What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2017, 01:14:56 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2017, 01:13:01 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2017, 10:45:24 AM
Sorry, you must be confusing me with Cold War era Democrats.

I didn't like the Democrats back then either. Do you really want to emulate them?

:huh:

You just said you were doing the same thing as Cold War Democrats as if that justified something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2017, 10:03:11 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 22, 2017, 09:44:25 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2017, 09:31:38 AM
Well would you look at that.

http://resistancereport.com/world/man-thrown-fourth-floor/
QuoteKey witness in Preet Bharara's Russian probe just fell from fourth floor of building

The "Resistance Report"?  Jesus Christ.

are the thingies around the fist that which must be resisted?

Admiral Yi

Crazy_Ivan80

derspiess

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 22, 2017, 02:08:45 PM
are the thingies around the fist that which must be resisted?

Yes.  Especially the New Mexico flag emblem.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2017, 01:33:29 PM
You just said you were doing the same thing as Cold War Democrats as if that justified something.

I did not say I was doing anything.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2017, 02:12:04 PM
The Buddhist Palm is irresistible.

The palm is Jain, I expect. The wheel is Buddhist.

... at least going by CKII.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on March 22, 2017, 02:24:41 PM
The palm is Jain, I expect. The wheel is Buddhist.

... at least going by CKII.

Thanks for shitting on my Kung Fu Hustle reference. :cheers:

Interesting that spell check doesn't like kung fu.

CountDeMoney

If you rotate the wheel 45 degrees, then it represents Long John Silvers.

derspiess

One of my drinking buddies is a Jain.  She doesn't eat meat, but she loves her some stout.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2017, 02:12:04 PM
The Buddhist Palm is irresistible.

I wondered what the hell half those symbols are, so I googled.  The palm is from Jainism.  The wheel is buddhist.

Starting at the top and working clockwise, the symbols are for islam, native american, hindu, judaism, christianity, jainism, bahai, sikhism, shinto, biddhism.

What those world religions have to do with a rainbow flag, and with "resistance", is beyond me.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

See Jain.
See Jain drink.
See Jain vomit.
Oh, Jain!

CountDeMoney

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2017, 02:26:37 PM
Thanks for shitting on my Kung Fu Hustle reference. :cheers:

Great movie.

Didn't catch the reference :(

jimmy olsen

Trump can't actually make a deal? Who could have expected this!?

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/22/15013814/trump-ahca-congress-vote
    QuotePresident Trump appears unable to make a substantive case for the AHCA

When he tries to sell it, he either talks politics or says Obamacare is bad.

Updated by Andrew [email protected] Mar 22, 2017, 10:40am EDT

The fate of the Republican health bill in the House could rest on President Donald Trump's salesmanship. He pitched himself as the ultimate dealmaker during the campaign, and Speaker Paul Ryan's office has lately been hyping him up as "the ultimate closer." With Republicans still short on votes, his intercession may be the only thing that can save them.

Yet there's one glaring oddity in the pitch Trump's been making: It doesn't include anything even remotely resembling an affirmative case for the actual bill House Republicans have to vote on.

When Trump talks health care in public statements and in accounts of his private meetings, he keeps making the following four pretty simple points:

[LIST=1]
    There is no case for the American Health Care Act itself there. It's all either political or a rote condemnation of Obamacare.

Indeed, Trump has seemingly avoided delving into specifics of the House bill at all costs. Ezra Klein reviewed all his public statements on the bill and concluded that Trump's "comfort zone on both the issue and the legislation is very narrow." Several Trump aides and advisers told Politico's Josh Dawseythat, even privately, the president prefers to talk about practically anything other than health care.

This increasingly appears to be a problem. After Trump spoke to the House Republican Conference on health care Tuesday, Rep. Walter Jones (R-NC) came out of the meeting saying Trump gave "no details" on policy and only said the GOP would have "political problems" if it failed, per CNN's Manu Raju. That wasn't persuasive to Jones, who's still a no.

If a vote looks like it will be politically difficult, it really helps if the president can make a cogent case to members of Congress who care about policy details and/or who are concerned about their constituents that the bill would actually be good and would do good things.

Trump apparently can't. There was a remarkable moment last week when Tucker Carlson asked the president about how "the counties who voted for you would do far less well under this bill." Trump responded by saying, "Oh, I know," and claiming problems like that would be solved in later negotiations. But why not fix the problems now? Why make the party walk the plank on an evidently flawed bill?

Perhaps the president's political logic and his personal influence will, in the end, prove decisive with enough holdout Republicans. But House GOP leaders would certainly feel better right now if they had a president who could actually make a substantive case in favor of the bill they've written.

Who among us hasn't drawn up a proposal to "benefit the Putin Government?"
    Our daily politics roundup will check in on several other stories, so here's a look at more big news of the day:

Today the Associated Press's Jeff Horwitz and Chad Day report that former Trump campaign chair Paul Manafort "secretly worked for a Russian billionaire to advance the interests of Russian President Vladimir Putin a decade ago and proposed an ambitious political strategy to undermine anti-Russian opposition across former Soviet republics."

And they've got documents to back it up.
    Manafort wrote a 2005 memo to Russian billionaire Oleg Deripaska that he could "benefit the Putin Government" by influencing politics, business, and the press in the US. Deripaska then signed Manafort and paid him millions from 2006 until at least 2009. (Manafort claims he worked only on Deripaska's "business and personal matters," not to advance "Russia's political interests.")

Why this matters: Manafort is reportedly a key figure in the FBI investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election. The fact that he had worked for Deripaska and for pro-Russian political actors in Ukraine had long been public, but the written proposal to "benefit the Putin Government" is new.

Neil Gorsuch's testimony on his private conversations with Trump
    One interesting tidbit from day two of Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch's confirmation hearings was that, in response to questioning by Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Gorsuch testified that Trump briefly and vaguely brought up abortion to him.

"The president recounted to me, among other things, how the campaign went in Colorado," Gorsuch said. "He knew I was from Colorado. He was disappointed he had lost Colorado. He said something like, if he had a little more time, he thinks he might have won. Then he said one of the topics that came up during the course of the campaign was abortion and that it was very divisive and split people evenly, he found. Then he moved on to other topics."

Revealing quote of the day
    Here's how one leading Republican says he's thinking about this tumultuous week in politics, per the Washington Post's Philip Rucker and Ashley Parker:

"All that really matters this week is Gorsuch moving forward and the House passing step one of Obamacare repeal," said Scott Reed, a veteran Republican strategist who works for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. "All the rest is noise."

As Matt Yglesias writes, "Trump is delivering, fundamentally, what the business community wants: a light regulatory touch, a business-friendly Supreme Court, and progress toward a big tax cut. ... That means turning a blind eye to Trump's financial conflicts of interest, erratic behavior, and dishonesty while accepting his various doses of xenophobia, Islamophobia, and racism as the electioneering gambits that deliver the goods."

President Donald Trump, in his own words
    "It is fitting that we are in the National Building Museum. Since its founding, the Republican Party has been a party of builders. Many of the great builders are in this audience tonight. Some of them, I have to compete with and I really actually — I don't like very many of them.

...Some of them I like, some of them I truly dislike a lot. But now I like everybody. I like all the great builders. See, now it's different. Now we're all on the same side
    . ... See the guy over there? I couldn't stand that guy for years. He did a good job, couldn't stand him. Now I like you." —The president at a National Building Museum fundraiser for House Republicans Tuesday night

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
    Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
    Jet: I see.
    Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
    --------------------------------------------
    1 Karma Chameleon point