News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

You have to serve 30-40 years in the diplomatic service without making a mistake before you get a shot at being the UK's ambassador to the USA.

Farage is either going nuts or thinks his time has come and that many citizens will think this is a good idea  :hmm:

Legbiter

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 22, 2016, 07:22:52 AM
You have to serve 30-40 years in the diplomatic service without making a mistake before you get a shot at being the UK's ambassador to the USA.

Farage is either going nuts or thinks his time has come and that many citizens will think this is a good idea  :hmm:

They're probably just having a laugh. Just heard the BBC report on this, taking it as always with anything Trump, hyper-literally.  :showoff:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

Quote from: Legbiter on November 22, 2016, 07:30:42 AM

They're probably just having a laugh. Just heard the BBC report on this, taking it as always with anything Trump, hyper-literally.  :showoff:

I am getting tired of the "getting a laugh" narrative. That stopped being a convenient excuse for ineptitude, racism, and bigotry quite a long while ago.

Legbiter

Thankfully we have you, Tim and the others to keep us on the straight and narrow with your positive attitutes, astute observations and prescient analysis. :thumbsup:

Gups

Quote from: Legbiter on November 22, 2016, 07:30:42 AM

Could you give us some pointers, please, on which of the President Elect's communications we should take seriously and ones which are just jokes.  For us non-native speakers, it's really hard to tell.

Legbiter

Really, leave the feigned autism to the talking heads.

Tamas

Quote from: Legbiter on November 22, 2016, 07:58:30 AM
Really, leave the feigned autism to the talking heads.

To be fair, I think the "did it for the laughs" thing is not really for the "outside world", it is what the fans tell themselves. This way you and the others can filter the shit out that would make you cringe if it was any other guy, and just pretend the only serious things are the ones you prefer to be.

I remember, many years ago, before Orban's first election victory I was politely talking to a fan of his, asking if she wasn't concerned about the promises made to improve her situation, when there were so many other promises to different groups of people, which were directly opposing each other. She assured me, that Orban does not really mean THOSE promises.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on November 22, 2016, 08:02:35 AM
To be fair, I think the "did it for the laughs" thing is not really for the "outside world", it is what the fans tell themselves. This way you and the others can filter the shit out that would make you cringe if it was any other guy, and just pretend the only serious things are the ones you prefer to be.

I remember, many years ago, before Orban's first election victory I was politely talking to a fan of his, asking if she wasn't concerned about the promises made to improve her situation, when there were so many other promises to different groups of people, which were directly opposing each other. She assured me, that Orban does not really mean THOSE promises.
:yes:

Legbiter

Bernie just dropped some truth bombs.

I still can't wrap my head around the Republican party becoming the working class party via Trump while Wall Street went with the Democrats. How often does this role reversal happen per century?

garbon

It is just some bizarro perception thing. Republicans don't actually care about the working class either. No one does. Well apart from psuedo-Dems like Bernie Sanders. I guess sort of like Corbyn and Labour.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 21, 2016, 07:24:09 PM
Lol, good job Trump. I'm sure that will get them back on your side.

http://nypost.com/2016/11/21/donald-trumps-media-summit-was-a-f-ing-firing-squad/

The PR charm offensive continues!

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/trump-cancel-new-york-times-meeting-231733?cmpid=sf

QuoteTrump cancels meeting with NYT, claims 'conditions' changed

'They continue to cover me inaccurately and with a nasty tone!' he tweeted.

President-elect Donald Trump has canceled a planned meeting with reporters and editors from the New York Times, a frequent target of criticism by the Manhattan billionaire, because he was upset with a supposed change in the terms of the meeting.

"I cancelled today's meeting with the failing @nytimes when the terms and conditions of the meeting were changed at the last moment. Not nice," Trump wrote on Twitter Tuesday morning.

"Perhaps a new meeting will be set up with the @nytimes. In the meantime they continue to cover me inaccurately and with a nasty tone!" he added in a second post minutes later. He continued with a third tweet in his barrage against the newspaper, writing that "the failing @nytimes just announced that complaints about them are at a 15 year high. I can fully understand that - but why announce?

A New York Times spokeswoman said the newspaper only learned of the meeting's cancellation from Trump's twitter account Tuesday morning. She disputed Trump's claim that the Times had attempted to change the terms of its meeting with the president-elect.

"We were unaware that the meeting was cancelled until we saw the President Elect's tweet this morning. We did not change the ground rules at all and made no attempt to," Times spokeswoman Eileen Murphy said in a statement emailed to POLITICO. "They tried to yesterday - asking for only a private meeting and no on-the-record segment, which we refused to agree to. In the end, we concluded with them that we would go back to the original plan of a small off the record session and a larger on the record session with reporters and columnists."

Details of the now-canceled meeting were initially reported by the Times itself. Citing an unnamed source, the newspaper reported that Trump was expected to be accompanied on his visit to the Times by incoming chief of staff Reince Priebus, senior adviser Kellyanne Conway and his daughter, Ivanka Trump. The meeting was scheduled at the request of Trump's team, according to Murphy.

The off-the-record portion of Trump's visit to the Times was to be a meeting with chairman and publisher Arthur Sulzberger Jr. and a handful of others, while the on-record meeting would be with a larger group that would have included CEO Mark Thompson, executive editor Dean Baquet, managing editor Joe Kahn, political editor Carolyn Ryan, Washington bureau chief Elisabeth Bumiller and columnists Maureen Dowd and Ross Douthat.

Trump did not further detail in his series of posts his allegation that the Times had altered the meeting's terms.

Tuesday's flurry of Times-related Twitter activity for Trump brings to nine the number of occasions he has posted to the social media site as president-elect to complain about the newspaper's coverage of him. The Times has not shied away from reporting critically on the president-elect, including stories detailing the potentially massive conflicts of interest he could face between his business empire and the presidency.

The rocky start to Trump's transition process, which included a significant staff shakeup, was also heavily reported by the Times, as it was by other outlets. One Times story on the transition team reshuffle characterized the president-elect's early phone calls to foreign leaders as "haphazard."

The meeting would have been the second in as many days for Trump with members of the media, a group he regularly decried as "some of the most dishonest people in the world." The president-elect met with roughly 25 TV news anchors and executives on Monday, where he asked for "fairness" in their reporting and a "reset" in his relationship with the media.

But he also lashed out at those in the room he perceived as his enemies, singling out CNN and NBC in particular. He complained in particular that NBC News regularly uses unflattering photos of him, to which a producer from that network responded that it had a "very nice" picture of him on their website at that moment.

Kellyanne Conway, a senior adviser to Trump and his former campaign manager, said the meeting on Monday was "very cordial, very genial."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Legbiter on November 22, 2016, 08:15:18 AM
Bernie just dropped some truth bombs.

Bernie sure knows about winning elections.  In Vermont.  Running as an Independent.
Not sure how replicable that model is for the national Democratic Party.

Poor Bernie still seems to think that facts actually matter.  One of the candidates in the last Presidential election actually was a businessman who exploited his workers and sent job overseas.  Not metaphorically or indirectly but IRL.  And guess what - the "workers" loved him!

Back to the drawing board,
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2016, 08:37:47 AM

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/trump-cancel-new-york-times-meeting-231733?cmpid=sf

Doesn't he realizes the more he thrashes about, the more he's going to struggle?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on November 22, 2016, 09:02:09 AM

Doesn't he realizes the more he thrashes about, the more he's going to struggle?

Trump's campaign presidency is going to implode any moment now. :yes:

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 22, 2016, 09:13:41 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 22, 2016, 09:02:09 AM

Trump's campaign presidency is going to implode any moment now. :yes:

:jaron: