What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

So modest! So self-effacing!

What's the context of the quote?  Did Mitch say something?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2019, 12:36:18 PM
So modest! So self-effacing!

What's the context of the quote?  Did Mitch say something?

The context was the Moscow Mitch twitter trend.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 01, 2019, 12:33:24 PM
Oh, come now, if you liked him that would be a funny line.

What's objectively not funny is the core of truth in that statement: he really is bereft of any interest in considering or addressing the threat to US national security presented by ongoing Russian influence operations.  Dereliction of duty by the C-in-C is no joke.

Mueller has a point - the key takeaway of his report has been ignored.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on August 01, 2019, 12:20:50 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 01, 2019, 11:34:49 AM
Donald Trump on Mitch McConnell

"[He] is a man that knows less about Russia and Russian influence than even Donald Trump, and I know nothing."

I... um....

.... why does anyone support this guy again??  :huh:

He hurts people.  That is why he is supported.  This was published two years ago, and it reveals probably the most important aspect of the Trump Cult.  https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/8/18173678/trump-shutdown-voter-florida
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Yup, why even try to understand his supporters when it's much easier & more satisfying to vilify them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Seriously, Raz, you're linking an article making a sweeping claim on the basis of one woman's statement.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PJL

Quote from: derspiess on August 01, 2019, 04:34:09 PM
Yup, why even try to understand his supporters when it's much easier & more satisfying to vilify them.

Trump supporters are beyond redemption. Much better to vilify them in order to rally the base. Because that's the only viable strategy left. There is no centre.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on August 01, 2019, 04:34:09 PM

We've been trying to understand them for decades.  There is a certain point when you have to conclude that people who stockpile arms for the express purpose of  killing you actually mean you harm.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

The vast majority of Trump supporters are not stockpiling arms with the purpose of killing you.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 01, 2019, 05:16:46 PM
The vast majority of Trump supporters are not stockpiling arms with the purpose of killing you.

You are admitting that some are  ;)

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 01, 2019, 05:27:28 PM

You are admitting that some are  ;)

I suspect that some supporters of any given politician are doing so.  Even if the politician in question is just the local dogcatcher (and yes, for the benefit of our foreign posters, in some US jurisdictions dogcatcher is an elected position).

Razgovory

Only the ones in Missouri.  The ones in other states have other people they wish to kill.

The Minsky Moment

I can think of one "supporter" that fantasizes along those lines:

QuoteYou know, the left plays a tougher game, it's very funny. I actually think that the people on the right are tougher, but they don't play it tougher. Okay? I can tell you I have the support of the police, the support of the military, the support of the Bikers for Trump–I have the tough people, but they don't play it tough—until they go to a certain point, and then it would be very bad, very bad.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

I think the causation is flipped BTW.  I don't think people are drawn to Trump because they like the idea of inflicting pain on others.  I think Trump likes the idea of inflicting pain on others ("beat the crap out of him") and insinuates those ideas to people who support him.
--Joan Robinson