News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Zanza on November 18, 2016, 02:16:28 PM
I didn't expect anything positive about this from either candidate in this election. There seems to be mostly complacency about the topic in the American public, so administrations are unfettered in deepening the surveillance state.

It's not really that surprising. Giving all the details of your life to anyone who wants it has become so commonplace now people don't even think about it. We used to get pissed when the Radio Shack cashier would ask for a phone number. Now, you open a browser and give it to Firefox or Google or Facebook without even thinking.

Why should people care if the NSA knows what they had for breakfast when they themselves took a picture of the plate and put it on Instagram.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2016, 02:24:02 PM
Ok. But will he be good? I mean I know you care about shit beyond trolling LOLZ.

I think he'll do okay, and FWIW I have a feeling the office will moderate him a bit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on November 18, 2016, 02:20:47 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2016, 12:59:40 PM
LaCroix: "A Bigger Asshole Than We Thought"
I actually agree with LaCroix.  Politically, it makes sense for Trump to give Bannon a top position in his cabinet.  Ethically, it doesn't really matter since Republican voters did not care much about this issue.

But we already knew how big of an asshole you are.

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on November 18, 2016, 01:52:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2016, 01:41:52 PMI liked him as a Senator.  Agreed with him on most issues.  And it's not for nothing that he will trigger several people here :P

What issues do you think will trigger people here? I mean, I've seen some stuff going around on Facebook re: civil rights and racism but I'm not sure how much of it is manufactured outrage and how much has substance... what's your take?

Sessions is an anti - immigration true believer. Doesn't seem to care much about minority rights.

If he is really AG, and Romney Secretary of State, there is a strong indication of what parts of Trump's campaign were hot air and which will be followed through on.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

Romney as SoS would fulfill Zanza's wish of Trump not giving a fuck about foreign policy (besides grinning alongside foreign dignitaries), and giving the post to some possibly competent establishment GOPer instead.

It would also fulfill my own wish of seeing Seedy bring back his Mittens jokes.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2016, 02:51:58 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 18, 2016, 02:20:47 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2016, 12:59:40 PM
LaCroix: "A Bigger Asshole Than We Thought"
I actually agree with LaCroix.  Politically, it makes sense for Trump to give Bannon a top position in his cabinet.  Ethically, it doesn't really matter since Republican voters did not care much about this issue.

But we already knew how big of an asshole you are.
now, now, it's bad form to insult one of the few guys standing with you in that trench, defending against the cossacks hordes.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Someone previously said that Trump would do nothing and take credit for it.
It seems it has already started:
Donald Trump Takes Credit for Helping to Save a Ford Plant That Wasn't Closing

QuoteWASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump claimed credit on Thursday night for persuading Ford to keep an automaking plant in Kentucky rather than moving it to Mexico. The only wrinkle: Ford was not actually planning to move the plant.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Yes but the 3 horsemen of the Deplorable Apocolypse  announced today-- Michael "I'm entitled to my own opinions AND my own facts" Flynn, Mike "BENGHAZI FOREVAH" Pompeo, and Jeff "Bring back Operation Wetback" Sessions -  will have significant impact on foreign affairs - and not likely in a way reassuring to most US allies.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 18, 2016, 03:35:01 PM
I suspect those nicknames won't stick.

They need to have alliteration working for them. No Facts Flynn or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2016, 02:08:24 PM
Flynn, Sessions, Pompeo - very clear signal that the surveillance state will be back with a vengeance and electronic privacy on the furthest of backburners.

Yeah, I'm eating crow at home viz. my support of the surveillance state.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III.  Squee.  Mew.

dps

Quote from: Jacob on November 18, 2016, 01:52:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2016, 01:41:52 PMI liked him as a Senator.  Agreed with him on most issues.  And it's not for nothing that he will trigger several people here :P

What issues do you think will trigger people here? I mean, I've seen some stuff going around on Facebook re: civil rights and racism but I'm not sure how much of it is manufactured outrage and how much has substance... what's your take?

People who will get triggered don't care how much is manufactured and how much has substance.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2016, 04:24:14 PM
Jefferson Beauregard Sessions

Sounds like Confederate slash fiction. The Jefferson/Beauregard Sessions.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.