What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Another issue is that many Senators are in the higher risk groups being advanced in years. They should all self-quarantine anyway.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2020, 08:30:02 AM
Also Paul's conduct is disgraceful - while he was waiting for the test results he was still using the Senate gym (which I feel should be shut down given that it is primarily a gym for the elderly :blink:) and had lunch with Republican Senators.

If he did that, sure. His office/he are denying that he did that (which is to be expected). If he's lying about that, uh...that's way worse.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on March 23, 2020, 10:21:07 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2020, 08:30:02 AM
Also Paul's conduct is disgraceful - while he was waiting for the test results he was still using the Senate gym (which I feel should be shut down given that it is primarily a gym for the elderly :blink:) and had lunch with Republican Senators.

If he did that, sure. His office/he are denying that he did that (which is to be expected). If he's lying about that, uh...that's way worse.
They are saying he immediately went into quarantine after his diagnosis - which I'm sure he did. This is their statement: "We want to be clear, Senator Paul left the Senate IMMEDIATELY upon learning of his diagnosis. He had zero contact with anyone & went into quarantine. Insinuations such as those below that he went to the gym after learning of his results are just completely false & irresponsible!"

The issue is, from what I've seen, he was tested on Friday due to a contact and while waiting for the result was continuing as normal meeting other Senators, using the Senate gym etc. The complaint is that he apparently didn't take any steps to isolate after he was aware he may have it and getting tested, and receiving the result.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

If that was the sequence of events, then I definitely agree he was reckless and disgraceful.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

How does the fact that he's a doctor factor into the evaluation of his behaviour? Even more damning or maybe it gave him a false sense of security?

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2020, 10:29:19 AM
They are saying he immediately went into quarantine after his diagnosis - which I'm sure he did. This is their statement: "We want to be clear, Senator Paul left the Senate IMMEDIATELY upon learning of his diagnosis. He had zero contact with anyone & went into quarantine. Insinuations such as those below that he went to the gym after learning of his results are just completely false & irresponsible!"

The issue is, from what I've seen, he was tested on Friday due to a contact and while waiting for the result was continuing as normal meeting other Senators, using the Senate gym etc. The complaint is that he apparently didn't take any steps to isolate after he was aware he may have it and getting tested, and receiving the result.

Yes. The very specific denial kind of looks like an admission :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 23, 2020, 08:04:44 AM
So... a bunch of Republican senators are now in self-quarantine (some of them because of "it may be a hoax" Rand Paul) and will no longer be able to vote for the next two weeks...

Does that give, de facto, a majority to the Democrats? Can they impose a bunch of measures in the meantime?

(Paul, KY; Cruz, TX; Romney and Lee, UT; Scott, FL; Gardner, CO by my count).

The other Republicans would refuse to show up and deny the Democrats a quorum.  51 Senators must be present for a quorum call to succeed
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Trump's approval rating is up.  What is your major malfunction?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 26, 2020, 08:43:51 AM
Trump's approval rating is up.  What is your major malfunction?

President always gets a short term boost in a crisis.  Carter for example got a big bump in approval from the onset of the Iran hostage crisis.
Trump's approval bump is actually unusually low for such a situation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Yeah, there's always a "rally around the flag" moment when a crisis starts.

PDH

Quote from: celedhring on March 26, 2020, 11:10:58 AM
Yeah, there's always a "rally around the flag" moment when a crisis starts.

Great, way to destroy social distancing.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

As with everything Trump-related, in this crisis, people who love him love him more, and people who hate him won't turn around.  The only ones affected by rallying around the flag are the ones in the middle, and just being in the middle at all in 2020 is already a malfunction in itself.  The tragic thing is that in this time of crisis, Trumpism can literally turn into a death cult.