What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Trump and Ryan are headed for a collision course on the deficit.  Guess we'll find out if the House rank and file were paying lip service to the deficit during the Obama admin or they really meant it.

One potential upside of this election is it might compel the Democratic party to reconsider their unconditional support for Big Labor.

Barrister

Yeah - very interested to see how Ryan and Trump are going to get along.  This is the reason why normal politicians don't typically pick fights with members of their own party during election campaigns - you need them once it's time to govern.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2016, 11:25:24 AM
Trump and Ryan are headed for a collision course on the deficit.  Guess we'll find out if the House rank and file were paying lip service to the deficit during the Obama admin or they really meant it.

One potential upside of this election is it might compel the Democratic party to reconsider their unconditional support for Big Labor.

Well, Big labor went Trump. Or at least the unions did.

Which is why I thought DG was kind of amusing blaming it on "moderates".

Trump was elected in large part by a bunch of people voting for him who voted for Obama.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2016, 11:32:17 AM
Yeah - very interested to see how Ryan and Trump are going to get along.  This is the reason why normal politicians don't typically pick fights with members of their own party during election campaigns - you need them once it's time to govern.

Ryan's position as Speaker is weak though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2016, 11:42:41 AM

Is it?  After they turfed Boehner they practically begged Ryan to take the job.  I'm not sure there's any real support for another candidate.

I guess we'll see.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2016, 11:53:35 AM
Is it?  After they turfed Boehner they practically begged Ryan to take the job.  I'm not sure there's any real support for another candidate.

I guess we'll see.

The fact there is no other candidate doesn't mean the rank and file are going to line up behind him on every vote.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2016, 11:09:15 AM
Agreed. Totally unworkable.  There is no "Replace" in Repeal and Replace.
ACA is going to a big problem for this new administration/Congress.  I don't see how they can square the circle.

Luckily for people like me, no premiums > high premiums :yeah:

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2016, 11:39:23 AM

Trump was elected in large part by a bunch of people voting for him who voted for Obama.
I'm not blaming the moderates for voting for Trump.  I'm blaming them for treating both parties as pieces of shit that stink more or less the same, when in fact they were completely different entities playing completely different game. 

"Both parties are shit, big money rules."  Never mind that Citizens United was 5 Republicans for and 4 Democrats against.  Multiply that inability to attribute outcomes to actions times a hundred, and apply it to significant portion of the electorate, and evil triumphs eventually.

CountDeMoney

dont have access to stats at the moment, but did I hear correctly that Romney had more votes nationally in his loss in 2012 than Trump got in his victory?

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2016, 12:11:02 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2016, 11:39:23 AM

I'm not blaming the moderates for voting for Trump.  I'm blaming them for treating both parties as pieces of shit that stink more or less the same, when in fact they were completely different entities playing completely different game. 

"Both parties are shit, big money rules."  Never mind that Citizens United was 5 Republicans for and 4 Democrats against.  Multiply that inability to attribute outcomes to actions times a hundred, and apply it to significant portion of the electorate, and evil triumphs eventually.

OK, fair enough. I won't take it to your level, but I cannot argue with pointing out the rather stunning fallacy of false equivalences this campaign was based on...

0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 09, 2016, 12:13:55 PM
dont have access to stats at the moment, but did I hear correctly that Romney had more votes nationally in his loss in 2012 than Trump got in his victory?

According to Wiki:
2012 Obama: 65,915,795
2012 Romney: 60,933,504

2016 Trump: 59,265,360
2016 Clinton: 59,458,773

Are all votes accounted for yet?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Wait did the Democrats lose yet another Presidential Election after winning the popular vote? Damn.  This is the fourth time that has happened. Maybe the fifth time if you count Andrew Jackson.

Samuel Tildon, Grover Cleveland, Al Gore, and Hillary Clinton.

Well no way in hell we are ever getting rid of the Electoral College now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2016, 11:53:35 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2016, 11:42:41 AM

I guess we'll see.

Is there a trumpian house contingent?

At the time Ryan became speaker, trumpian type politics were viewed as a ticket to a gop permanent minority. Ryan's politics were viewed as the only viable way for the GOP to compete nationally. That may have just changed, and house republicans may be inclined to move toward their party's new leader.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2016, 12:22:43 PM
Wait did the Democrats lose yet another Presidential Election after winning the popular vote? Damn.  This is the fourth time that has happened. Maybe the fifth time if you count Andrew Jackson.

It really isn't surprising.

The electoral college gives outsized representation to rural voters, who vote Republican.

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2016, 12:31:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2016, 12:22:43 PM

It really isn't surprising.

The electoral college gives outsized representation to rural voters, who vote Republican.

Yeah but this was not necessarily true for Tilden and Cleveland. Just a bizarre coincidence that every single time this has happened it has taken down the same party.