News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Makes sense. It's a very Ronald Reagan thing to do. Cut taxes to the rich, and drive up the federal debt.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Minsky Moment

The article is not a model of clarity, but it seems like it is saying that Senate Republicans are considering proposing a fake "budget" in order to get around Senate rules that would otherwise delay their assault on ACA.  I.e. they are contemplated a "budget" where all the items are arbitrary except for the ACA repeal.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

They really ARE anxious to pretend the 8 years with a N-word President never happened.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on January 06, 2017, 12:39:54 PM
They really ARE anxious to pretend the 8 years with a N-word President never happened.

If the GOP hardliners really are willing to eat a $1 trillion deficit in order to take the ACA off the map, then it's not really about the government subsidies and fiscal responsibility for the debt, now is it?

Razgovory

I saw the other night some right winger chortling how this was the ultimate "humiliation" of Obama.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 06, 2017, 11:49:43 AM
The article is not a model of clarity, but it seems like it is saying that Senate Republicans are considering proposing a fake "budget" in order to get around Senate rules that would otherwise delay their assault on ACA.  I.e. they are contemplated a "budget" where all the items are arbitrary except for the ACA repeal.

So it is a bogus budget just for parliamentary rules shenanigans?

Not sure whether to be concerned about this or not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 06, 2017, 03:39:46 PM
<chortle>

What? I mean if it in actuality has nothing to do with the actual budget and is just there for some sort of nonsense procedural deal then that would be a difference yes?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2017, 03:45:23 PM
What? I mean if it in actuality has nothing to do with the actual budget and is just there for some sort of nonsense procedural deal then that would be a difference yes?

See Razzberry's post.  :secret:

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2017, 03:54:50 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2017, 03:45:23 PM

See Razzberry's post.  :secret:

Ah.

See you really need to quote the post you are responding to if it is not the one directly above it  :mad:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 06, 2017, 12:52:20 PM

If the GOP hardliners really are willing to eat a $1 trillion deficit in order to take the ACA off the map, then it's not really about the government subsidies and fiscal responsibility for the debt, now is it?

I can't speak for the GOP leadership, but the cost of Obamacare was only part of the reason for my opposition to it. 

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers