What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: Razgovory on November 09, 2020, 10:06:47 AM
He's going to hold rallies after he's President.  The fig leaf of politics is gone.  It's now just "Come and worship me".

I wish he'd have skipped the whole Presidency thing and just built himself a theater in Branson to begin with.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Zoupa

He's going to hold rallies after he's President.  The fig leaf of politics is gone.  It's now just "Come and worship me".

I never thought about that, but I think you're right. Watch all the networks cover that shit like crazy.

Tamas

Quote from: Zoupa on November 09, 2020, 11:42:51 AM

I never thought about that, but I think you're right. Watch all the networks cover that shit like crazy.

Let's hope not. These rallies will very quickly fade into disinterest.

Orban in Hungary managed to remain the target of adulation and a leader of a powerful political force following his defeats in 2002 and 2006 because his team put a LOT of effort into building and maintaining a national organsiation to keep the fanks mobilised, occupied, and riled up year after year.

Trump I believe lacks both talent and determination to do that, and I think the GOP will not be willing to put the work in for him.

Malthus

Quote from: Zoupa on November 09, 2020, 11:42:51 AM

I'm seriously hoping he just becomes increasingly ignored.

President Trump saying crazy shit is news, because he is President. Ex-President Trump saying crazy shit will be news - for a couple of months - but I hope will fade into the background pretty quickly.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Question for the smartest group of people I know:

What, objectively, did Trump accomplish during his presidency?

I'm looking for true accomplishments not tainted with the "Trump is an evil dictator" brush. (We all agree that he is, and a whole lot of other things. I'm looking for a dispassionate listing of what he actually accomplished.)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: The Brain on November 09, 2020, 11:58:02 AM
Where did you post this question?

Just here. :P

Honestly, you guys are the only friends I have that will dissect his presidency objectively. You recognize that he's the worst, but still do a pretty good job of seeing things dispassionately.

Grey Fox

How would you define accomplish?

One of the first & maybe the only lasting one has to be waking up the western world to the threat that is China.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maladict

Quote from: merithyn on November 09, 2020, 11:52:43 AM

I'm looking for true accomplishments not tainted with the "Trump is an evil dictator" brush. (We all agree that he is, and a whole lot of other things. I'm looking for a dispassionate listing of what he actually accomplished.)

- The judiciary, although he of course did not create those opportunities.
- Taking out most of IS, maybe.
- Space Force? I'm stretching it really thin now, better stop here.

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 09, 2020, 12:05:08 PM

One of the first & maybe the only lasting one has to be waking up the western world to the threat that is China.

I'm looking at what people will say 100 years from now that he did right.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Quote from: merithyn on November 09, 2020, 12:12:51 PM

If he is still remembered in 100 years it will be for something really bad that hasn't happened yet.

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on November 09, 2020, 12:12:51 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 09, 2020, 12:05:08 PM

It's really hard to come up with non-sarcastic answer.  One possible answer might be the vaccine program.  It's conceivable that the government strategy towards developing and distributing a Covid vaccine might in time be viewed much differently than the overall Covid response.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on November 09, 2020, 11:52:43 AM

Honest answer?

Avoiding all the negatives and just mentioning the positives goes against the grain, but I will try ...

Perhaps his greatest accomplishment (though how much he was involved in it I don't know) was in laying the foundations for a regional de jure alliance between Israel and some gulf Arab nations (this has long existed de facto, but I never thought the Arabs would risk the backlash of making it de jure).

This is a pretty significant accomplishment, as the power block it represents could act as a counterbalance against the ambitions of Turkey and Iran - in fact, the main reason it happened is that the Arab nations are scared shitless of being ground in between these two.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius