What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on November 09, 2016, 08:08:42 PM
There are a couple wineries in the upper peninsula; but the wines you've had are almost certainly from the northern edge of the lower peninsula.  The Leelanau and Old Mission Peninsulas wines are the ones that usually win awards and such.

Ah yeah that's right but i do remember at least one from UP.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2016, 08:19:43 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 09, 2016, 08:08:42 PM
There are a couple wineries in the upper peninsula; but the wines you've had are almost certainly from the northern edge of the lower peninsula.  The Leelanau and Old Mission Peninsulas wines are the ones that usually win awards and such.

Ah yeah that's right but i do remember at least one from UP.

You're up on me; even I haven't had a wine from da Yoops.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Richard Hakluyt

I believe that all 50 of the US states produce their own wine. One day I would like to fly over, hire or buy a nice RV, and tour the USA sampling those wines and engaging random citizens in conversation about the wine.

But only one week in California  :hmm: ?

I guess the holiday idea is also an illustration of how vast the USA actually is.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on November 09, 2016, 08:24:17 PM

Makinaw something or other?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2016, 08:18:22 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on November 09, 2016, 08:11:51 PM
the voters were all coming at it from different perspectives. blame the candidate, not the voters. that doesn't accomplish anything. as much as I like hillary, she just wasn't the right candidate for this election.

And out of those perspectives, only one made sense: keeping Trump out of the White House.

I'm not saying those voters weren't objectively wrong. they based their vote on some terrible factors, but it made sense to them to do it. you can't change them, and they exist, so the party has to get someone who can send a sufficient enough message to appeal to them while also appealing to the rest of the democratic states if it wants to take back the blue wall. blaming berniebots or whoever doesn't really accomplish much, and I don't think it's fair because I think it was more hillary and her team's fault more than anything.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2016, 08:25:50 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 09, 2016, 08:24:17 PM

Makinaw something or other?

Mackinaw City is the lower peninsula (though just south of the Straights of Mackinac (no, neither one is a typo.))
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on November 09, 2016, 08:30:47 PM
I'm not saying those voters weren't objectively wrong. they based their vote on some terrible factors, but it made sense to them to do it. you can't change them, and they exist, so the party has to get someone who can send a sufficient enough message to appeal to them while also appealing to the rest of the democratic states if it wants to take back the blue wall. blaming berniebots or whoever doesn't really accomplish much, and I don't think it's fair because I think it was more hillary and her team's fault more than anything.

I do blame the voters; they are sovereign.  They are independent adults, responsible for their own decisions.

The Minsky Moment

Anyways . . .:)
Wherever the hell they were from some of those Michy wines were pretty good.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2016, 08:38:06 PM
I do blame the voters; they are sovereign.  They are independent adults, responsible for their own decisions.

Cliche, but it works.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2016, 08:38:06 PMI do blame the voters; they are sovereign.  They are independent adults, responsible for their own decisions.

a lot of people lack the upbringing, time, money, opportunity, simple lack of care, etc., etc. to educate themselves enough to understand the true implications a vote for trump could have on the US.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on November 09, 2016, 08:54:34 PM
a lot of people lack the upbringing, time, money, opportunity, simple lack of care, etc., etc. to educate themselves enough to understand the true implications a vote for trump could have on the US.

Wow. 

The true implications?  He was very specific with the true implications.  He stated them aloud.  In public.

Admiral Yi

Lack of simple lack of care is not an excuse, it's a critique.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 09, 2016, 09:09:02 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on November 09, 2016, 08:54:34 PM

Wow. 

The true implications?  He was very specific with the true implications.  He stated them aloud.  In public.

No they lack the education to read between the lines of what he said, something that's now enabling lots of privileged people to suck up to him and probably enjoy some of his favour after January.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Alcibiades

Well, it's not my fault, I voted for Harambe.   
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on November 09, 2016, 09:22:23 PM
No they lack the education to read between the lines of what he said, something that's now enabling lots of privileged people to suck up to him and probably enjoy some of his favour after January.

There's no "between the lines" about his vulgarities, his insults, his threats. 

The wall.  Biggest tax cuts since Ronald Reagan. Hiring freeze on the federal government.  Canceling Paris climate agreement.  Repeal Obamacare.  Banning Muslims from entering the United States.  A deportation force.  NAFTA.  TPP.  NATO.

Between the lines.  The fuck, man.