What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

It does seemike he is interpreting the failure of the impeachment as he now can freely do whatever the F he wants.

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 21, 2020, 12:42:17 PM
You're not an authoritarian unless you have a hard-on for fake Roman buildings.

More Fasces!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2020, 01:06:14 PM
It does seemike he is interpreting the failure of the impeachment as he now can freely do whatever the F he wants.
I mean...how else would you interpret it?
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 21, 2020, 02:14:24 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2020, 01:06:14 PM
I mean...how else would you interpret it?

Yeah. Even a broken clock is right once in a while.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 21, 2020, 12:54:56 PM
I'm not entirely opposed :ph34r:

Not entirely opposed to what?  This seems like another Trump masturbatory project that will be forgotten as soon as he ejaculates.  There's no there, there.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

As someone who sees these buildings in DC every day, I'm all for them looking exactly the same. If you're a tourist and you get lost because everything looks the same, well fuck you.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Minsky Moment

The most beautiful federal building erected in the last 2 decades is the US courthouse in Austin.

The traditional building it replaced was a total dump.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 21, 2020, 03:39:55 PM
The most beautiful federal building erected in the last 2 decades is the US courthouse in Austin.

The traditional building it replaced was a total dump.

Yeah it is a very Central Texas type building. White Limestone :wub:

And traditional? The old building was Art Deco from the 1930s and was pretty cool :unsure: I mean it was perfectly modern when it was built.

I went there when I was on the Federal Grand Jury back in 2006.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on February 21, 2020, 02:21:24 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 21, 2020, 12:54:56 PM
I'm not entirely opposed :ph34r:

Not entirely opposed to what?  This seems like another Trump masturbatory project that will be forgotten as soon as he ejaculates.  There's no there, there.
Yeah - I wouldn't trust Trump with this decision given his taste :x

But I think it's not a bad idea to re-emphasis beauty (and ornament). I'm a big fan of brutalism and the international style - and spend any ungodly amount of time looking up pictures of post-modern buildings with nostalgia. But I think it's fair to say that while they've got some buildings that are superb, the average, mediocre building is probably more ugly than the average, mediocre building in other styles. Also there is a dull sameiness about some of them. The UNAM building, say, is exceptional. But there's plenty of government buildings or "recently regenerated neighbourhood" designs that I have seen eastern Europe, in Latin America, in Croydon that are basically interchangeable and that makes me sad.

And I partly agree with this tremendous piece:
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/10/why-you-hate-contemporary-architecture
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 21, 2020, 04:07:57 PM

This isn't what Trump is thinking.  If he had his way, Paris would be covered with buildings looking like the Tour Monparnasse, but with his name emblazoned on them. He has nothing against concrete edifices and plazas.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Yeah - as I say I wouldn't trust Trump with this or any decision relating to taste. But I can get behind the principle.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 21, 2020, 04:07:57 PM

QuoteThere is a widespread conception, reinforced by conservative classicists, that "beauty" is just a euphemism for European imperialist art.

:wacko:

I mean what? I mean who was more likely to build a decorative building? The Protestant Brits or the Hindu Indians? Obviously not the Indians, it was strictly form follows function. That is what India has always been known for until those Europeans showed up and made them decorate stuff at the end of a bayonet.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

That's not what it's saying though :mellow:

Edit: Also while the best buildings in Britain were all Catholic until they were stolen, the Protestants have some good design moments too <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 21, 2020, 05:14:53 PM
That's not what it's saying though :mellow:

Oh? The article makes that same point just a few sentences later :mellow:

QuoteWhen we talk about architectural beauty, we're talking about a quality held in common across civilizations, one that unifies Indians and Mayans and Spaniards.