And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Dunno why you guys are so focused on harmless folks like Ed and me when your ire should be directed at the person who jinxed you.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on December 16, 2016, 01:59:43 PM
Dunno why you guys are so focused on harmless folks like Ed and me when your ire should be directed at the person who jinxed you.

I'm not focusing any ire on you, I'm wondering where you actually stand behind the trolling and fluff.

Valmy

I personally blame Hillary for being a shitty leader of our cause, and letting the lunatics gain the keys to the asylum. But she is gone forever now. But one day an Autobot shall rise from our ranks and use the power of the Matrix to light our darkest hour.

Oh wait there is no Matrix? Fuck.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2016, 02:03:44 PM

I'm not focusing any ire on you, I'm wondering where you actually stand behind the trolling and fluff.

The difference between me and Jake is that I am not wondering - I think it is pretty damn obvious where he stands behind the "trolling".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

There will be plenty of time to mock Spicey after Trump dismembers his party and politically destroys all of its leaders.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2016, 02:15:22 PM
There will be plenty of time to mock Spicey after Trump dismembers his party and politically destroys all of its leaders.

I don't think it will matter. He won't change his tune, I don't think.

I mean Trump is already *exactly* lining up with everything his worst opponents were afraid of, and we don't see ANY movement at all. Not even a nudge. Trump is still fine, there is nothing to see here except hysterical lefties, lets post some more alt-right memes.

Thats the problem with embracing someone who has done 100 things that would and should have disqualified anyone from running. There isn't really a set of new things they are going to do that is materially different than the horrible things they have already done. He assigns an utter moron like Perry to head up Energy? You can't break with Trump over that - you KNEW he was going to do it!

He stands up and admits that he lied about prosecuting Hillary? Nope, he lies about everything, so how can THAT be the determining factor? He claims that he is so smart he doesn't need intel briefings? So what? He has been saying he knows more than the generals and everyone else all along. Can't break with him on that *unless you are willing to admit you were a fool all along*.

0 rows returned

LaCroix

Quote from: Berkut on December 16, 2016, 02:27:44 PM

I mean Trump is already *exactly* lining up with everything his worst opponents were afraid of, and we don't see ANY movement at all. Not even a nudge. Trump is still fine, there is nothing to see here except hysterical lefties, lets post some more alt-right memes.

Thats the problem with embracing someone who has done 100 things that would and should have disqualified anyone from running. There isn't really a set of new things they are going to do that is materially different than the horrible things they have already done. He assigns an utter moron like Perry to head up Energy? You can't break with Trump over that - you KNEW he was going to do it!

He stands up and admits that he lied about prosecuting Hillary? Nope, he lies about everything, so how can THAT be the determining factor? He claims that he is so smart he doesn't need intel briefings? So what? He has been saying he knows more than the generals and everyone else all along. Can't break with him on that *unless you are willing to admit you were a fool all along*.

at this point, it seems more that some people who envisioned the worst in trump are interpreting  things in ways that support their view, regardless of whether it's actually true

Jacob

I'm not looking to mock Spicy. I'm wondering what - if anything - would move him over to be significantly concerned about Trump. Since Spicy voted for Johnson instead of Trump, clearly he has some reservations about the president elect. I'm wondering what has to happen for those reservations to turn into concern extreme enough that Hillary clearly becomes the lesser of two evils in retrospect.

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on December 16, 2016, 02:32:09 PM

at this point, it seems more that some people who envisioned the worst in trump are interpreting  things in ways that support their view, regardless of whether it's actually true

It is more like there's no need to waste time 'discussing' that with you as you are ready to parrot that statement probably until the end of a Trump presidency.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

I think you have to go exactly the opposite to interpret his actions as anything other than lining up nicely with what we feared about him.

I could not imagine how he could have done anything much worse than what he HAS done so far - which has come as no surprise.

0 rows returned

Jacob

That is exactly the scenario I'm examining, but from the other side.

We have the opinion that the anti-Trump reaction is overwrought. Okay, maybe it is - so, LaCroix I'm interested in hearing it from you as you're pretty phlegmatic about Trump as well. What line would Trump have to cross for you to join the "holy fuck, this is terrible" crowd? I mean, I'm equally interested in what range of behaviour you expect Trump to engage in that you'd rate as "not so bad" (or even "good" because I don't expect he'll take a consistent line), but that will take longer to enumerate so identifying the line is good enough for me.

Personally I'm moving back and forth between a pragmatic "how bad could it be, really" and worrying that all the doom-saying is accurate enough; getting a perspective from the calmer crowd on when to really start worrying is worthwhile IMO.

LaCroix

how likely is it people on the fence will begin to fear trump before he's had a chance to do anything in office? probably will take until January at least to see what trump does and whether there's anything to be concerned about

@garbon, unlikely. if trump really is that bad, he should make it obvious pretty quickly once he's in power

Jacob

Quote from: LaCroix on December 16, 2016, 02:41:08 PM
how likely is it people on the fence will begin to fear trump before he's had a chance to do anything in office? probably will take until January at least to see what trump does and whether there's anything to be concerned about

@garbon, unlikely. if trump really is that bad, he should make it obvious pretty quickly once he's in power

What are the signs we should look out for? What are the signs that would push you off the fence?