News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

I guess we can take comfort in the fact that no Saudi has ever attacked the United States.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Monoriu

I know the Iranians aren't saints, but it seems very strange to drag them into this. 

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on November 21, 2018, 10:14:58 AM
I know the Iranians aren't saints, but it seems very strange to drag them into this.

I think the message is that they can't turn against the Saudis, no matter how evil their leaders act, because the Saudis act to block the Iranians from their ambitions, and the Iranians are dangerous to American interests.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

The "they are cunts, but they are our cunts" train of thought has never come back to bite anybody, ever. Particularly with Saudis involved.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on November 21, 2018, 10:26:48 AM
The "they are cunts, but they are our cunts" train of thought has never come back to bite anybody, ever. Particularly with Saudis involved.

Cold War support for Islamic militants in Afghanistan also springs to mind.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on November 21, 2018, 10:40:27 AM

Cold War support for Islamic militants in Afghanistan also springs to mind.  ;)

You need to secure victory in today's battle before fighting tomorrow's.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

The smart thing would have been to ignore the entire issue.  The Saudis have done much worse in the past and we looked past it.  Trump is statements make it look like the USA is beholden to the Saudis.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2018, 01:11:03 PM

The smart thing would have been to ignore the entire issue.  The Saudis have done much worse in the past and we looked past it.  Trump is statements make it look like the USA is beholden to the Saudis.

Agree.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

celedhring

I don't think it would have been that easy to avoid the controversy, given the international uproar. It even spawned a mini crisis over here since we sell arms to the Saudis.

Admiral Yi

The diplomatic equivalent of ignoring is to express grave concerns and then hope the story dies.

Syt

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Oil prices getting lower. Great! Like a big Tax Cut for America and the World. Enjoy! $54, was just $82. Thank you to Saudi Arabia, but let's go lower!

His patronizing "Enjoy!" that he injects in some of his tweets is something that really irks me.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also:

https://secondnexus.com/news/john-roberts-donald-trump-judges/

QuoteSupreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts railed against President Donald Trump after Trump chided a federal judge who ruled against the president's ban on asylum-seekers.

On Tuesday, Judge Jon S. Tigar of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California temporarily blocked the federal government from denying entry to migrants seeking political asylum between legal points of entry at the southern border.

"Whatever the scope of the president's authority," Tigar said in his opinion, "he may not rewrite the immigration laws to impose a condition that Congress has expressly forbidden."

Trump, in response, called the ruling a "disgrace" and denounced Tigar as an "Obama judge," echoing his administration's growing frustration with the judiciary. Trump then issued a threat against the Ninth Circuit, which has routinely bucked Trump's policies.

"We're gonna have to look at that," Trump blustered. "This was an Obama judge. And I'll tell you what, it's not going to happen anymore."

In a rare statement to the Associated Press on Wednesday, Roberts denounced Trump's ire with the courts and pressed the importance of having an independent judiciary.

"We do not have Obama judges or Trump judges, Bush judges or Clinton judges," Roberts charged. "What we have is an extraordinary group of dedicated judges doing their level best to do equal right to those appearing before them."

Roberts added: "That independent judiciary is something we should be thankful for."

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

That's nice Donald, but still higher then it was when the election happened and also when you took office.

BTW haven't heard much talk about the stock market lately.  Cat got your tongue?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Re Tigar statement: Once a Roy Cohn disciple, always a Roy Cohn disciple.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Roy Cohn, Juan Peron, Toscanini, Dacron.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?