News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on December 16, 2016, 07:04:08 AM
Besides, I am afraid Trump needs to stay in power so he has a chance to crash and burn, hopefully just personally, and not bringing the whole world down in the process. Otherwise clones of him will dominate politics for decades to come.

Best case scenario is Trump and his family and all the oligarchs, whose love he needs so much and wishes he could be, just take us all to the cleaners the way his fave-rave Putin took Russia to the cleaners.

Actually, I can envision a global pushback against America as the anti-science global climate denial and fossil fuel baddie of the Western world, a la the Freeze movement of the late '70s and early '80s.

Tamas

I do agree that is the best case scenario, but the ship has sailed on preventing that. The goal should be to keep it at the level of the oligarchs bribing Trump for state-supported highway robbery of the economy. You have a strong country it will recover. But your system of government must be preserved.

frunk

Quote from: Tamas on December 16, 2016, 07:04:08 AM
Besides, I am afraid Trump needs to stay in power so he has a chance to crash and burn, hopefully just personally, and not bringing the whole world down in the process. Otherwise clones of him will dominate politics for decades to come.

Who will report to the faithful that it was Trump's policies failing and not "cynical liberal businessmen sabotaging Trump's efforts" or "SJW activists plotting with illegal immigrants to destroy America"?  Reality is no longer that important for many Trump supporters, and Trump loves blaming other people for, well, everything.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on December 16, 2016, 07:22:05 AM
I do agree that is the best case scenario, but the ship has sailed on preventing that. The goal should be to keep it at the level of the oligarchs bribing Trump for state-supported highway robbery of the economy. You have a strong country it will recover. But your system of government must be preserved.

You guys, however, are shit out of luck.  Enjoy welcoming your new Russian overlords in the post-NATO world.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on December 16, 2016, 05:41:34 AM
You can't fucking win a race to the fascist bottom. So what if the Democrats follow suit and radicalise? You want to see a radicalised formely center-left big party? Look at Corbyn in the UK.

The only way you avoid becoming a fascist isolationist state on the long run, if you keep the modern democratic society on the table as an alternative.

The thing with a democratic system is that it is extremely fragile. The only reason it works is that its actors want it to work. You cannot join in with Republicans in undermining it.

Moral reasons aside, that would be just political suicide: if people lose faith in the democratic institutions, they start looking for a strong guy to end the chaos and they will NOT be looking at the radical left in America.
The big question is, how do you keep a modern democratic society on the table?  So far the way dynamic works is that heads Republicans win and roll democracy back, or tails and Democrats tread water until we go to previous outcome.  Do we just wait for Republican politicians and Republican voters to snap out of authoritarian trance and come to Jesus, and just keep taking the lumps in the meantime?  Maybe that's seriously the least worst option, who knows, but it's a very shitty option in either case.

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 16, 2016, 06:35:29 AM
I agree with Tamas.

Bloomberg's predictions for 2017. World economic collapse. NATO and European Union dissolve. Open cyberwar between great powers. War between Saudi Arabia and Iran.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/pessimists-guide-to-2017/

Why are you so dishonest. Writing Bloomberg's predictions about a link that points out it isn't making predictions...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on December 16, 2016, 09:59:41 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 16, 2016, 06:35:29 AM
I agree with Tamas.

Bloomberg's predictions for 2017. World economic collapse. NATO and European Union dissolve. Open cyberwar between great powers. War between Saudi Arabia and Iran.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/pessimists-guide-to-2017/

Why are you so dishonest. Writing Bloomberg's predictions about a link that points out it isn't making predictions...

It's Bloomberg that's in denial. They're predictions, they're just throwing in caveats so they can't be called on the ones that turn out wrong. Whatever they get right, they'll crow about.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 16, 2016, 07:34:01 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 16, 2016, 07:22:05 AM

You guys, however, are shit out of luck.  Enjoy welcoming your new Russian overlords in the post-NATO world.
He's in the UK.  By the time the Red Hordes arrive in Hungary, he can have British citizenship and apply to have his family join him.  Unless UKIP wins the election, then he's fucked as they'll deport him back to Hungary :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on December 16, 2016, 09:29:47 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 16, 2016, 05:41:34 AM
You can't fucking win a race to the fascist bottom. So what if the Democrats follow suit and radicalise? You want to see a radicalised formely center-left big party? Look at Corbyn in the UK.

The only way you avoid becoming a fascist isolationist state on the long run, if you keep the modern democratic society on the table as an alternative.

The thing with a democratic system is that it is extremely fragile. The only reason it works is that its actors want it to work. You cannot join in with Republicans in undermining it.

Moral reasons aside, that would be just political suicide: if people lose faith in the democratic institutions, they start looking for a strong guy to end the chaos and they will NOT be looking at the radical left in America.
The big question is, how do you keep a modern democratic society on the table?  So far the way dynamic works is that heads Republicans win and roll democracy back, or tails and Democrats tread water until we go to previous outcome.  Do we just wait for Republican politicians and Republican voters to snap out of authoritarian trance and come to Jesus, and just keep taking the lumps in the meantime?  Maybe that's seriously the least worst option, who knows, but it's a very shitty option in either case.

So what? Install the proletarian dictatorship just to be sure there is no fascist dictatorship in the future?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 16, 2016, 10:20:48 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 16, 2016, 10:11:51 AM
Such doom & gloom.

You don't see the signs?

He won't ever see the signs. He has the guy he wanted, for the reasons he wanted him. And they have nothing to do with Hillary.

Fooling people is hard. Convincing fools that they have been fooled is even harder.

Cue fat person pic in 3....2.....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on December 16, 2016, 10:51:55 AM
Lol nothing to do with Hillary.

Remember - Berkut has telepathic powers and knows what's in your heart better than you do yourself.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 16, 2016, 10:11:51 AM
Such doom & gloom. 

Well one thing I can count on: I personally will be fine. Wahoo!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."