News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2016, 10:25:17 AM
Yeah that is what I thought. They are just SO DESPERATE for good workers they can pay at a ridiculous rate but we are so damn lazy and terrible.

It's dangerous, demanding and important work that doesn't revolve around a standard work week.  Is it a ridiculous rate because you don't need a college degree?

QuoteWait you can "test" for full conductorship? The article said you are "entitled" to it :hmm:

Kinda like how you're entitled to test for sergeant--if you have a good job record and decent head on your shoulders, you're not not going to make it.

Phillip V

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 29, 2016, 09:22:16 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on November 29, 2016, 09:16:28 PM
Carrier Corp. Agrees to Keep About 1,000 Jobs at Indiana Plant

Carrier switches plan to shift some jobs to Mexico after lobbying by incoming Trump administration

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/business/trump-to-announce-carrier-plant-will-keep-jobs-in-us.html

According to WSJ conditional on some kind of tax amnesty/break on overseas profits.

WORST DEAL EVER

$700 per year per worker in tax breaks to keep the 1,000 jobs in Indiana for 10 years.  That "cost" is even less considering the additional $16 million in-state investment the company is promising.  Sounds like a good deal.   :hmm:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/indiana-gives-7-million-in-tax-breaks-to-keep-carrier-jobs-1480608461?emailToken=JRrzdvp7ZHSTgd02bsw90lEpZ68BTuCIWF7MaS%2BPP0nIsH3Sp6egweApjsvyq3miTEVhoswDqm0ySCWUi2NwRs6cgft9ll2/PiAB/smaiV3XZB0%3D

OttoVonBismarck

On the whole, liberal Republicans and Conservative Democrats are definitely rarer than ever, but I'd say moderate/liberal Republicans who can win both state legislative seats, governor's mansions, and the occasional U.S. House/U.S. Senate seat seem to be in a healthier place than conservative Dems. I'm struggling to think of a single conservative Democrat left other than Joe Manchin in West Virginia, at the Federal level.

I have to assume at least in part this is because Republicans are better at organizing at lower levels of government. Democrats seem better at things like populist fundraising, getting out their existing base (but only in Presidential election years), building huge majorities in minority communities--but unfortunately the fastest growing minorities, Hispanics and Asian Americans, are geographically clustered primarily in deep blue states and deep red Texas that they'll be unlikely to flip on their own.

He's a national disgrace now, but Chris Christie won the statehouse back in 2010 in a very liberal state. He walked an interesting tight rope, in many ways he adhered to conservative orthodoxy--he was anti-SSM (vetoed it and fought the later court decision in NJ that allowed SSM), pro-life etc, but he always tried to keep that stuff on the back burner. He didn't want to totally divorce himself from national Republican orthodoxy, but he knew that shit wasn't going to win for him in New Jersey. So he focused on things that had greater appeal, like New Jersey's nationally very high tax rates, and attacks on overpaid public-sector employees (in the case of New Jersey, unlike some states, public-sector employees protected by unions were really being paid pretty insane salaries and benefits that were paupering the state.) I feel like there has to be room for Democratic equivalents of this kind of strategy in red states.

derspiess

Okay, so I just got my text confirming my tickets for tonight's event. 

Should I: go?  :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 01, 2016, 11:48:36 AM

Absolutely. I cannot wait to hear all about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 01, 2016, 11:45:21 AM
I feel like there has to be room for Democratic equivalents of this kind of strategy in red states.

There used to be lots of those on a local level. And there still are some. But it is difficult these days.

QuoteI have to assume at least in part this is because Republicans are better at organizing at lower levels of government. Democrats seem better at things like populist fundraising, getting out their existing base (but only in Presidential election years), building huge majorities in minority communities--but unfortunately the fastest growing minorities, Hispanics and Asian Americans, are geographically clustered primarily in deep blue states and deep red Texas that they'll be unlikely to flip on their own.

They are slowly taking over North Carolina and Georgia in this fashion. It may yet work in Texas. They are slowly taking control of all the major cities. This is really their only chance for success. Trying to be two-faced and game the system has not worked for them. It also makes them the moderate establishment, which everybody hates these days. Which is why I think populist leftism is about to be resurgent, and will win them back the rust belt. I don't think the lesson they will take from this election is they need to be more moderate and conservative, that was the now discredited Clinton strategy.

As somebody who is actually moderate and "pro-establishment" that kind of sucks.

Besides plenty of guys like Paul LePage might be in blue states but they are far from moderate or left leaning.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 01, 2016, 11:36:41 AM
It's dangerous, demanding and important work that doesn't revolve around a standard work week.  Is it a ridiculous rate because you don't need a college degree?

No. I meant it is just far higher than most wages these days.

QuoteWait you can "test" for full conductorship? The article said you are "entitled" to it :hmm:

Kinda like how you're entitled to test for sergeant--if you have a good job record and decent head on your shoulders, you're not not going to make it.

Got it. Well if this electrical engineering thing doesn't work out I will keep that in mind.

I am working over 60 hours a week these days so how much worse could it be?

FunkMonk

Hell yeah
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

I would totally go to a Trump rally, and I don't even like Trump.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2016, 11:59:44 AM
No. I meant it is just far higher than most wages these days.

I know, right?  Damned unions forgetting to disappear in order to allow companies to suppress wages.

QuoteGot it. Well if this electrical engineering thing doesn't work out I will keep that in mind.

I am working over 60 hours a week these days so how much worse could it be?

You could be in a bucket above a truck, working on lines in a Cat 2 hurricane.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Phillip V on December 01, 2016, 11:41:20 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 29, 2016, 09:22:16 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on November 29, 2016, 09:16:28 PM
Carrier Corp. Agrees to Keep About 1,000 Jobs at Indiana Plant

Carrier switches plan to shift some jobs to Mexico after lobbying by incoming Trump administration

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/business/trump-to-announce-carrier-plant-will-keep-jobs-in-us.html

According to WSJ conditional on some kind of tax amnesty/break on overseas profits.

WORST DEAL EVER
m
$700 per year per worker in tax breaks to keep the 1,000 jobs in Indiana for 10 years.  That "cost" is even less considering the additional $16 million in-state investment the company is promising.  Sounds like a good deal.   :hmm:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/indiana-gives-7-million-in-tax-breaks-to-keep-carrier-jobs-1480608461?emailToken=JRrzdvp7ZHSTgd02bsw90lEpZ68BTuCIWF7MaS%2BPP0nIsH3Sp6egweApjsvyq3miTEVhoswDqm0ySCWUi2NwRs6cgft9ll2/PiAB/smaiV3XZB0%3D

The WORST DEAL EVER was a joke, Basilieus.  Reference to a certain individual's tendency to make such claims about every treaty, agreement, convention or proposal his political opponents ever got near.

As to whether the deal is good is not, the remains to be seen, as the true terms and conditions are as yet unknown, as is the nature (if any) of the binding commitment that Carrier makes. 

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2016, 12:29:54 PM

I would totally go to a Trump rally, and I don't even like Trump.

There is a reminder on the ticket that "official Donald J Trump for President Gear is ONLY available inside the venue".  So I guess I better not buy the knockoff crap outside the arena.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 01, 2016, 12:39:33 PM
As to whether the deal is good is not, the remains to be seen, as the true terms and conditions are as yet unknown, as is the nature (if any) of the binding commitment that Carrier makes.

Read a piece quoting some of the Mexican politicians in that area.  Carrier's already built the plant as part of a huge expansion there, just sitting there empty.
So somebody's going to be there, whether it's Carrier or someone else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 01, 2016, 12:43:26 PM
There is a reminder on the ticket that "official Donald J Trump for President Gear is ONLY available inside the venue".  So I guess I better not buy the knockoff crap outside the arena.

Yeah, don't get fooled with Chinese knockoffs of stuff made in China. :P

derspiess

I'll send you a MAKE AMELICA GLEAT AGAIN hat.