News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2018, 01:11:03 PMThe smart thing would have been to ignore the entire issue.  The Saudis have done much worse in the past and we looked past it.  Trump is statements make it look like the USA is beholden to the Saudis.

Yeah true. But he does lay out very clearly the Realpolitik in the US relationship to the Saudis. If the US was smart they'd use the factional infighting and the murder as leverage with regard to the Saudi misadventure in Yemen.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Quote from: Syt on November 21, 2018, 03:44:00 PM
QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Oil prices getting lower. Great! Like a big Tax Cut for America and the World. Enjoy! $54, was just $82. Thank you to Saudi Arabia, but let's go lower!

His patronizing "Enjoy!" that he injects in some of his tweets is something that really irks me.

His best troll tweets contain trolls nested within them. Fractal trolling.  ^_^

Razgovory

Quote from: Legbiter on November 21, 2018, 06:20:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2018, 01:11:03 PMThe smart thing would have been to ignore the entire issue.  The Saudis have done much worse in the past and we looked past it.  Trump is statements make it look like the USA is beholden to the Saudis.

Yeah true. But he does lay out very clearly the Realpolitik in the US relationship to the Saudis. If the US was smart they'd use the factional infighting and the murder as leverage with regard to the Saudi misadventure in Yemen.

Laying out the Realpolitik makes you look weak.  We can't stand up to the Saudis, we need them!  For a man who is obsessed with Strength, Trump really can't tell the difference between weakness and strength.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Legbiter

Issuing sanctimonius blather about the embarrassing results of Saudi palace intrigue and then continuing on as usual would maybe have been better, yes.

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on November 21, 2018, 06:35:04 PM
QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Oil prices getting lower. Great! Like a big Tax Cut for America and the World. Enjoy! $54, was just $82. Thank you to Saudi Arabia, but let's go lower!

His patronizing "Enjoy!" that he injects in some of his tweets is something that really irks me.

Yeah except he is the President and not Jaron.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2018, 07:12:16 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on November 21, 2018, 06:35:04 PM
QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Yeah except he is the President and not Jaron.

That means his trolling reaches a wider audience.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

How sending our money over to the Saudis who then use it to spread radical Islam which costs us trillions of public dollars we do not have and puts thousands of American lives in danger is realpolitik I can never figure out. Realpolitik for national suicide I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2018, 07:15:50 PM
How is sending our money over to the Saudis who then use it to spread radical Islam which costs us trillions of public dollars we do not have and puts thousands of American lives in danger is realpolitik I can never figure out. Realpolitik for national suicide I guess.

Beats me Valmy. If it was up to me Saudi Arabia would be a Fallout-style wasteland populated solely by radscorpions and resettled Appalachian mountain folk.

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 21, 2018, 07:15:15 PM
That means his trolling reaches a wider audience.

Yeah but the other difference is when Jaron does it, it is funny. When the President does it, it is just sad.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Legbiter on November 21, 2018, 06:20:52 PM

Trump mentioned the misadventure positively in his note.  We're mid-air refueling their jets. 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Legbiter on November 21, 2018, 06:48:40 PM
Issuing sanctimonius blather about the embarrassing results of Saudi palace intrigue and then continuing on as usual would maybe have been better, yes.

Yes if you are going to do business as usual, that's the way it's done. It's really not that complicated, even a real estate mogul should be able to figure it out.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2018, 04:33:36 PM
How many people have died from Leftist attacks in the last 10 years in Quebec? Don't answer with the number of tires slashed or something similar.  Just the number of people killed.
Except for Bissonnette's murders, I can't think of a single muslim dying from a deliberate, criminal act in Quebec.  I can't even remember any muslim being beaten or otherwise violently attacked in the streets either.  I can't think of a single Jew either, for the same circumstances.

Yet, extreme right is viewed as extremely dangerous here.

Shall we wait until something serious happens? I mean, something from a real neo-nazi, part of the movements&all?  Someone who can clearly be identified as a nazi, not some loner living in his parent's basement like most of your mass shooters?  A real racist attack, American-X type of thing.  Do we wait for that?

Meanwhile, a popular union dude just threatened the Prime Minister with retaliation if Ontarian workers were to enter the province.  With his story sheet, he didn't mean a poem fight.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: chipwich on November 20, 2018, 02:02:46 AM
Can a neutral observer tell me if arrests without charges are a thing in Quebec?
only for some protests, after the same organization has committed multiple vandalism acts.https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-mna-amir-khadir-arrested-at-protest-1.1173818
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2018, 11:31:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2018, 04:33:36 PM
How many people have died from Leftist attacks in the last 10 years in Quebec? Don't answer with the number of tires slashed or something similar.  Just the number of people killed.
Except for Bissonnette's murders

Why should we discount these murders?

You didn't post any examples deaths from left-wing terrorist attacks.  Am I to understand that left-wing terrorist attacks have a similar death toll as say werewolfs, Sith, Kirlian energy?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2018, 11:31:36 PM
Yet, extreme right is viewed as extremely dangerous here.

They are. They are very racist.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.