What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

I am sure people know the man who gave them countless hours of joy reading Garfield comics.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 23, 2017, 08:57:25 PM
That Jeff Davis stat.  :yucky:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2017/08/trump-holds-steady-after-charlottesville-supporters-think-whites-christians-face-discrimination.html
PPP's newest national poll finds that Donald Trump's approval rating is pretty steady in the wake of the Charlottesville attack, probably because his supporters think that whites and Christians are the most oppressed groups of people in the country.

This is the kind of clueless, self-delusional wackery that gives oxygen to the "Check Your Privlege" crowd.  If you REALLY think that the most oppressed people in the country are white people and Christians, then yeah - you really do need to check your privilege.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Whoa, so you don't support the checking of the privileges?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

He's a Jewish lawyer in New York. All the boxes are checked.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Lord Commander Pence is right and good. Praise be!
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 23, 2017, 11:59:25 PM
Whoa, so you don't support the checking of the privileges?

As far as Minsky's concerned, we're not that far removed from the checking of the papers.

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/24/buy-twitter-ban-trump-valerie-plame-wilson-cia-agent

QuoteBuy Twitter, ban Trump: former CIA agent tries to crowdfund $1bn purchase

Valerie Plame Wilson says Trump's tweets 'damage the country and put people in harm's way' but a majority stake in company would cost about $6bn
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Maybe she should buy Fox, CNN and all the networks so they don't report on whatever social media outlet Trump chooses to take its place.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

As much as I find using ownership power of media outlets to silence people to be distateful, the train has already left the station. One of Steve Bannon's allies -- David Smith of Sinclair Broadcasting - has acquired a vast network of local TV stations.  Sinclair routinely pushes "must run" segments down on the local affiliates that are basically pro-Trump propaganda.  This is possible because the GOP finally knocked out the Fairness Doctrine, and because Trump's FCC waived the usual caps on common control of local TV affiliates.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

:secret:
QuoteFew, if any, Administrations have done more in just 7 months than the Trump A. Bills passed, regulations killed, border, military, ISIS, SC!

Valmy

Yeah there will never be convincing some people. They consider breathing oxygen an amazing and unprecedented achievement.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

It is true that few administrations have done more to make America look bad and untrustworthy in their first 7 months.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 25, 2017, 09:08:55 AM
As much as I find using ownership power of media outlets to silence people to be distateful, the train has already left the station. One of Steve Bannon's allies -- David Smith of Sinclair Broadcasting - has acquired a vast network of local TV stations.  Sinclair routinely pushes "must run" segments down on the local affiliates that are basically pro-Trump propaganda.  This is possible because the GOP finally knocked out the Fairness Doctrine, and because Trump's FCC waived the usual caps on common control of local TV affiliates.

From recently, front pages (online editions) of regional Hungarian newspapers, supposedly entirely independent of each other, but owned by the same oligarch:

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2017, 09:17:49 AM
Yeah there will never be convincing some people. They consider breathing oxygen an amazing and unprecedented achievement.

I'd be worried about Trump and his ilk successfully building an alternative reality that will keep them in power because no other political group will be able to mobilise so many people. If Orban could do it, American populists can manage as well.

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on August 19, 2017, 11:38:55 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on August 18, 2017, 08:58:29 PM
Guys, this has been the best infrastructure week ever

:lol:

I think this is the fourth week in a row that CNN has written some variation of "Trump's Worst Week."  At the moment I have a hard time believing he could top this one, but that was probably true for the last three weeks as well.

Week isn't over with; but I think Trump finally broke the streak.  This week included Trump's crazed rant in Phoenix; former head of National Intelligence, James Clapper, questioning his fitness to be in office; and a threat to shut down the government over the border wall.  Yet, by the standards of Trump, this was a pretty good week.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock