What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2017, 11:02:08 AM
:rolleyes: Pretty sure he means the Hubert Humphrey wing of the Democratic Party. Or even better the Henry Wallace wing.
I'm pretty sure he's just trying to deflect in a very classic Russian way:  with non sequitur to quoque argument.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

The right wing is learning a lot from the Russians, even the Soviets - at least tactically.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

Quote from: HVC on March 22, 2017, 08:31:12 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2017, 07:46:42 PM
Get bent.

So your guy is a Russian plant, no need to get testy.

If Gary Johnson is subject to any foreign influence, it's from Jamaica.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2017, 10:13:35 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 22, 2017, 08:31:12 PM
Get bent.

So your guy is a Russian plant, no need to get testy.

If Gary Johnson is subject to any foreign influence, it's from Jamaica.

I didn't say they guy you voted for :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/22/trump-russia-investigation-committee-white-house

QuoteTrump-Russia inquiry in 'grave doubt' after GOP chair briefs White House

The top Democrat on one of the congressional committees investigating ties between Donald Trump and Russia has raised "grave doubt" over the viability of the inquiry after its Republican chairman shared information with the White House and not their committee colleagues.

In the latest wild development surrounding the Russia inquiry that has created an air of scandal around Trump, Democrat Adam Schiff effectively called his GOP counterpart, Devin Nunes, a proxy for the White House, questioning his conduct.

"These actions raise enormous doubt about whether the committee can do its work," Schiff said late Wednesday afternoon after speaking with Nunes, his fellow Californian, before telling MSNBC that evidence tying Trump to Russia now appeared "more than circumstantial".

Two days after testimony from the directors of the FBI and NSA that dismissed any factual basis to Trump's 4 March claim that Barack Obama had him placed under surveillance, Nunes publicly stated he was "alarmed" to learn that the intelligence agencies may have "incidentally" collected communications from Trump and his associates.

Nunes, who served on Trump's national security transition team, said the surveillance "appears to be all legally collected" and masked the identities of Americans, but did so in such a way that Nunes could hazard a guess as to whom the intercepted communications discussed. Nunes added that the alleged intercepts did not actually concern Russia.

"Details about persons associated with the incoming administration, details with little apparent foreign intelligence value were widely disseminated in intelligence community reporting," said Nunes, who has shifted the focus of the inquiry onto leaks that Trump blames on the intelligence agencies.

Nunes went to the White House to brief the president, who seized on the chairman's comments as vindication, even though there is little evidence even in Nunes's vague and often conditional remarks that they revive Trump's claim that Obama had Trump Tower wiretapped.

"I somewhat do. I must tell you I somewhat do. I very much appreciated the fact that they found what they found, I somewhat do," Trump said Wednesday afternoon.

Nunes took whatever material he had acquired to Trump before sharing it with the committee – a decision that represented nearly a final straw for Schiff, who called for an independent commission to investigate ties between Trump and Russia.

In language that stripped away any pretense of cordiality remaining on the committee, Schiff said Nunes would have to decide whether to helm a credible inquiry or whether to operate as a White House adjunct, complicit in what Schiff intimated was a "campaign by the White House to deflect from the [FBI] director's testimony".

Asked if Schiff was considering pulling out of the inquiry, Schiff said he would have to "analyze what this development means", suggesting a potential Democratic departure from one of the most internationally watched congressional investigations in recent history.

"If you have a chairman who is interacting with the White House, sharing information with the White House, when the people around the White House are the subject of the investigation and doing it before sharing it with the committee, it puts a profound doubt over whether that can be done credibly," Schiff said.

Schiff reiterated that from what he had gleaned from his conversation with Nunes, "there is still no evidence that the president was wiretapped by his predecessor".

Without receiving the actual intercept, Schiff said, it was "impossible" to evaluate the merits of Nunes's claims.

Republicans in the House and Senate continue to resist Democratic demands for an independent commission modeled on the one comprised of retired eminences from both parties that investigated the 9/11 attacks. Schiff said he would raise the issue again with House speaker Paul Ryan, a Republican.

Incidental collection occurs when a communications intercept aimed at a foreign spy or proxy captures either an American in conversation with that foreign operative or discusses information about an American. An inevitability in an age of mass surveillance, and frequent even in targeted surveillance, the NSA has procedures in place to mask Americans' identity, but Edward Snowden's revelations have raised grave doubts about their robustness.

Given Nunes's concerns about leaks of classified information, some questioned whether Nunes himself had confirmed the existence of a classified intercept under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

"Representative Nunes's statements would appear to reveal classified information, which is a serious concern. With regard to the substance of his claims, I have no idea what he is talking about," said Senator Ron Wyden, a Democrat on the Senate intelligence committee, which is also investigating the Trump-Russia question.

The House committee is schedule to meet on 28 March to hear testimony on the Trump-Russia allegations from former director of national intelligence James Clapper and former CIA director John Brennan.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zoupa

Get bent.

Uh-oh, does spicy need a big boy nap? Need a safe space for a little bit?

There there.

jimmy olsen

How's that charm offensive going Donald?

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point