What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2020, 05:51:57 PM
I tend to agree - a drop in the stock market is just those fat cat "globalists" losing money.  A lot of Trump voters don't exactly have a 401k to fall back on.

My sense of it as well. I am sure many care about the stock market, but almost in a totemic sense - a sign of whether things are good (because of Republicans) or bad (because of Democrats).
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

I think y'all are overestimating the percentage of Trump supporters who are jobless Ohio meth heads.

The few times I've managed to get a conversation going about the Trump administration, the recurring themes are economy is great, Hillary sucks, and too much welfare.

The Minsky Moment

The Trump supporters I know - and I do know quite a few - also fit firmly into the Yi paradigm.  Although admittedly my personal exposure to jobless Ohio meth heads is limited.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2020, 05:59:56 PMthe recurring themes are economy is great,

Is "the economy is great" assessed by the stock exchange, by job creation, by taxes, by what?

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Oexmelin

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 27, 2020, 06:08:40 PM
The Trump supporters I know - and I do know quite a few - also fit firmly into the Yi paradigm.  Although admittedly my personal exposure to jobless Ohio meth heads is limited.

Those I know don't seem to fit into Yi's authoritarian high-priests of the market either. Solidly working class cultural Republicans who defend unions but rail against welfare queens.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 27, 2020, 06:10:21 PM
Is "the economy is great" assessed by the stock exchange, by job creation, by taxes, by what?

Yes!

Oexmelin

dps

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 27, 2020, 06:12:51 PM

Those I know don't seem to fit into Yi's authoritarian high-priests of the market either. Solidly working class cultural Republicans who defend unions but rail against welfare queens.

No true Republican is pro-union.  But then again, we're just about out of true Republicans.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on February 27, 2020, 07:54:49 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on February 27, 2020, 06:12:51 PM

No true Republican is pro-union.  But then again, we're just about out of true Republicans.
No true Scotsman is a Republican either.

Eddie Teach

Well, DPS is right. Those voters haven't traditionally been Republican.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maximus

Are you doing this on purpose?

dps

Quote from: Maximus on February 27, 2020, 08:31:54 PM

I dunno, it depends on what you think I'm doing.

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 27, 2020, 06:10:21 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2020, 05:59:56 PMthe recurring themes are economy is great,

The economy is great because Trump says it's great.  Previously the economy was terrible because Donald Trump said it was.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: dps on February 27, 2020, 09:25:12 PM
Quote from: Maximus on February 27, 2020, 08:31:54 PM

I dunno, it depends on what you think I'm doing.

Flag bearers tend to wander about a bit unpredictably, it's the load of the flagstaff pressing too close to their nether regions.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"