News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on May 11, 2017, 10:50:14 AM

A few facts. First, the United States is not "the highest-taxed nation in the world." It is one of the lowest-taxed nations in the OECD:

I want to defend Trump here, which is incredibly dubious in general and especially in an interview where he claimed to have come up with the term "prime the pump" a few days ago (how is it possible for a wharton grad to be so uneducated? Could he be playing stupid?)

I assume he was talking about corporate tax rates, which is the truth if we are talking about headline tax rates.

But even if we aren't, the chart shoes taxes as a percent of GDP among OECD countries only. I wouldn't be surprised if US government tax revenue exceeds, or nearly exceeds, every other nation's. Also, if we look at per capita taxes paid, the US would also again likely be higher on the list, though several OECD countries would exceed us. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Maladict

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2017, 12:19:22 PM
Thank God we have Maxine Waters for entertainment in these times of tumult :lol:

She's the only one with any balls to come out and say he's unfit to be President.  Glad you're having a blast, though.

CountDeMoney

Malthus

What's the betting on whether this firing will, in fact, be a "Nixon moment" or just blow over?

It just seems that, with the Republicans in control of Congress and in full coward mode, there is little that can be done.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

My expectation is that there won't be any serious unraveling until either:

1) The Democrats win the House of Representatives (or the Senate, but that's less likely).

2) Trump pulls something that is orders of magnitude more egregious than this firing.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on May 11, 2017, 12:31:12 PM
I assume he was talking about corporate tax rates, which is the truth if we are talking about headline tax rates.

But headline rates are not a fair measure of the true tax burden

QuoteBut even if we aren't, the chart shoes taxes as a percent of GDP among OECD countries only. I wouldn't be surprised if US government tax revenue exceeds, or nearly exceeds, every other nation's. Also, if we look at per capita taxes paid, the US would also again likely be higher on the list, though several OECD countries would exceed us.

Of course US total tax revenue is the highest in OECD, it has by far the highest population in the OECD. 
Percent of GDP seems to be the reasonable and fair measure of true tax burden. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2017, 01:35:42 PM
What's the betting on whether this firing will, in fact, be a "Nixon moment" or just blow over?

It just seems that, with the Republicans in control of Congress and in full coward mode, there is little that can be done.

Depends on what happens to the next FBI director as the investigation continues.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 11, 2017, 02:34:48 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2017, 01:35:42 PM

Depends on what happens to the next FBI director as the investigation continues.

I've heard it suggested that Trump may just not bother appointing a new FBI director
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on May 11, 2017, 02:44:42 PM
I've heard it suggested that Trump may just not bother appointing a new FBI director

That was an Onion article you know.  :P

There's always an acting/interim.  The investigation doesn't shut down because of one firing.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 11, 2017, 11:09:09 AM
We will survive. Trudeau & Macron will save us. (Americans are fucked)
your daughter will live in absolute poverty, crushed by the taxes inherited by Trudeau's era and the following economic meltdown.  She will end up moving to Iceland or Ireland to live a productive life and sustain your private retirement home payments.

But by all means, dance all you can.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

saskganesh

Not that I know how this will all finish, but the Firing of Comey feels like an end game move.
humans were created in their own image

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 11, 2017, 02:47:12 PM
The investigation doesn't shut down because of one firing.
no, but it slows down considerably during transition as there is no leader to direct/assign/coordinate resources.

And it is quite possible the new lead of the FBI decides it is not money well spent and shuts it down.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on May 11, 2017, 01:37:57 PM
My expectation is that there won't be any serious unraveling until either:

1) The Democrats win the House of Representatives (or the Senate, but that's less likely).

2) Trump pulls something that is orders of magnitude more egregious than this firing.
Democrats will be found guilty of leaking classified info via email and arrested for treason 1 week before the election. ;)