the purpose of making sure the black non-American guy fails. So critical!

The fact that President Obama is black has nothing to do with my opposition to Obamacare, and I always was dismissive of that birther nonsense.

Berkut

Quote from: dps on January 08, 2017, 01:38:23 AM

The fact that President Obama is black has nothing to do with my opposition to Obamacare, and I always was dismissive of that birther nonsense.

Perhaps you are the exception. I am sure there is some good reason to oppose Obamacare otherwise, while at the same time having no problem with the nearly identical Romneycare.

And I am sure there is some good reason to oppose Obamacare on the grounds that it is bad law, while at the same time categorically refusing to work with the Dems to improve it, and in fact actually pass legislation designed to sabotage it, all for reason that have nothing to do with just be obstructionist because, you know, OBAMA!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: Berkut on January 08, 2017, 09:41:10 AM
Quote from: dps on January 08, 2017, 01:38:23 AM

Perhaps you are the exception. I am sure there is some good reason to oppose Obamacare otherwise, while at the same time having no problem with the nearly identical Romneycare.

And I am sure there is some good reason to oppose Obamacare on the grounds that it is bad law, while at the same time categorically refusing to work with the Dems to improve it, and in fact actually pass legislation designed to sabotage it, all for reason that have nothing to do with just be obstructionist because, you know, OBAMA!

If you've read my posts on the subject in the past, you know I'm opposed to any government health insurance plan.  Heck, I'm opposed to private health insurance.  I say, let everyone pay out of their own pocket, and that'll go a huge way towards controlling health care costs.

That said, nobody much seems to agree with ne, and if the consensus is that we need some form of national health insurance, then single payer is probably the way to go.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: dps on January 08, 2017, 11:12:45 AM
If you've read my posts on the subject in the past, you know I'm opposed to any government health insurance plan.  Heck, I'm opposed to private health insurance.  I say, let everyone pay out of their own pocket, and that'll go a huge way towards controlling health care costs.

That said, nobody much seems to agree with ne, and if the consensus is that we need some form of national health insurance, then single payer is probably the way to go.

That just doesn't make sense.  Healthcare is the one life-essential service that requires multiple people to provide adequate service.  Even if everything unnecessary in life was stripped away and/or demonetized, there's no way that healthcare wouldn't remain the most expensive line item for people.  The whole reason we have insurance is to (theoretically) distribute the massive cost of providing healthcare.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Ah, yet another person who yearns for the early simplicity of, say, the Bronze Age.

Yeah...I supposed costs are controlled when most people can't afford something.  :lol:  But then how come we're not all driving 700-series BMWs?

DGuller

:wacko: I think you would've been better off just pretending that Berkut was correct. 

Do you think that cancer treatment or heart bypass surgery will get much more affordable once health insurance goes away?  Or should poor people be just pissing off and dying if they're not hard-working enough to be able to afford to treat their cancer?

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on January 08, 2017, 11:49:26 AM

:wacko: I think you would've been better off just pretending that Berkut was correct. 

Do you think that cancer treatment or heart bypass surgery will get much more affordable once health insurance goes away?  Or should poor people be just pissing off and dying if they're not hard-working enough to be able to afford to treat their cancer?

Maybe he is upset by overpopulation?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 08, 2017, 11:21:34 AM

That just doesn't make sense.  Healthcare is the one life-essential service that requires multiple people to provide adequate service.  Even if everything unnecessary in life was stripped away and/or demonetized, there's no way that healthcare wouldn't remain the most expensive line item for people.  The whole reason we have insurance is to (theoretically) distribute the massive cost of providing healthcare.

Health care, even with all the maintenance drugs my wife and I are on, wasn't the most expensive item in our household budget before Obamacare (housing was).  I've posted this before, but pre-Obamacare, we didn't have health insurance at all (by our own choice) and we paid about $2400 a year for our healthcare.  Last year, we paid about $3000 a year in insurance premiums (that's going up this year, though less than what I feared it would), but in order to keep our premiums that low, we had to choose a plan that has such a high deductible that it doesn't end up actually paying for anything.  So now we're paying about $5400 ($3000 in premiums plus $2400 in out-of-pocket costs) for the same health care we were paying $2400 for.  And from talking to co-workers and other people who have similar incomes to us, this isn't an uncommon situation.

And yes, I do think that health care costs would come down if everyone paid out-of-pocket.  I can't prove it, but I have plenty of anecdotal evidence that doctors would charge their patients a lot less if they didn't expect insurance to cover the bulk of their charges.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien